• 1 Post By zile11
  • 1 Post By MamaLeigh
  • 1 Post By BarefootBrooke

#1 of 20 Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
It's a boy!

We just got back our NIPT results and it's a boy (and a chromosomally normal one)! I think this is what I was secretly hoping for, since I got so annoyed when people told me they were hoping for a girl for me this time (I already have a son, so why wouldn't I want another?! He is awesome!). Anyone else finding out gender yet? Or is anyone waiting until birth to find out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats!!!!!!! So exciting!!!! I'm 9 weeks. We didn't find out last time but might do it this time
#3 of 20 Old 05-28-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeigh View Post
Congrats!!!!!!! So exciting!!!! I'm 9 weeks. We didn't find out last time but might do it this time
So many of my friends have opted to not find out before birth! But, I want to know everything I can as soon as I can--it would be very hard for me to wait if I didn't absolutely have to! Are both you and your partner on the same page regarding finding out (or not)?

#4 of 20 Old 05-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Yeah, it's so funny. We're not into blue for boys and pink for girls so it doesn't make a difference in terms of clothes and gear and being "prepared". We gravitate towards gender neutral stuff. Last time around we were like "we're going to find out at birth, so why found out ahead of time...it doesn't change anything" And this time we're both like "we're going to find out eventually anyway, so we might as well find out now!" Ha! I'm glad my husband and I are on the same page My appointments are all messed up right now so I'm not sure when we'll get the test done. It's either the week after next, or the one after that. I'm excited! And also anxious to find out if things are ok with the baby. I'm not even 10 weeks, so I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but I've pretty much planned the next year of my life already
Remind me how old your son is? Is he excited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBrooke View Post
So many of my friends have opted to not find out before birth! But, I want to know everything I can as soon as I can--it would be very hard for me to wait if I didn't absolutely have to! Are both you and your partner on the same page regarding finding out (or not)?
#5 of 20 Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

He's 22 months...it's hard to say if he's excited, because I don't know how much he really understands what is happening. He really liked the big brother book DH got for him, and he seemed excited about playing with trains with a little brother (something that happens in the book). But, sometimes he points to himself and looks confused when I talk about the baby. How old are your kids? Are they excited?

Yeah, we do mostly gender neutral stuff too so it didn't matter for that, but I just like knowing as much as I can! If I could know things like hair color and personality early, I would want to know that too. I hope your appointment goes well when it happens!
MamaLeigh likes this.
#6 of 20 Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congratulations!! That's super exciting!! Now I'm on the fence about finding out the gender ahead of time....we didn't with our first two but I kind of want to this time!

Is the NIPT the genetic testing? I have declined that too but now I'm wondering if we should go for it. What made you decide to do it? Again...torn!
MamaLeigh likes this.
#7 of 20 Old 06-01-2017, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLtheTinkerbell View Post
Congratulations!! That's super exciting!! Now I'm on the fence about finding out the gender ahead of time....we didn't with our first two but I kind of want to this time!

Is the NIPT the genetic testing? I have declined that too but now I'm wondering if we should go for it. What made you decide to do it? Again...torn!
Yes, it tests for Downs, Edwards, and one other genetic problem (and as a bonus you get to find out the gender). It was really new when I was pregnant the first time, but it's just a simple blood draw with no risks and my insurance covered it. It had been really hard to get pregnant with my son and I have really irregular cycles, so I had a nagging fear that something was wrong with my eggs. The results made me feel better, and then when a calcium spot was found on my son's heart later at the anatomy scan (which can be a marker for Downs though harmless itself), I didn't have to worry because I already knew he didn't have that. I did it with this pregnancy because I was so glad I had done it last time. We didn't do any other genetic testing though and I would have refused the nuchal translucency scans and quad tests if my midwife actually did those (not very accurate and with high rates of false positives--I don't want to worry pointlessly). I think you have to do NIPT by 13 weeks though, so you might have to check if you can still do it.
MamaLeigh likes this.
#8 of 20 Old 06-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
He's 22 months...it's hard to say if he's excited, because I don't know how much he really understands what is happening. He really liked the big brother book DH got for him, and he seemed excited about playing with trains with a little brother (something that happens in the book). But, sometimes he points to himself and looks confused when I talk about the baby. How old are your kids? Are they excited?

Yeah, we do mostly gender neutral stuff too so it didn't matter for that, but I just like knowing as much as I can! If I could know things like hair color and personality early, I would want to know that too. I hope your appointment goes well when it happens!
Haha, we'll probably be able to find out all that stuff sooner than we think. It's crazy how fast science is advancing!!
That's nice he has a book to get excited about things and have a framework for what's to come My son is 5 1/2. I'm REALLY showing already, even though I'm only 10 weeks (yikes!!!), and people are noticing, so we might end up telling him this weekend, before I do the genetic testing. He has several friends his age who are onlies, and he's never asked for a sibling so I'm curious to see how he'll react.
#9 of 20 Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeigh View Post
Haha, we'll probably be able to find out all that stuff sooner than we think. It's crazy how fast science is advancing!!
That's nice he has a book to get excited about things and have a framework for what's to come My son is 5 1/2. I'm REALLY showing already, even though I'm only 10 weeks (yikes!!!), and people are noticing, so we might end up telling him this weekend, before I do the genetic testing. He has several friends his age who are onlies, and he's never asked for a sibling so I'm curious to see how he'll react.
I'm really showing already too, and it was noticeable from 9 weeks on! Now I already look like I did at 4 1/2 months with my son and I'm just 3 months. Apparently this is normal for a second baby?! But it is nice to skip the awkward "is she pregnant or just eating too much" phase and go straight to obviously pregnant, I guess. I hope your son is excited! I bet he will be old enough to be really helpful and a great big brother. I have friends with kids spaced similarly and they are such loving brothers--it's really awesome, and no jealousy or rivalry at all.
#10 of 20 Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm really showing already too, and it was noticeable from 9 weeks on! Now I already look like I did at 4 1/2 months with my son and I'm just 3 months. Apparently this is normal for a second baby?! But it is nice to skip the awkward "is she pregnant or just eating too much" phase and go straight to obviously pregnant, I guess. I hope your son is excited! I bet he will be old enough to be really helpful and a great big brother. I have friends with kids spaced similarly and they are such loving brothers--it's really awesome, and no jealousy or rivalry at all.
Awwww, that's great to hear! Thank you
And haha, yeah, it's nice to be able to wear form fitting clothes and look preggo instead of chubby...even though my thighs and rear end are DEFINITIELY growing too, lol.
We ended up telling our son on Saturday night because my husband left yesterday for a business trip and we couldn't wait any longer. It was fun! We had him read a card that said, "We love you, and you are going to be a big brother!" He was confused at first and then excited, and said he wants it to be a baby brother and a baby sister (ha!), and without skipping a beat said that if it's a boy we'll name it Jack and if it's a girl we'll name it Lily. I have no idea where he got that from! Unfortunately those names aren't on our list
Also, my doc just called and said my blood test, genetic counseling, and scan are rescheduled for next week because the nurse is out this week. I'm bummed because I'm anxious to find out if the baby is healthy, but now my husband will be able to join because he'll be back in town by then.
I still have pretty bad "morning" sickness at this point. How are you feeling? How many weeks are you now?
#11 of 20 Old 06-09-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome that your son wishes for twins for you, lol! At least he will be happy either way. I'm 14 weeks tomorrow and feeling pretty good now...it's so nice to have energy again and I've been tackling all sorts of home projects. But I also keep overdoing it and getting completely exhausted, so I need to find a better balance. Only one random morning sickness episode this week (when I went too long without eating), so I'm glad that has passed. How are you feeling?
#12 of 20 Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best of luck !
MamaLeigh likes this.
#13 of 20 Old 06-29-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That's awesome that your son wishes for twins for you, lol! At least he will be happy either way. I'm 14 weeks tomorrow and feeling pretty good now...it's so nice to have energy again and I've been tackling all sorts of home projects. But I also keep overdoing it and getting completely exhausted, so I need to find a better balance. Only one random morning sickness episode this week (when I went too long without eating), so I'm glad that has passed. How are you feeling?
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. We've had a roller coaster of events here in the past several weeks. Glad you're feeling better! The trip my husband was on was for a new job, and they eliminated the position at the end of the retreat. We had a rough time trying to figure out what to do and to get as many doc appts in as possible before we ran out of insurance, and of course my son ended up needing to go to urgent care, etc. Never a dull moment.

Thankfully, my husband was brought back to his old company. His first day back is today. Yesterday was our 9th wedding anniversary and we were able to celebrate and go to a great concert

And we did the chromosomal testing and things look good! And it's a girl! We're really excited!! My son was hoping for a "boy with green eyes" lol, but he has adjusted quickly and he is excited as well. I'm still really sick with nausea, exhaustion, and food aversion. If this is any indication of this little baby girl's temperament, I'm in big trouble...

How are things on your end??
#14 of 20 Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

MamaLeigh, that is a lot! I'm glad your husband was able to get his old job back in time for your wedding anniversary so you could have something extra to celebrate! We will celebrate our 9th anniversary later this year in October. Congratulations! It is a long time! And I'm glad you got good news about a chromosomally normal girl (and also that your son is on board...how funny that he had such a specific idea in mind). I hope you start to feel better soon! We had friends over last night and they have two daughters who came too and played with William. My friend was sick with the youngest for almost 5 months to the point where she quit her job and spent all day in bed--it was truly awful for her. And that daughter is such an easy, joyful sweetheart, so I will hope for the same for you (minus the sickness being so bad).

We have been good--I'm on my summer vacation from teaching, so it's awesome to have my nesting instincts coincide with having time to do anything (this didn't happen with my first pregnancy). I've cleaned out 3 closets and tackled all sorts of cleaning and organizing projects. And my parents are coming on Wednesday to visit for a month, which we are excited about even though I'm sure I'll get annoyed with my mom sometimes. Anyhow, I hope you have a good holiday week!
#15 of 20 Old 07-12-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
MamaLeigh, that is a lot! I'm glad your husband was able to get his old job back in time for your wedding anniversary so you could have something extra to celebrate! We will celebrate our 9th anniversary later this year in October. Congratulations! It is a long time! And I'm glad you got good news about a chromosomally normal girl (and also that your son is on board...how funny that he had such a specific idea in mind). I hope you start to feel better soon! We had friends over last night and they have two daughters who came too and played with William. My friend was sick with the youngest for almost 5 months to the point where she quit her job and spent all day in bed--it was truly awful for her. And that daughter is such an easy, joyful sweetheart, so I will hope for the same for you (minus the sickness being so bad).

We have been good--I'm on my summer vacation from teaching, so it's awesome to have my nesting instincts coincide with having time to do anything (this didn't happen with my first pregnancy). I've cleaned out 3 closets and tackled all sorts of cleaning and organizing projects. And my parents are coming on Wednesday to visit for a month, which we are excited about even though I'm sure I'll get annoyed with my mom sometimes. Anyhow, I hope you have a good holiday week!
Thank you!! Yay for summer vacation What do you teach? Yes, family is such a blessing...and a challenge My parents live 2 mins away and my MIL lives 2 blocks away. We are grateful, and stressed out.

I'm still sick but the info about your friend is giving me hope. And on July 4th I ended up in the emergency room bkz of severe cramping that went on for over 4 hrs with increasing pain to the point where I couldn't talk. Long story short, I was dehydrated and had gas trapped. It took several more hours for things to work their way through, but thankfully everything is fine. When I got to the hospital they thought I was in preterm labor because of where the cramping was and my nausea, discharge, etc. We were really scared and emotional, but the OB checked me out and put our minds at ease...phew!!!!!

That's so funny about the nesting instinct! I didn't have it either for my first pregnancy, but I def do this time, like you! Happy cleaning/sorting!

Have you, or has anyone else on here, chosen a baby name? Is it a secret? What's going into your decision?
#16 of 20 Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey all! Haven't checked in in awhile...this is a pretty quiet DDC (or are they not as busy anymore? It's been awhile since I was in one...anyway glad you guys are here!!). Sorry to hear all the stress you have gone through so far MamaLeigh, but glad to hear things have worked out.
I'm a little stumped on names this time around...and I'm surprised to find myself liking all new names than before. We named our 2nd DD the name we were going to call our 1st...name preferences didn't change much between the two of them, obviously! But this time DD2 will be nearly 4 when baby is born so I guess that's been more time for us to change our minds. We're not finding out the gender so once again lining up both boys and girls names, though I feel like we're going to have another girl as it seems like once you get on a streak it's more likely to keep going that way...
#17 of 20 Old 07-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLtheTinkerbell View Post
Hey all! Haven't checked in in awhile...this is a pretty quiet DDC (or are they not as busy anymore? It's been awhile since I was in one...anyway glad you guys are here!!). Sorry to hear all the stress you have gone through so far MamaLeigh, but glad to hear things have worked out.
I'm a little stumped on names this time around...and I'm surprised to find myself liking all new names than before. We named our 2nd DD the name we were going to call our 1st...name preferences didn't change much between the two of them, obviously! But this time DD2 will be nearly 4 when baby is born so I guess that's been more time for us to change our minds. We're not finding out the gender so once again lining up both boys and girls names, though I feel like we're going to have another girl as it seems like once you get on a streak it's more likely to keep going that way...
LLtheTinkerbell, Thanks! We just got back from a vacation at a lakehouse so things are good
This is my first due date club so I'm not sure how they usually work. I know I'm back and forth with posting.
It will be exciting to see if you are in fact having a girl! My good friend has two girls and is pregnant with her third girl
Have fun with the baby name stuff! The girl name we loved 6 years ago is really popular now so we're looking at different ones. We really like L names for girls, and my husband's father passed away a few years ago, so we'd like to use his name as her middle name.
LLtheTinkerbell likes this.
#18 of 20 Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

MamaLeigh, that sounds really scary--I'm glad you are okay! But, how lame that you are still sick! My SIL was sick until 26 weeks with her current pregnancy...maybe you will find relief soon, I hope! I teach college art and art history classes...it's a really fun job. I started a twice a week summer sculpture class this week, which is going well so far. And yes, this DDC is much quieter than my first too. I'm still in a Facebook group with my first DDC and one of the other ladies is pregnant again too and also has a quiet DDC. I think Mothering would be more popular if they made an app, since so many of us do this on our phones now. But I am glad you ladies are here! We are naming our baby boy Lincoln but we don't have a middle name picked out yet. We couldn't agree on any other names, so that kind of made it easier since there weren't many options!
LLtheTinkerbell likes this.
#19 of 20 Old 08-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
MamaLeigh, that sounds really scary--I'm glad you are okay! But, how lame that you are still sick! My SIL was sick until 26 weeks with her current pregnancy...maybe you will find relief soon, I hope! I teach college art and art history classes...it's a really fun job. I started a twice a week summer sculpture class this week, which is going well so far. And yes, this DDC is much quieter than my first too. I'm still in a Facebook group with my first DDC and one of the other ladies is pregnant again too and also has a quiet DDC. I think Mothering would be more popular if they made an app, since so many of us do this on our phones now. But I am glad you ladies are here! We are naming our baby boy Lincoln but we don't have a middle name picked out yet. We couldn't agree on any other names, so that kind of made it easier since there weren't many options!
Beautiful name!! Yay!!
Food stuff is getting better for me now, but I'm feeling just really achy and lethargic all the time....and my patience level with my family is very low, lol. I'm hoping 20 weeks will be a big turning point in energy level, etc. I'd love to get back to exercising regularly. We're really excited though because tomorrow is the anatomic scan...woohoo!! Baby has been really active and we're looking forward to actually seeing her move around.
Awesome job! My sis was a sculpture major at RISD a million years ago, and my MIL is an art prof. Your babies are lucky to have such a creative Mama
#20 of 20 Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I hope your anatomy scan went well! It's so fun to see the baby move around. I loved seeing that Lincoln has my feet (in contrast to William, whose feet were much more like DH's even then). Those little things we get to see on the scans are really sweet. I'm glad you're not so sick anymore but hope you can feel a burst of energy soon! My midwife actually recommends drinking coffee or tea in the second trimester because it also helps with dizziness (that's been a problem for me at times).

How fun that there are so many artists in your family! We have a lot more musicians than artists in mine, but there are a few artists on DH's side. It is a wonderful job!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page