• 1 Post By kyradark333
  • 1 Post By wjey

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Show up late for a section?

So, I am on my 3rd and final pregnancy.
I have wanted ever since my second pregnancy , to give birth naturally.
my first c-section in 2011 My water sprung a leak and being uneducated AND a first time mommy, i immediately went to L&D where i was almost immediately put on pitocin. they actually started it at about 3am but a glitch resulted in me not getting it until about 6am. i was allowed to labor (with epidural) until about 3pm when the dr came in a informed me i was only 4centimeters dilated and hadnt progressed much since admitting , and babys heartrate had dropped like 2 times so i was given a c-section.
my second was in 2013 and while my doctor agreed to "entertain the idea of a vbac" he told me if i hadnt dilated by my due date, i would get another section. well ,due to being ridiculously stressed basically on my own (no support for vbac from just about everyone) and my husband taking his baby vacation time way too early, i gave in and went ahead with section #2 . no complications or anything. strictly elective on my part, which i so regret now..
fast forward to now, very early in pregnancy ,5 weeks now, I am totally consumed by my desire to vba2c! its literally all i can think about and i know its going to be like climbing everest to succeed in getting what i so want. I feel selfish for saying I want this , but I really feel it is the best and safest option for both of us. Our bodies were designed for natural birth! But I live in Louisiana, a state with one of the highest c-section rates in the country from what i understand , and my area has a de facto ban for the most part on vbac let alone vba2c.i cannot afford a midwife and from what i gather , i couldnt get one to attend a homebirth anyway or she could lose her license. I have 2 toddlers now and caring for them PLUS a newborn on my own while recovering from major abdominal surgery is a nightmare , i know it was with my second child! the only real option i feel i have is to go to my regualr ob until the date of my surgery, and just not show up. until i begin labor that is..so my question is:
can i do that? can i just not tell anyone and stay at home until labor begins and simply arrive at the hospital in full blown labor and refuse the surgery?
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I have a friend that did just that. Well, she gave vaginal birth at the hospital while they were looking for the surgeon. I don't know that she went late though.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yes, but you have to show up basically pushing it out. You can do this. Natural birth is awesome, I have had a c-section, home birth and a hospital VBAC. Look into a doula, I think you would find this very helpful for laboring at home as long as possible.Since this is your first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 6 Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have pretty much the same question...the docs here will not even discuss VBAC because they "are Catholic" and "just don't do that". I am set on an unassisted VBAC since there are no other options here. I just want to make sure I do it as legal as possible so there will be no reason to involve child services.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
First of all, you are not at all selfish for wanting a VBAC. You are right. It is the best thing for you and your baby. My first was a C-sec and during my pregnancy with my second child, I was wholly consumed with finding somebody who would do a VBAC. I didn't find somebody that would work for me until I was 7 months pregnant, but I had a VBAC and all was well.

For baby #3 , my plan was to go to the same midwife and to the same hospital (almost an hour away, passing several other hospitals on the way), but the baby came too quickly. I arrived at the hospital about 2 hours after labor started and the baby was born about 30 minutes later. During the labor at the hospital, they tried to get my history, since I had to go to the hospital that was 5 minutes away and not the one where they were expecting me. I answered all questions until they asked me if I'd had previous surgery, at which point I refused to answer any more questions. I was pushing at this point and there was no way in the world that I was going to even let a c-sec even enter their minds.

After I had the baby, I was met with astonishment by the obgyn (she was flabbergasted about how I was able to have this baby for some reason - she had wanted to extract her with forceps or a vacuum after a half hour of pushing) and anger by the pediatrician (told me what a "stupid" thing I did). So it was not the idea VBAC, but at least they didn't try to cut me again!

All this to say that you absolutely can do this but you may have to show up ready to pop the baby out and refuse to answer some questions. And if you choose to go this sneaky route, arriving at a hospital where you're not expected will slow them down a bit. It is absolutely your right to refuse a c-section (though hospitals have been known to do them anyway). Since worry about legal action seems to be a big reason for them to want to do a c-section, I'd be willing to threaten to sue for performing a surgery without consent (sure the hospital could probably weasel around it, but when you're in labor and the baby is ready to come, any amount of slowing them down would be to your advantage). And if you can get a doula to support you (sometimes ones in training with help for free or for cheap) it would probably do wonders to ease your tough situation.

Good luck!
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 08-07-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyradark333 View Post
I have pretty much the same question...the docs here will not even discuss VBAC because they "are Catholic" and "just don't do that". I am set on an unassisted VBAC since there are no other options here. I just want to make sure I do it as legal as possible so there will be no reason to involve child services.
Them "being Catholic" would seem like the basis for being extremely *supportive* of VBACS! The risks for the mother increase a lot with each consecutive C-section, plus placenta accreta, percreta etc. You would think that someone who seems to advocate large families would want to give said families the best shot possible.

Baffles the mind.

Tags
Hbac , Natural , vba2c , Vbac

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page