Iodine during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I had a blood test 3 months ago and was found to have mild hypothyroidism. The only signs of having it was fatigue and very low basal temps that my midwife caught from looking at my past charts when I brought them in. I wasn't gaining weight at all... I am 24, 5'4 and 120 pounds. I did not want to take Synthroid to fix this. I started on a Thyroid Activator supplement by Nature's Sunshine consisting of Kelp, Irish Moss, Black Walnut, and a couple other herbs as well as going Gluten Free. I have been charting for two years and my husband and I are always careful since we don't use anything. ONE time everything was working in my favor and we got pregnant and I am almost 6 weeks along... Ha. I found out last week as I was researching the ingredients of my thyroid activator that it is advised to not take black walnut while pregnant so I stopped immediately. I don't have my appointment with my midwife for two more weeks but I am thinking I need to be taking something for thyroid assistance considering they up the amount of synthroid when you become pregnant. I bought some Icelandic Kelp yesterday... Does anyone know if this is 100% safe?! THANKS!!!! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM

If you are truly hypothyroid, I would strongly encourage you to consult with an endocrinologist as soon as possible.  Maintaining your TSH at appropriate levels is crucial both for preventing miscarriage and for the development of your baby - especially during the first trimester.

Mama to sweet baby L, born July 1, 2013
#3 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

My TSH was 3.69 3 months ago before I took any measures.. 

#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

My TSH was 3.69 3 months ago before I took any measures. 

#5 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Have you retested since starting the supplements to see if it brought your TSH down?  The general consensus for pregnancy is that TSH should be kept at or below 1.0 during the first trimester.  It is also possible for things to change very quickly when you get pregnant - my TSH spiked from normal to 5.9 within between weeks 5 and 11. That being my experience, if I were in your shoes, I'd get blood work done ASAP to make sure everything is stable for you and your baby.  Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy! 

Mama to sweet baby L, born July 1, 2013
#6 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

No I have not gotten my levels checked since I started the changes. I go in 3 weeks. I think I will take the kelp until then? Thank you! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page