Questions about doulas - Mothering Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By indiana

#1 of 5 Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questions about doulas

My doula called me (at 32 weeks) to ask if she could bring an "assistant" to shadow her during my birth. I really do not feel comfortable having another person in the delivery room other than my husband and the doula we hired. Would you say no? Also, she has asked if the assistant can come to our second prenatal visit and our post-natal visit. But again, I'd rather not...Am I being unreasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. You hired your doula to help you have your needs met during a vulnerable time, if having another person would be uncomfortable, just be honest and say so! It's unfortunate for the 'assistant' who is probably looking for experience/training, but the laboring mama's needs come first, and doulas, of all people, should understand that!

Mommy to DS1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
July '09 and DS2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#3 of 5 Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You're not being unreasonable at all. As a newly-trained doula, I will be shadowing someone before I go it alone, but I expect more of her clients to say no to my presence in the room than yes. I would probably say no, too! I think it takes a certain kind of woman to be OK with someone shadowing, and I doubt she will be surprised if you say no.

#4 of 5 Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I also think it's ok to say no. When I was training as a doula, the same thing happened to me, and I understood. I hope you have a great birth!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our
. Advertising Rules are
#5 of 5 Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
just say "no"

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys
, our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12
and our newest baby girl on 12/30/14!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page