Ashtanga yoga and pregnancy: knowing when to back off - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ashtanga yoga and pregnancy: knowing when to back off

I'm 16 weeks pregnant, and over the past week or so I have experienced intense pain in the front of my pubic area when walking. A quick look online points to symphysis pubic disfunction, a condition that for most people this doesn't kick in until the 3rd trimester!
So far walking is the only time I feel the discomfort. I do not feel any pain during my yoga practice, but I can't help but wonder whether some of the ways I am stretching may be causing the issue.
I practice the Ashtanga primary series 4 to 5 times a week under an experienced teacher. His main advice to me is to continue doing anything if it still feels normal (except for a few postures he advised me to eliminate: parivrtta parsvakonasana, janushirsasana C, garbha pindasana, kukutasana). I am still practicing Marichiasana C and D but not twisting very far, and definitely not catching my hands. I should note that I had been practicing this series for a year before pregnancy (though only 4 months with an in-person teacher).

Anyone else practice an intense form of yoga such as Ashtanga during pregnancy? If so did you end up learning by trial and error which poses to back off from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would suggest to visit to your gynaecologist and get tested about the pain and take consultation of a yoga expert to finalize your yoga poses. Everything won't work and you shouldn't take any risk.
#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2020, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My wife did yoga until about 12 weeks pregnant. She wanted to continue her studies, but I insisted that she give it up, as she could harm herself. As you can imagine, she continued her studies for about 4 more weeks, but I did not know about it ... As a result, she started having problems with her intestines and a lack of bacteria. I suspected that she was continuing to do yoga when she began to have a constant deterioration in mood, bloating and some other problems with the intestines. She had to use special supplements to restore her balance. I highly recommend that you consult with your doctors before continuing with your yoga practice. Otherwise, you may encounter a similar problem ... I hope you don't have the same problem. Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMoore View Post
My wife did yoga until about 12 weeks pregnant. She wanted to continue her studies, but I insisted that she give it up, as she could harm herself. As you can imagine, she continued her studies for about 4 more weeks, but I did not know about it ... As a result, she started having problems with her intestines and a lack of bacteria. I suspected that she was continuing to do yoga when she began to have a constant deterioration in mood, bloating and some other problems with the intestines. She had to use special supplements to restore her balance. I highly recommend that you consult with your doctors before continuing with your yoga practice. Otherwise, you may encounter a similar problem ... I hope you don't have the same problem. Good luck!
Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!

Tags
Fitness , Pregnancy , yoga

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page