Draining the Birth Pool - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My midwife will supply the birthing pool. We asked her about draining it. She said we could drain it out a nearby window, which is our front yard. We are in a pretty rural area but... My DH is grossed out by this. He imagines our dogs getting in it etc. To me it for sure sounds better than the kitchen sink and I also wonder about stopping up the bathtub drain or something. Just how nasty will the water be? What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think how nasty the water is really depends on the particular birth. We drained ours out the window and it really wasn't nasty. The pool had some vernix and some meconium floating around it in but there was so much water that it was hardly noticeable. The water looked clear even though I sat in it for over an hour after the birth. I've seen some other tubs look pretty gross though, lol.
#3 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Hubs drained ours out of DS's bedroom window into the front yard. I didn't really see it, but I guess it wasn't too gross.haha!

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!

#4 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Don't they have pumps that you could attach to a hose and pump the water into your tub.

That's what we are doing.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#5 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM

we drained our's out the window into the flowerbed right there...those flowers actually did great after that! not gross at all...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) and Emmet (11-21-2014) Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM

pretty sure you can drain it into your toilet, and somehow the toliet flushes itself when it gets too full and you just put the lid down to hold the hose in, I could swear I read that here, maybe in the sticky on birth pools? anyway google it and make sure that this is how a toliet works, or even try it out and dump a bunch of clean water in and see if it flushes itself

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :
#7 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
pjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysgirl View Post
pretty sure you can drain it into your toilet, and somehow the toliet flushes itself when it gets too full and you just put the lid down to hold the hose in, I could swear I read that here, maybe in the sticky on birth pools? anyway google it and make sure that this is how a toliet works, or even try it out and dump a bunch of clean water in and see if it flushes itself
DH did this with our birthtub. I was afraid we'd have raccoons or some other wildlife hanging out to check out the debris.
#8 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm going to let my husband worry about it. Hahaha! Is that horrible of me? He is aware of the need to eventually drain the pool, he can use his mechanical prowess to figure out how exactly he will be doing it. I'm sure the midwives will have plenty of suggestions for him too.
#9 of 16 Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineymom View Post
My midwife will supply the birthing pool. We asked her about draining it. She said we could drain it out a nearby window, which is our front yard. We are in a pretty rural area but... My DH is grossed out by this. He imagines our dogs getting in it etc. To me it for sure sounds better than the kitchen sink and I also wonder about stopping up the bathtub drain or something. Just how nasty will the water be? What do you all think?
Mine had blood and poo in it, and the dogs/cats/ravens/smell were no an issue at all. BUT we found that have really high altitude, hose draining is impossible. My midwife, DH and FIL tried everything. They finally even up bailing it out, and then when it got light enough, just bending it out the window. In the end it worked, but not fun. Our midwife purchased a pump directly after that.

ETA: The bears didn't come around either!
#10 of 16 Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

We drained it out the back window. Our main reason for this approach was we did not want to run the large volume of water through our septic system and drain field. Since you live in a pretty rural area, you likely have a septic system also. This will save 100+ gallons of water from going into your system in a single shot.
#11 of 16 Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowan1 View Post
We drained it out the back window. Our main reason for this approach was we did not want to run the large volume of water through our septic system and drain field. Since you live in a pretty rural area, you likely have a septic system also. This will save 100+ gallons of water from going into your system in a single shot.
Thanks! I did not think of that! We've had issues with our septic before. I will remind my DH of that!
#12 of 16 Old 09-14-2009, 02:27 PM

new to the world of septics...why don't you want 100+ gallons of water going in at once?
#13 of 16 Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catballou24 View Post
we drained our's out the window into the flowerbed right there...those flowers actually did great after that! not gross at all...
This exactly!!!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 16 Old 09-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I think you are right about this. I'll have to check it out more. Dh wants to drain into the tub because we have a grinder pump in the basement, but I don't want that going down the drain if their is *extra* stuff going along for the ride down. KWIM? I don't need to be dealing with a nasty backed up tub after dh goes back to work if something gets stuck on the way down to the grinder. I think it should just go out the window. We have five acres...it's not like anyone is going to have any idea what it is.
#15 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Yep, it's actually the pressure of the water in the bowl that empties it. You can just stick the end of the hose into the bowl and put the lid down to hold it in. Done it as a mw asst! It really does work.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#16 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
we've done this, previously because all my dc were born in the winter and everything would have frozen and stayed with us for a long time in the yard; most recently we did it because we were concerned about attracting coyotes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page