How do I know what herbal teas are OK? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I got the list from the OB that basically says I cannot eat anything I want to eat. I am 12 weeks along.

Herbal teas are on the list. This really annoys me, I need something to drink besides water!!!! I don't do soda or pop, I cannot have wine or beer, I need to limit my coffee, I really want herbal tea! I do like sparkling water, and I drink it occasionally, but I don't like all the packaging involved and I really don't want to lug a bunch of cans to work.

I used to chug coffee all day long at work, i need something healthy to fill the void, without sugar.

Plus, I am really having a very hard time not over eating. Having a glass of iced herbal tea is a good way for me to satiate my need to consume something without calories (this is important because where I work, I can literally purchase any junk food I can imagine for a discount).

I have a nice selection of herbal celestial seasoning teas, Tangerine, Raspberry, Peppermint, ect in my desk. I am just not understanding how these can be harmful? Lately i have been having my teas, and telling myself that when they say no herbal tea, they mean "medicinal herbal". Also, I have been brewing them weakly. But prior to getting that list from the Dr. I was drinking a lot of herbal teas. now I am freaking out that I shouldn't have been drinking them.

I feel like I have to second guess everything I do, and later I change my mind and feel guilty. Does anyone have a list of herbal teas that ARE ok to have while pregnant??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...herbaltea.html

According to this, the ones you've listed are safe. (Celestial Seasonings says they do not use any herbs in any dosage that would be unsafe for a pregnant woman.)

The ones that aren't are pretty rare to find (nettle tea from a certain part of the plant, for example)

Some, like red raspberry leaf, are best to be avoided in early pregnancy just-in-case but later on are thought to possibly be beneficial.

Although I find info saying stay away from chamomile, my own doctor suggests it (after the first tri and as long as I have no prelabor symptoms) to help me relax and sleep.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That website is so helpful!

#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM

There are a LOT of posts around here about what is safe/not safe to eat during pregnancy. I'm in the camp that thinks American's are way to extreme about food and pregnancy. Several of the foods that are on those magical little lists here in America are staples in diets around the world, and aren't considered a threat anywhere but here.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I generally think that was as well.

For instance, sushi. I have been eating a sushi for a long time, the only place I get it from is very high end and I have total confidence in their methods. I am sure Japanese women do not stop eating sushi! So I will have some sushi when my FIL comes to visit at our favorite place. But would I get some premade sushi from the cooler at a gas station, uh, no.

The tea thing started worrying me, because there are a lot of ingredients in herbal teas, and there are so many websites that have conflicting information, that I was having a case of the freak outs.
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Hi,
I am studying to be an herbalist and am also pregnant. I have been staying away from some herbs especially during the first trimester. I am 10 weeks along. You will find lots of conflicting advice on what herbs are safe and which ones are not safe. Most sites like site mentioned: american pregnancy are very conservative and that is a very limited list of herbs. Here is some more info for you as well. Hope this helps. I drink chamomile tea at night sometimes. Oatstraw is very nourishing and good for the nervous system. I will be drinking a a cup of raspberry leaf tea in the 2nd trimester daily then 2 cups a day in the 3rd trimester. Good luck!

Here is the link:

http://www.childbirthsolutions.net/a...dvit/index.php
#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Starting in the second trimester I've drank a TON of red raspberry leaf tea. (I drank it more conservatively last time.) I tried Oatstraw and while it's safe for pregnancy discovered that I'm allergic to it... oops. I've had Tazo's passion tea from Starbucks a few times with no ill effects. I had some peppermint and ginger teas during the first trimester.

Honestly, though, I've mostly been drinking black (and occasionally green) teas because I like them better, especially iced. I figure it takes a lot more iced tea than I'm drinking to go over 300 mg of caffeine a day. I also enjoy the occasional shot of espresso

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page