Need Bacterial Vaginosis Help - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
C99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, based on the advice of a momma on another board, I did a few searches here for BV, but I am still confused. Can someone outline the natural or alternative remedies for BV? My OB told me that it BV can be associated with preterm labor and since my first baby was born at 35 weeks after my water broke, I'd like to really knock it out. I took a 7-day course of antibiotics (don't know which one), but it apparently didn't take and I was prescribed a 7-day course of metro something. I remember from my recurrent bouts of thrush when BFing that gentian violet worked so much better than diflucan, so I'm curious if there are better or more effective alternatives to antibiotics for BV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-17-2004, 09:03 AM

I use plain yogurt. I did the metrogel once, the first time I had it, and it gave me a yeast infection, and took too long to work. Yogurt usually clears it up in a couple of days. You can use a tampon to put it in, or just your fingers (but that's messy!).

Eating yogurt can help prevent reinfections (keeps everything balanced), but it probably won't help a current infection much.
#3 of 14 Old 12-17-2004, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
C99

So you put yogurt up your vaginal canal? Is that safe? Forgive my shock, but I am just not used to things like this. Is it safe? Does it matter what kind you use?

#4 of 14 Old 12-17-2004, 09:57 PM

Yogurt is used to treat yeast. BV is different & CAN be a contributing factor in PTL. I don't know about the treatments, hopefully someone else will chime in & help.
#5 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 12:15 AM

I was found to have BV a few weeks ago and treated it with the metrogel. It seems to have cleared up.

I've read that washing the vaginal area with hydrogen peroxide is highly effective for treating BV. You can take a peri bottle and mix hydrogen peroxide with warm water and spray around the vaginal area while in the shower.

I hope you can get rid of it! I also had an infection in my first pregnancy that resulted in pre-term labor, bedrest, and ultimately my water broke early at 37 weeks too, so I know how scary any infections can be. Good luck to you.
#6 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 01:17 AM

My MW gave me some capsules with Boric Acid in them. I inserted on (Vaginally) every night for 7 nights. Worked like a charm!
I have had BV with each pregnancy, and this was by far the quickest and most pleasant cure.

You could very easily make them yourself, all you would need was the empty capsules and fill them yourself with the BA.

Good luck to you!
#7 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula
Yogurt is used to treat yeast. BV is different & CAN be a contributing factor in PTL. I don't know about the treatments, hopefully someone else will chime in & help.
I've seen plenty of evidence that yogurt is good for BV (see links below). And I'm quite sure that's what I've had, and it's worked for me. Perhaps it's also used for yeast? I've only had the one experience with that, back in the days of trotting to the doc's for everything.

C99: Yes, I've used it internally, both before and during this pregnancy. I don't think it 's less safe than putting the antibiotic creams in there. Although many of the links say not to try this treatment while pg, I believe it's a CYA (and the pubmed entry says it might be the preferable option during pregnancy). You only need a dab, and you don't have to put it very far in. Of course, everyone's mileage will vary!

Some links turned up on Google:

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/o...113335,00.html
http://www.kent.ac.uk/medical/knowle...groin/bact.htm
http://www.uhseast.com/119636.cfm
http://www.umt.edu/CHC/healthlibrary..._vaginosis.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
#8 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C99
Does it matter what kind you use?
Whoops, I forgot to answer this part! Just plain yogurt with live cultures; unsweetened, unflavored. Don't use strawberry-banana or vanilla or anything. If you're planning on eating a lot of it too, get a big ol' tub of the plain stuff (I'm partial to Stonyfield's full-fat stuff, but I'm a dairyfat addict) and sweeten/flavor it yourself by the serving. Every time I try this I end up wasting half a tub though, I guess I get sick of it too fast.
#9 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 AM

Two capsules of acidophilous ( the kind you find in the health food store in the fridge) inserted at bedtime, every night for a week.Same benifits as the yogourt - less messy! Or the boric acid capsules work really well too. If there is a compound pharmisist near you they will make it up for you

:
#10 of 14 Old 12-18-2004, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my experience, the BEST remedy for BV has been hydrogen peroxide and water washes. Seriously. It's easy, effective and cheap.

Just two tbs of hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle of warm water. Squirt in and around the vaginal area three times a day.

Most BV is gardnerella and this type of bacteria HATES oxygen. The hydrogen peroxide gets rid of the BV and also helps to restore good pH balance.
#11 of 14 Old 12-19-2004, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All these things work, the live culture yogurt, the boric acid caps, peroxide, and lactobacillus capsules, even the metrogel for some people.
All the home remedies work in similar ways- and in the long run eating and trying to keep live culture lactobacillus in your body should be done as maintenance. What lactobacillus(yogurt) has in common with hydrogen peroxide is that certain important strains that can be part of the natural healthy vaginal flora are hydrogen peroxide producing. So for an acute or an occasional wipe out of the BV and possible other critters using peroxide is a great way to go. In the long run also treat with lactobacillus either caps or via fermented foods and I would instill a bit vaginally as well just to start out a new colony, so your own flora will be producing hydrogen peroxide.
Boric acid also works and how it works is also like healthy vaginal flora, lactobacillus is also acid producing and BV does not like acid, it is happiest in an alkaline environment. boric acid is a buffered acid and so doesn't usually burn tissues.
Either of the 2 hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) or the boric acid may be a good way to start if you have had a long standing infection, and as a back up start eating fermented foods like yogurt, sour dough bread, fermented sauerkraut, live culture cheeses.
#12 of 14 Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 PM

I had BV just before getting pregnant and it cleared up by using an herbal douche my Chinese Medicine doc gave me. The name wouldn't help -- it's in Chinese -- but any good TCM doc should have a solution for you. I also second the youghart (make sure it is plain and LIVE).

As for putting stuff in your vagina while you're pregnant, that is questionable. My midwife said it was okay if I was careful and my backup doc said don't risk it. But that was in the first trimester so maybe recommendations are different at other times. Certainly you don't want any pressure as you insert but it is possible that careful pressure-free insertion is okay.

You can also try these things on the vulva only. That is safe and it may help some with the infection. Also consider cranberry capsules and other things to help urinary infections, even if you don't have one diagnosed, as they can go back and forth.
#13 of 14 Old 12-23-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiN
As for putting stuff in your vagina while you're pregnant, that is questionable.
Don't tell my husband that; I had a hard time convincing him it was okay to put stuff in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
Most BV is gardnerella and this type of bacteria HATES oxygen.
Ahh, so that explains the urge to sleep sans undies when an infection is starting.
#14 of 14 Old 12-24-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
Don't tell my husband that; I had a hard time convincing him it was okay to put stuff in there.
LOL!

Well okay, there is a variety of STUFF to choose from. :LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page