discovering the gender at a c/s? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I am planning here like I am already pg, but I really love the thought of being the one to discover the sex of my baby. If I ended up with another c/s, would that be possible do you think? Do you think all those drs and nurses could keep it quiet and covered till the baby got into my arms? (assuming of course its a planned c/s and not all hectic in an emergency)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-27-2005, 11:13 PM

It should be possible! If you just make sure to tell everyone beforehand and keep reminding them throughout the cesarean... Then you could just unwrap your babys blanket or stick your hand inside the blanket to find out the gender just like with a vaginal birth.

When I had my c-sec with my son the Dr. said "its a boy" right when he was pulled out. There was no joy in his voice at all. It was just another baby, just another day at work for him. I wish that I would've known for the gender to be my discovery ~ that would've been much more special.
#3 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 06:51 PM

At my c/s they totally left it up to my Dh and me to find out the sex. I didn't even prewarn them to do it that way. I think this place just assumed you might want to discover yourself. Duh!! It was a great place to have a c/s, and alothough not planned, the sex discovery was as rewarding as it would have been at a vaginal birth. It was awesome.

#4 of 11 Old 05-01-2005, 04:43 PM

Yep, totally possible! When I had my c-section, they were very accomadating. When the baby was about half-way out, they told DH to stand up from my side and take a few pictures, if he wanted to (we got some pretty neat pics this way). They knew ahead of time that we didn't know the sex, so when they pulled the baby out, they said "Dad, take a look and see what you've got!" and he got to announce "It's a girl!"

Having an emergency c-section sucked, but it was great that they treated it like a birth and not a medical procedure. I'm sure that had I wanted it, they would have kept the sex of the baby quiet until I was able to hold her. For us, it was important for DH to be able to announce the sex (the whole reason we left it a suprise in the first place...it was his "part" in labour and delivery, I guess) and at least we got that out of the birth experience.
#5 of 11 Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 PM

I had a c/s and I asked them on the way to the operating room to please not say the gender out loud. I wanted Dh to look and then tell me. For the most part they complied. One nurse looked over the curtain at me and said something about "he" or "him". I heard her but I ignored her. When Dh told me it was a boy we both cried I was so happy!!!
It's possible for sure.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#6 of 11 Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Absolutely...with my c/s, I asked the drs not to tell. They held her up for DH to see first, and he told me the gender. It was great.
#7 of 11 Old 05-13-2005, 12:52 PM

With my c/s, we requested that there be absolute quiet when they brought the baby out. They thought it was b/c we wanted to hear the baby's cry but actually it was b/c I wanted our baby to hear our voices first - not some strangers. The surgeon was very, very good about this, reminding everyone right before my DD was pulled out to be quiet.

DD was 1/2 way out and my DH said, "It's a boy!!! I can tell by the face!"

Then DD was completely pulled out and a nurse said, "it's a girl!" And the room erupted in laughter.

I was so mad at my DH but ultimately thought that (1) DD heard her father's voice first and (2) She was brought into this world with the beautiful sound of laughter.
#8 of 11 Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 AM

It is totally possible! I asked that I not be told and to let dh and I find out for ourselves and they were all very respectful. One nurse said, "you've waited all this time, who am I to ruin it for you." They were willing to do a lot of things I asked such as keeping things quiet and calm. This was not a planned c-section either. It happened after hours of pushing a baby that just wouldn't come out. It was considered an "emergency" although the baby wasn't in distress at the time.
#9 of 11 Old 06-02-2005, 05:04 PM

I found out the sex of DD at my 20 week ultrasound. I ended up with a c/s due to pre-eclampsia/HELLP after a 20 hour induced labor that went nowhere. Anyway, with this one (EDD 11/25/05) I am keeping the sex a secret. My thinking is that if I have to have another c/s atleast there will be a nice surprise at the end. I too would like to find out the sex myself instead of having the doctors tell me. I think that we just have to make that fact known ahead of time. I see no reason why they wouldn't respect your request. I'm trying for VBAC this time unless I develop pre-e/HELLP.
#10 of 11 Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girrllie
I was so mad at my DH but ultimately thought that (1) DD heard her father's voice first and (2) She was brought into this world with the beautiful sound of laughter.
Oh god. I am so hormonal. This caused me to burst into tears. My 3rd was born into laughter as well.
#11 of 11 Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 PM

Hmm...would you really be able to wait until after the time in recovery and everything, to have the baby in your arms, to know??? It would kill me!

I didn't find out with my 3rd until they pulled him out and showed us - with my first I just "knew" it was a girl...the doctor said "there's the head" in the middle of the surgery, and I said "Is it a girl?!" and everyone in the room laughed and told me "It's the HEAD!" :P

Tina

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page