herbal teas? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are herbal teas generally safe?
Specifically, I'd really like to drink this tea. Thoughts?
thanks!!

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 10:56 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm bumping this because I'm curious about the safety of herbal teas as well.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
#3 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 11:04 AM

I don't know about that tea...but I just bought some "Mother to be" tea at Whole Foods yesterday...it has a bunch of stuff for pregnancy women...I think it's the same brand?

Karen

#4 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

I know you can drink Chamomille tea, I drink it every night. Dont know about hops and passionflower though? Other teas that are safe and help during pregnancy are red rasberry leaf tea, nettle, dandelion, ginger, chickweed I think there are a few more. Or as the PP said you can get tea "mother to be" for pregnant women.
#5 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
Are herbal teas generally safe?
Specifically, I'd really like to drink this tea. Thoughts?
thanks!!
Right above the button to buy is a row of links. The last one is "cautions". You should take a look at that. It says "not for use during pregnancy."

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#6 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all-- I'll pick up some "mother to be" teas tomorrow. I really could use something to help soothe me before bed.

Lady Lilya I must have looked at that site 1000 times and never saw that link!! Thanks.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#7 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 08:42 PM

You can make a tea with raspberry leaf, nettles and alfalfa to promote healthy blood flow and a strong uterus.

Books from Susun Weed (the Wise Woman's Herbal in the Childbearing Year) and by Aviva Jill Romm (I think that one's the Natural Pregnancy Book... my fave so far) will teach you about pregnancy safe herbs and tea concoctions.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#8 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 PM

I dont like the mother to be teas because they are too minty and I dont like herbal teas w/ mint in them.

I always got Traditional Medicinals (or a similar brand..aviva or something?) I got some of each of the ingredients I liked, and just brewed a pot at a time. RRL, nettles, dandelion, etc and then just mixed my own using things I knew were ok for me, and added a spoon of honey to my cup, of a few to the pot. Good stuff

I would reccomend that you do your own research on the various herbs, however. A lot of companies will state something is bad during pregnancy even if it isn't. My alfalfa tablets say they are not for use during pregnancy and thats a load of garbage. They are just covering their butts. Susan Weed is a very highly reccomended source for doing your own research.

If you're looking for something to sooth you at night, straight camomile might be better if you're uncomfortable with all the other ingredients.

Organic passionflower herb - I have heard that this is good for lowering BP, and I took it last pregnancy in tincture form, but I dont know if I'd be comfortable taking a lot of it, and when I drink tea I drink a ton of it

organic chamomile flower - this should be fine

Not Sure About These:

organic linden flower
organic catnip herb
organic hop strobile
organic spearmint leaf
organic lemon verbena leaf
organic lemon peel
organic West Indian lemongrass leaf
#9 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM

I don't see anything wrong with any of the ingrediants.

The September 2007 DDC club has a sticky with some IMO good info on herbs.

I have found all herbal teas and many other products say "not for use during pregnancy or while lactating". I think it's a standard CYA statement. Also herbs that are commonly labled not for use during pregnancy may only be risky during a specific time in pregnany or if you have a certain condition. They are not labled unsafe because they cause birth defects or miscarrige. (Just sharing this info for your peace of mind )

There are some great books out there with good info and many midwives or herbalist can give you some detailed info. I love Jill Romm's Natural Pregnancy. SHe's real into herbs and has some great recomendations for both do's and don'ts.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#10 of 12 Old 04-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Are you looking for teas that help you sleep or teas for general female heatlh spec. for preg????
#11 of 12 Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 AM

A google search yielded this interesting link:
Wise Use of Herbs and Vitamins during Pregnancy by Linda B. White, M.D.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#12 of 12 Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok- I bought 2 teas yesterday- "Pregnancy Tea" from Traditional Medicinals and "Mom to Be" from Yogi teas. I had the Yogi one last night and I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the book/ resource info!!

Quote:
Are you looking for teas that help you sleep or teas for general female heatlh spec. for preg????
A little of both, I guess. It seems like all night I obsess about names, every twinge, etc. I wanted something to give me a little calm. And I'd like something to promote a healthy pregnancy. I had rough one with my son and I'd really like to enjoy this one if I can.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page