gift for a mama who had a c-section - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a friend of mine (close but not super close if that makes sense) is having a section this coming week and i would like to bring her a little gift. based on our conversation the other day, she really needs new underwear because the ones she wears now would hit her on her scar and be painful. my question is: would it be weird to give/receive underwear as a gift from a friend?? i just really don't know! i know she's tight on funds so in a way it seems considerate in light of our conversation but i could also see how it might seem really strange. any ideas?

sorry, i have no idea where to post this so feel free to move as appropriate!!!!!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 AM

Could you get her a gift card to a lingerie place? That way you're definitely giving her something she needs, but you're not actually picking out her new undies.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 AM

I was also going to suggest a gift card, but she may not want to leave her house to get it. That's a tough call. Is she a shy person? If not, she'd probably appreciate the thoughtfulness of your gift.

I had my mom buy me the ugliest, hugest granny panties she could find so that they went over my incision and nothing could touch it (like pants). If you did that, then at least it would be kinda funny, rather than buying her sexy lingerie!

I'm trying really hard to think of other things that I needed/wanted after my c-section. The only other thing I can think of is a nursing pillow, which is recommended after surgery (if she plans on breastfeeding).

#4 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 AM

A gift card is an excellent idea, but she is going to need some to come home in. If she's a close friend buy the panties and bring her another little gift. I don't imagine that she would be offended. I wasn't when a girlfriend went nursing bra shopping for me. But panties shouldn't be the only gift you show up with
#5 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 AM

p.s. My mother in law bought me some nursing bras. She apologized about a year later saying she realizes it's a weird gift to give a daughter-in-law, but I told her I had appreciated it because I hadn't gone out to get one (not expecting to be recovering from a c-section). I think new moms are usually smart enough to know when a gift is from the heart!
#6 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 AM

heehee, we both posted about other people buying us bras.
#7 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 AM

I've never had a c-section, but I can totally see any friend who was kind enough to bring me something I really needed for my comfort after birth being my "new best friend", regardless of how embarrassing a gift it might normally be.
After having ds1, one of my friends (who was an acquaintance at the time) came over and, while I was sleeping, wet and froze a bunch of pads for me. First I'd heard of that little trick. (Her grandma is a pp doula and home birth midwife, though I didn't know that at the time.) This was truly the turning point of her going from acquaintance to friend, despite having known her for years.
At first, I was absolutely appalled that she'd been messing with my pads (I mean really, who messes with such personal items? Though now that I know the background, it makes sense.) She truly is one of my best friends now.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 AM

i think new undies is a great idea! (and not too weird - if that's what she said she needs!) also she won't have time to shop afterwards for a while.

having had a section, i recommend the super stretchy kind from target, made by hanes. they are made from nylon spandex, and are really comfy. they are making this pregnancy comfy too!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#9 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubean View Post
having had a section, i recommend the super stretchy kind from target, made by hanes. they are made from nylon spandex, and are really comfy. they are making this pregnancy comfy too!
I was JuSt about to suggest the same ones. I am wearing them right now =) they are great! I am super fussy about undies now, not just after my c/s so i love these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#10 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 AM

I don't think it's weird at all! Like PPs have said, it's what your friend remarked that she needed, right? It would be different if you were just doing it out of the blue.

How close are you? If I were you and it felt right (and I had the funds), I'd get her one of the C-Section recovery items here:

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum.html

Contextualizes the undies even more and is a big help.

Have you seen the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yet?
#11 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another thing is a gift card that can be used online... so if she has computer access, she can 'shop' around online. I'm not sure how this would work in the underwear situation because it seems like that would have to be a 'try-it-on' type thing, but if you just want to get her a 'normal' (lol) gift, that might be an idea.

LOL, and I think the underwear gift would be fine... as long as it's not from Goodwill!!! (Sorry, that cracks me up for some reason... heh...)
#12 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help ladies! actually, when i was over the other day she was talking about certain undies from a particular store; i would just need to call her husband re: size. i was also planning on bringing a snack (slurpees and candies) as well as a handmade outfit for baby. hopefully she'll see the thoughtfulness!!

#13 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM

I would definitely call her husband and get the size--and then go ahead and get them! I can't think of anything better than a useful and much needed gift. I agree with the PP that this will definitely bump your friendship up a notch!

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#14 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galincognito View Post
thanks for the help ladies! actually, when i was over the other day she was talking about certain undies from a particular store; i would just need to call her husband re: size. i was also planning on bringing a snack (slurpees and candies) as well as a handmade outfit for baby. hopefully she'll see the thoughtfulness!!
that's very sweet. One of my friends brought me nursing pads & lansino & I thought it was very sweet & practical. I wasn't up to going to the store for a while & who knows if dh could have found what i needed.
#15 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 PM

Hee hee, I read "slurpees" and had to check if you're from Canada.
#16 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herins View Post
Hee hee, I read "slurpees" and had to check if you're from Canada.
I didn't notice that. Now I'm wondering if she's in Manitoba.
Slurpees in Oregon suck, btw. I miss Manitoba Slurpees.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#17 of 19 Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

definitely manitoba! we love our slurpees in this house. actually, when i met dh, who's from a different province, he thought slurpees were stupid and didn't taste good. now, he's the one that asks to stop more than me! it doesn't help that we live within walking distance (ie. 10 minutes or less) of two 7-11s!

#18 of 19 Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 AM

I lived in Montreal for a couple of years and there are NO SLURPEES in that city! I was in withdrawal the whole time. Slush puppies are NOT the same. It's funny that people will buy slurpees here in the winter and drink them with their mittens on. I even have a wedding photo with the whole bridal party drinking them!
#19 of 19 Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 AM

I think its a sweet idea. I wouldn't be embarassed, especially if I mentioned that I needed that. One of my acquantences from work gave me a few nursing bras and I barely knew her (funny thing is they actually fit). If she was comfortable with mentioning it Im pretty sure she would be comfortable in recieving them from you.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page