I SHOULD know this....please check out my last post, input appreciated.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
OK I am NOT pregnant, but I'm curious about something. Please don't think I'm really stupid for this....I was, um, REALLY mainstream before I actually *had* a child.

Exactly how do they figure the 40 weeks gestation? Someone told me it's 40 weeks from your LMP or something like that? I also heard it's 40 weeks counting 2 before you get pregnant?? I am *confused.*

I am curious because I was induced with DS and for a *lot* of reasons, I think they were off on my due date and he was actually NOT term. (Like the fact that the due date I was given is not even 40 weeks from his earliest possible date of conception. He also had nursing issues and jaundice, which are common for pre-term babies even at 37 weeks, but was that pre-term or induction drugs at work? I'll never know.) And I KNOW that induction was NOT necessary. It came about because I asked who would deliver me if I went into labor since my OB was going on vacation, she said I 'measured big' and would I be OK with an induction? Well stupid me, the only thing I knew about it was my friend had 2 inductions and her kids were fine.....NEVER will I go with THAT logic again!!
So I allowed it......and DS was born. 6 lbs. 6.5 oz, not preterm but not real big either. Jaundice from very early on and MAJOR nursing issues. Makes me wonder if they weren't a couple weeks off....

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
one girlie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe it is 40 weeks from when you ovulate, which is usually around 12 days after the first day of your LMP if you have a 28 day cycle.
#3 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 03:51 AM

It's 40 weeks from LMP, or 38 weeks from (estimated) conception. The day you miss your period, you are 4 weeks pregnant.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 AM

yep...40 wks from LMP
38 wks from ovulation

still a big assumption that all women have perfect 28 day cycles and ovulate on day 14

My opinion...never ever get induced except for a very specific medical condition
#5 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 11:08 AM

I had the same exp. with dd #1. My Dr induced me at 40 wks and 2 days. I had a long tiring hard 13 hr labor. She had jaundice and was only 5 lb 14 ounces (a little bean) Know could figure out just why he induced me( pretty much his convince). My dd #2 I went 2 wks 2 days past due date. My water broke at home. 2 1/2 hours later I delivered a 6 lb 14 ounce dd. I wonder if I would have waited with dd #1 if my labor would have been easier and she would have weighed more. I don't think she was done cooken!!!!!
#6 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 11:26 AM

This always confused the heck out of me. I mean, I know exactly when I concieved, within a 12 hour window (allowing for ovulation and conception time). The time between my period and the conception was time I was *not* pregnant. So why do they say I've been pregnant for 36 weeks, when there were twoish weeks there when I was clearly *not* pregnant?

????

On another note, my estimated due date based on the day I actually concieved (which the nurse didn't want to hear about) was matched exactly by the due date based on an early u/s. And *not* by the date from their little wheely thing. Hah!

Julia
#7 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM

It's because the "textbook" fertility cycle is 28 days, with ovulation (and therefore conception) occurring on day 14. On the assumption that most women do not know exactly when they ovulated/conceived, and on the assumption that the average conception occurs 2 weeks after the LMP, the standard way to date a pregnancy is to take the date of the LMP and add 40 weeks (38 weeks for a normal pregnancy from conception to birth, plus the two weeks from LMP to conception). It's an easy way to estimate the due date if you don't know the conception date.

Unfortunately many providers seem to be stuck on this formula and don't want to allow for women who have longer cycles (who may ovulate/conceive 3 or 4 weeks or so after the LMP, for example). Some of them also don't seem to want to believe that a woman can know when she ovulated/conceived if it is not the typical 2 weeks into the cycle. So they won't budge off the LMP date. That's why if you KNOW you conceived at a time other than 2 weeks after your LMP, you should adjust your LMP date to two weeks before you know you conceived and just tell them that - then you will get a more accurate estimate of due date without argument. Make sense?
#8 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

OK......the due date I was given is exactly 38 weeks after the earliest possible conception date. I THINK I know when I concieved but I'm confused because at the time I got married, I was getting my period about every 2 weeks for about 10 days (as in 10 on, I think the last one before my wedding was actually 18 off woohoo, it had been about 14) and 10 more on.

Here's what happened right before I found out about DS though....Sat. night=wedding night. Cycle showed up midnight Sun. Was there real light which is normal first day, second day, but then it lightened to where I basically bled a drop or two the next couple days and then quit. So was I already pregnant and it just took my body time to register it, or was that some weird thing and I actually didn't get pregnant till the *next* weekend?

I had the implantation spotting right at the beginning of February. (I've read a lot of ppl get this, it was just a couple drops but I thought it was AF AGAIN....) If you go by the theory that that usually happens 10 days after conception, then that points to the next weekend as conception date and puts my due date a week off. (IF you think due dates are accurate anyway, I don't since now I've started reading and I've heard they can be wrong 2 weeks either direction and commonly are.)

LOL I actually called my OB to get an appt. to find out what was WRONG with me as I thought AF was starting AGAIN....but then it really didn't......wasn't till I talked to my friend who's a nurse that I got a pregnancy test.....and that 'what's WRONG with me?" got changed to a first OB!

Actually too at that first appointment off the very first ultrasound, I was given a due date of the 13th, which puts me at induction almost a week before that too, if *that* wasn't off......

Next time, I'm skipping all this. I'm going to a midwife and NOT being induced. I just happen to think they were WAY off given his size, his jaundice, and his difficulty nursing..........the size alone, not a concern. Combined with common preterm things like inability to nurse and jaundice.....yeah, I do think they were off and I'm mad at myself for allowing an unnecessary induction. Live and learn.

one girlie
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

#9 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 PM

I was 3 months into my cycle when we concieved. I was charting, so I know exactly when it happened. I can only imagine the trouble I would've had at the doctor trying to explain that the date of my LMP was useless. But we're having a UP/UC, so I don't have to explain nothin' to no one!
#10 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 PM

I fibbed about my LMP for that very reason. I was tired of people telling me that I got pregnant three days before I actually did. DH was waiting for sinus surgery and had to come off serious pain drugs to jump through the proverbial hoop, so I knew exactly when it was...and DS was born at 38 weeks anyway, so the 40-week thing doesn't seem to apply in the first place.
#11 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM

They count from the first day of your LMP. The EDD they come up with using those little wheels assumes you ovulate 2 weeks later. Not everyone does though.
#12 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 05:42 PM

The typical, hard wired pattern is that ovulation sets off a chain of events that leads to menstruation in 13-14 days. It is very hard to change this pattern. So, women who have 21 day cycles or 40 days cycles still have ovulation 14 days BEFORE menstruation. If you ovulate twice, you typically do so in that window between ovulation and menstruation. It's nearly impossible to get a hormonal pattern that delays mentruation more than 14 days post ovulation.
This is not as helpful as it seems because it doesn't help you count forward, only backward, and we can't help our past selves get pregnant (or avoid getting pregnant).

If I'm reading right, you have a 10+14=24 day cycle? You would ovulate then on day 10, or the last day of bleeding. For your 10+18 day cycle, you probaby ovulated near day 14. You got married on day 23. It's unlikely that you got pregnant on day 23.
The next Sunday would be Day 7, sperm traveled to the fallopean tubes over then next 48 hours and bingo! Ovulation on day 10 and you're fertilized. This would give implantation bleeding on day 20, or 4 days earlier than you expected your period. That would be 20-21 days after your wedding date. Earliest possible positive pregnancy test is about 4 days later, on day 24, or when you expected your period.

The most accurate u/s data is from about week 8. And that ultrasound gave you the same date I just got, too, a week earlier than your induction.

As far as EDDs being off two weeks - not exactly. Even an EDD based off known conception (Say, using IVF), has a 4 week window. Babies are considered full term from 38 to 42 weeks and most all of the babies are fine. There are some babies that are born at 40, 41, and 42 that have problems with jaundice and bfing. I do think there are great reasons to wait for baby to decide he's ready. But I wouldn't worry too much about a 38 week baby who decided himself that it was time. (Did you know that it's the baby that decides when labor starts? The first hormonal signals come from the baby, not the mom).

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 15 Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
The typical, hard wired pattern is that ovulation sets off a chain of events that leads to menstruation in 13-14 days. It is very hard to change this pattern. So, women who have 21 day cycles or 40 days cycles still have ovulation 14 days BEFORE menstruation. If you ovulate twice, you typically do so in that window between ovulation and menstruation. It's nearly impossible to get a hormonal pattern that delays mentruation more than 14 days post ovulation.
I would comment here that, while it's quite unusual to have a longer post-ovulation period (or luteal phase), it's fairly common to have a *shorter* one. Not necessarily good for your fertility, but not uncommon. So you can't assume that that post-ovulation window is actually 14 days- could easily be as short as 7.

Julia
#14 of 15 Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
This is not as helpful as it seems because it doesn't help you count forward, only backward, and we can't help our past selves get pregnant (or avoid getting pregnant).

If I'm reading right, you have a 10+14=24 day cycle? You would ovulate then on day 10, or the last day of bleeding. For your 10+18 day cycle, you probaby ovulated near day 14. You got married on day 23. It's unlikely that you got pregnant on day 23.
The next Sunday would be Day 7, sperm traveled to the fallopean tubes over then next 48 hours and bingo! Ovulation on day 10 and you're fertilized. This would give implantation bleeding on day 20, or 4 days earlier than you expected your period. That would be 20-21 days after your wedding date. Earliest possible positive pregnancy test is about 4 days later, on day 24, or when you expected your period.

The most accurate u/s data is from about week 8. And that ultrasound gave you the same date I just got, too, a week earlier than your induction.

As far as EDDs being off two weeks - not exactly. Even an EDD based off known conception (Say, using IVF), has a 4 week window. Babies are considered full term from 38 to 42 weeks and most all of the babies are fine. There are some babies that are born at 40, 41, and 42 that have problems with jaundice and bfing. I do think there are great reasons to wait for baby to decide he's ready. But I wouldn't worry too much about a 38 week baby who decided himself that it was time. (Did you know that it's the baby that decides when labor starts? The first hormonal signals come from the baby, not the mom).
no......my earliest u/s was approximately 5-6 weeks and it gave me a EDD of the 13th, 5 days AFTER my induction. I was later given an EDD of the 11th, 3 days AFTER induction.

another thing is they thought he might be OVERDUE because he was kinda peely-skinned at birth, but with an EDD exactly 38 weeks after his earliest possible date of conception, and NO distress signs from babe, I just don't see how that's possible.

And no, I didn't know it's the baby that decides, but that does make sense, that they would emit a hormone or something that would signal to something in the mother that the baby is ready to come into the world.....

one girlie
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

#15 of 15 Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

and can one 'double ovulate?' my friend who's a nurse said this might be possible and said it could be the cause of my shorter-than-average cycles for awhile and explain *why* I immediately conceived. I found out I was pregnant via blood test on 2/9/04 and I was told I had hormone levels of a 5-6 week pregnant person at that point. Earliest possible date of conception? 1/17/04, my wedding night. If you count 2 weeks prior to actual DOC as part of pregnancy, that points at a 1/17/04 conception date.

And doesn't it take time for everything to travel and what is it that actually triggers you to miss your period? because mine did start 1/18/04 or something did anyway, but it was real light and only 4 days.....the last two being just a couple drops of spotting not even really 'period.'

but then what happened the 1st or 2nd of Feb when I had another couple drops of spotting? Implantation bleeding? If that's 10 days post-conception, that points at about a 1/24 conception date, which is the other possibility. Or was it just when my next cycle was due and for some reason I spotted just a very tiny bit? Does that happen?

I'm just curious. I've never been through an actual attempt to conceive either, fortunately DS just happened lol. My real solution for next time is no matter what, the only thing I am going to consent to at 40-41-42 weeks is stress testing, not induction. (provided I have an easy uncomplicated time like I did with DS.... )

one girlie
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page