Illness, drugs, abx during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Illness, drugs, abx during pregnancy

So today I got tentatively diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a 'vulvar skin condition of unknown origin' kind of like psoriasis. I've had symptoms for a couple of months that I was really worried about, so it's a relief to have a diagnosis (I didn't get a biopsy but the gyno is pretty sure it's what I have). Anyway I've never had anything worse than the flu while pregnant before, and now I've been prescribed antibiotics as well as a topical steroid cream. I normally treat things naturally as much as possible and am really anxious about taking abx while pregnant. Does anyone have any experience with either taking abx or using a steroid cream or other strong medication while pregnant? Obviously the Dr assures me both are safe in pregnancy but I am still wary. I haven't filled out either prescription yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I wish I had an answer for you! I'm assuming you probably asked about other remedies you could try before antibiotics. If there aren't any other options, I would probably take them and just take probiotics during and for a couple of weeks after your course of treatment. I'm sure there's plenty of time for your gut bacteria to get back to normal before birth. I hope the treatment works for you!
#3 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for responding! That's a good call with the probiotics. I think I'm actually not going to take the abx - I did ask if I could avoid them and the dr. advised I could try the topical steroid for a week and if it improves skip the abx. But I'm really not down with the steroid! I'm going to wing it with some natural remedies first to see where I get.

#4 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So today I got tentatively diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a 'vulvar skin condition of unknown origin' kind of like psoriasis.
#5 of 6 Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLtheTinkerbell View Post
So today I got tentatively diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, a 'vulvar skin condition of unknown origin' kind of like psoriasis. I've had symptoms for a couple of months that I was really worried about, so it's a relief to have a diagnosis (I didn't get a biopsy but the gyno is pretty sure it's what I have). Anyway I've never had anything worse than the flu while pregnant before, and now I've been prescribed antibiotics as well as a topical steroid cream. I normally treat things naturally as much as possible and am really anxious about taking abx while pregnant. Does anyone have any experience with either taking abx or using a steroid cream or other strong medication while pregnant? Obviously the Dr assures me both are safe in pregnancy but I am still wary. I haven't filled out either prescription yet.
I'm sorry you're going through that! I was on antibiotics (and not safe ones) 3 different times during my first pregnancy. I had severe strept, a horrible UTI, and a debilitating sinus infection. It's like I got preggo and my immune system gave up. I took the antibiotics because I needed to (wasn't happy about it), and my son was born completely healthy, perfect APGAR score, and weighed over 9lbs!
#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
How are you feeling now, LLtheTinkerbell? Did you find any alternative treatments?

Tags
antibiotics , illness , lichen sclerosis , steroid

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page