Question about cod liver oil and Vit A in second tri - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I want to start taking my cod liver oil. I avoided it in the 1st tri, since my prenatal has 5,000 IU of Vit A already (rainbow light 6 a day) and I didn't want to add to that.

So, am I ok with the 5,000 IU plus 400-900 IU extra? My prenatal also has 800 IU of Vit D and the cod liver oil has 1-12 IU.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family4Christ View Post
Hi mamas,

I want to start taking my cod liver oil. I avoided it in the 1st tri, since my prenatal has 5,000 IU of Vit A already (rainbow light 6 a day) and I didn't want to add to that.

So, am I ok with the 5,000 IU plus 400-900 IU extra? My prenatal also has 800 IU of Vit D and the cod liver oil has 1-12 IU.
Youll be fine with the Vit D. Im assuming down in Texas you wear sunblock sometimes? I dont have a good answer to the A.. Id think that since Cod Liver oil as not synthetic you'd be fine.. I'd probably just switch my prenatals and take the Cod liver oil if in doubt. Here is a pretty popular guideline breakdown.. http://trit.us/basicnutrition/clarifications.html

One thing about the cod liver oil pregnant women should know is that it can increase pregnancy length by an average of 6+ days. Great if you are prone to go early, not so great if you are a primip or someone who goes late. Ive heard midwives suggest that you stop supplementing by atleast 36 weeks and resume after birth.
http://altmed.creighton.edu/Omega3FA/evidence.html
#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama!

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah

#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM

That is a VERY good piece of info to know! I am pregnant with my second, take CLO, was low-risk with my first for pre-term delivery, and the lady who I am interviewing to be my midwife next week is going on vacation two weeks after my due date. While I certainly am not going to rush things on purpose, I also don't want to draw things out either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post
One thing about the cod liver oil pregnant women should know is that it can increase pregnancy length by an average of 6+ days. Great if you are prone to go early, not so great if you are a primip or someone who goes late. Ive heard midwives suggest that you stop supplementing by atleast 36 weeks and resume after birth.
http://altmed.creighton.edu/Omega3FA/evidence.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page