Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   I'm Pregnant (https://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/)
-   -   Alcohol use during pregnancy (https://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1612629-alcohol-use-during-pregnancy.html)

gracem48 10-23-2019 10:53 PM

Alcohol use during pregnancy

Hello all, I am Grace. I am looking for some suggestions. I am 3 months pregnant now, and I have a small drinking problem. I am worried if this will affect the health of my baby. I am trying hard to stop drinking, but it's difficult for me. My husband is suggesting to get help from a rehab. We even took an appointment at a recovery center called Freedom from addiction. But the thing is that I don't know if it's the right thing to do at this stage. I am scared if the treatment will affect the health of my baby. It would be great if someone can share your views on this.

UnruhLee 10-26-2019 01:35 PM

If the facility knows you're pregnant, your treatment shouldn't cause any harm to the baby. It also depends on the degree of your addiction. You say "small" problem, but it sounds like you may be scared of the effects of withdrawal harming the baby? It can't hurt to talk to the facility, and it would be a great idea to speak to your doctor as well.

Maiasaura 10-29-2019 01:14 PM

Hey, just seeing this now (10/29). I'm in recovery. I'm an alcoholic and PLEASE feel free to PM me somehow (can you even do that on here?) and I'll be happy to dialogue with you.
Yes, I go to 12 step meetings. I recommend you do, too. Yes, there's a lot of god talk in there, especially heavy depending on where you live, and the language of the literature is archaic, as it was written in the 30s and 40s, but if you want to get and stay clean, you kinda have to "translate" into whatever works for you.
I'm Pagan. My deities are mostly female. I had to do a LOT of "translating".
I'm clean and sober 25 years now. Which sounds daunting to someone needing to stop, I get that. But I am by no means cured of my addictions. Not even close.
I don't crave anymore, if that worries you. I just know it's there, waiting for me to lapse my vigilance, or "forget" that I'm an alcoholic.
You got this, mama.
Go to that rehab. Tell them you're pregnant. They'll help, somehow, but I don't think they'll give you anything to make you stop drinking or whatever. They ain't no medicine to make people stop.
You got this. I hope :heartbeat PM me if you need.

Stefina 11-17-2019 11:50 PM

I wouldn't recommend you that

scottmichael19711 08-04-2020 11:32 AM

No alcohol.

Padalecki 08-24-2020 12:31 PM

A half cup of red wine per day are ok

applejuice 08-24-2020 02:47 PM

What constitutes a small drinking problem from a regular drinking problem or a big drinking problem? Antabuse is a drug given to help patients avoid alcohol, but it will damage your liver as well as alcohol will. The withdrawal from alcohol can kill a person, which is why I ask how bad a habit you have. Taking vitamin B which is destroyed by alcohol helps as well as taking vitamin C to clear and support the liver.

You have had your baby by now and I hope you and your baby are OK. Let us know. We do care.

Emmaa20 08-25-2020 02:26 PM

I think that use alcohol during pregnancy is a bad idea !

applejuice 08-25-2020 02:50 PM

Besides being a depressant, alcohol is empty calories with no nutritional value. Your baby needs vitamins and minerals as well as protein, carbohydrates, and fats to grow and survive the birth process.

Bayley Whitley 08-27-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracem48 (Post 19758959)
Hello all, I am Grace. I am looking for some suggestions. I am 3 months pregnant now, and I have a small drinking problem. I am worried if this will affect the health of my baby. I am trying hard to stop drinking, but it's difficult for me. My husband is suggesting to get help from a rehab. We even took an appointment at a recovery center called Freedom from addiction. But the thing is that I don't know if it's the right thing to do at this stage. I am scared if the treatment will affect the health of my baby. It would be great if someone can share your views on this.

Alcohol is bad, especially when you're pregnant. You need to stop drinking to keep your child safe and healthy.

Anna14 09-15-2020 12:49 AM

I have a negative attitude to this!

tarbertsand 09-29-2020 03:31 AM

Yes, it will affect the health of your baby. Stuff yourself with heathy food while the baby is still inside you. Talk to a professional to help you with your problem.