Pregnant and Single - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am new to all this. I am 3months along and kind of nervous, it seems people have no shortage of advise and all wants to tell me how I dont know and should do it thier way. Does anyone else feel like they just want everyone to mind their own business and let you make your own choices?
Marisha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM

yup!

I think it's much easier to do that when you've done enough research to have educated and smart rebuttals to their 'advice'. Like when my FIL asked me what I was going to do for anaesthesia, and I told him that there were no safe options for drugs during labor and therefore I would be giving birth naturally. He said a prayer that my child would be only five pounds (b/c I'm petite), that I wouldn't tear past my episiotomy, and that I wouldn't gain more than 15 pounds!
Some of it you just have to smile and nod about. You can't make every idiot smart! I love my FIL, but his information is SO outdated he's dangerous!
#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
I think it's much easier to do that when you've done enough research to have educated and smart rebuttals to their 'advice'.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smiling and nodding, as stated by the PP as well, also seems to be an excellent tool to master.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#5 of 7 Old 02-15-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
You can't make every idiot smart!

: laughup OMG-that is the BEST quote ever! You are a wise woman, LeosMama.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#6 of 7 Old 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM

Welcome to Mothering!

You've had some great advice and you will find more great advice the more you hang out here.

There are so many different 'come back' comments to each situation. I tend to think about it in the way that... they are just trying to help and they don't know any better. Then I kindly let them know that this is my decision and smile. For some people that isn't enough, like they are looking for an argument but I just let them vent. You can't educate someone who thinks they are right and won't hear a thing you say.

I hope you find support and help for whatever decisions you make

Enjoy mothering.com it's such a wonderful place filled with great mamas, who have all been there and done that!
#7 of 7 Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 AM

Congratulations! And welcome to MDC!

For a while I asked for advice on this or that and felt just fine sorting through what spoke to heart and what did not. (I asked A LOT of moms for A LOT of sleep advice after having DS and was told to let him cry it out A LOT. Which is not cool in my book.) Sometimes it was nice to hear everyone's stories but unsolicited advice is often pretty lame. I think its fine to ignore it when you can and also to tell people to keep their labor horror stories and more pushy advice to themselves.

Its funny how pregnant women are just open targets for advice and unwanted belly rubbing and such things.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page