Help please - Yeast Infection Advice Needed - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35 weeks pregnant and suspect I have the beginnings of a yeast infection.

1) what is the best way to stave off/fight the yeast infection (i dont want to use an meds if possible)

2) how do i best launder my clothes to prevent a re-infection?

3) how much acidophilus is safe to take while pregnant/breastfeeding to prevent future yeast infections?

Thanks so much.

(cross-posted in Nature and Body - huge apologies for the repeat )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Take acidophillus. Cut back on sugar which helps yeast grow. I've heard you can "bake" your underwear in the oven.... lol.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#3 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 01:43 PM

i've had two yeast infections since getting pg. and this is what helped me -
-plain yogurt with live cultures applied wherever it itches to soothe...
-whole peeled garlic clove (don't nick it!!) inserted in the vagina at bedtime, removed when i wake up (kegels help get it down if it doesn't come out on its own)
-baths with vinegar or baking soda in the water
-pat dry after bathing with a clean towel - use towels only once until this is gone!
-use a hairdryer to finish drying my crotch - sounds funny, but i find it really helps me!
-probiotics, one capsule a day
-cutting back on sugar
-editing to add this one more point - use condoms with DH - i'm pretty sure that's what was setting off my infections.

i think the thing that helped the most was being consistent with the garlic every night. i'd been doing it intermittantly and the y.i. was hanging in there - then i did it for 3 nights in a row and the y.i. was over.

if natural measures aren't cutting it, i would consider an OTC remedy at this point since you're getting so close to your due date, and it would be better for your tissues not to be inflamed for fighting a y.i. as they're trying to be as stretchy as possible to birth your baby!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07

#4 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Are probiotics the same thing as acidophilus? How much / what dosage should I take of the probiotics and/or acidophulus?

Thanks again.
#5 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 PM

I used an OB tampon dipped in plain yogurt (make sure it has plenty of cultures in it; I even sprinkled acidophilus on the yogurt coated before inserting it). It relieved the itching and burning instantly. I changed it every few hours and the yeast was gone in a few days.

Good luck!
#6 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Take the dosage of probiotics/acidophilus recommended on the bottle. The acidophilus "perles" (found really only at good healthfood or vitamin stores) supposedly survive the stomach acid better than regular capsules. If it's really bad, you could even double the dosage on the bottle. I don't think you can overdose on probiotics! Also, along with giving up sugar, you need to watch natural sugars found in fruit and juice in addition to all simple carbs like white flour.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#7 of 12 Old 12-19-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
The acidophilus "perles" (found really only at good healthfood or vitamin stores) supposedly survive the stomach acid better than regular capsules. If it's really bad, you could even double the dosage on the bottle. I don't think you can overdose on probiotics!
I second this. I got a nasty yeast infection due to the antibiotics I had to take, and I went and got some of those. I am off the antibiotics now, so I take 3 a day, and then at night I use another as a suppository. It's definitely working.
#8 of 12 Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Went to see the doctor today for my 35 week check up - she didnt do a swab for the yeast infection (did one 2 weeks ago and it was clear), but she says since I am very itchy down there I can do a 10-day course of Nystatin vaginal inserts. She says these are safe to use.

Given how close I am to delivery (have a scheduled C-section in 2 weeks due to medical complications), should I just go ahead and use the Nystatin??

Thanks so much for the advice.
#9 of 12 Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post
I don't think you can overdose on probiotics!
Just a note- while you may not harm yourself from too many probiotics, there could be side effects. I took too many one time and got the worst bloating and gas I have ever had. I stopped for a few days and it went away, so I decreased my dosage and was fine.
#10 of 12 Old 12-19-2006, 10:08 PM

I'm sure the nystatin is fine. The pediatrician prescribed that once for a really stubborn yeast rash my son had as a baby.
I'd go ahead and use it. I'm sure it helps with the redness and itching. I wish I had some myself, lol, but it takes me 2.5 hours to drive to my doctor, so I just put up with stuff if I can cure it myself, even if it takes longer.
#11 of 12 Old 12-21-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have actually been taking hot baths and adding white vinegar, and it has been helping the symptoms, so I have delayed using the Nystatin to see if I can solve this without the medication.

Are hot baths and vinegar a good home remedy? The baths have been helping my backaches as well.
#12 of 12 Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM

I know vinegar is a yeast remedy.
One of the things on the list of remedies my midwife gave me is to douche with (probably diluted?) apple cider vinegar - but I didn't have any vinegar handy, I just used what i had on hand. I bought the probiotics when I picked up the antibiotics from the pharmacy - so I had probiotics, and took lots of garlic, and used the probiotic pearl thingies as a suppository. It is probably slower than using OTC or prescription medication, but it worked well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page