Land birth after water birth??? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaMakingMemories

#1 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Land birth after water birth???

My first birth was an induced birth with an epidural but my next two were natural, water births, which were amazing! My option this time is to have a midwife attended hospital in a big birth tub (which I did for the last baby and it was fine) or an out of hospital birth but no water as an option. I would love to be out of the hospital but am really nervous to forgo water. Has anyone had a land birth after having water births? My last baby came fast and was very intense and the water was a life saver. I am worried that if I forgo the hospital and water option, I will regret it. The midwife said I could always transfer to the hospital to have the tub if during labor I change my mind but by the time I will want water, it will be too late to transfer. It is just for transition/pushing that I really need the water. If I chose to forgo water, how can I prepare myself for a land birth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Your question is very important to me. I had an amazing water birth also, and wonder if I would ever birth any other way. Looking forward to hearing the replies.
#3 of 8 Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Why is water out of the question?
I'm just trying to better understand the situation.

#4 of 8 Old 11-11-2014, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Can you not rent a tub for the out of hospital birth option?

I've birthed on land twice, then had a water birth last time. I loved the water and was hoping to do that again, but I'm high risk this pregnancy and will have to be in the hospital where they don't do water births. I think it will be ok though. It's not like I can remember the pain of previous births and compare them. I know getting in and out of the water is a noticeable difference, but if I never get in for this birth, I won't notice that it's worse out, kwim? Transition is hard either way, and I just remind myself in the moment that when I feel like I can't do it anymore, it's almost over. Oh, and my DH applies counter pressure to my back. That helps immensely!
#5 of 8 Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My first baby was born in water, and it was lovely. I liked the water, and I thought I would do that again for my second baby. But I ended up pushing her out only about 20 minutes after I got to the birth center. When I got there, my midwives asked if I wanted the tub filled, and I said, "Sure," but really, I was beyond caring at that point. All I could think of was getting the baby out. I ended up squatting, using a birth stool. The tub wasn't even full yet by the time she was born! I didn't regret not having her in the water; I was just relieved that she had arrived, and labor was over.

I had a similar experience with my third baby. I got to the birth center and my contractions slowed down a bit. My midwives suggested going for a walk outside with my husband, since it was such a beautiful July day. We walked about two blocks, and by then, my contractions were super-intense and right on top of each other. I waddled back to the birth center and started pushing. She was born not long after, squatting with the birth stool. Again, no regrets about not birthing in water. I was just so relieved to be done.

With this baby, I'm probably going back to the same birth center, and I would like to try laboring and/or birthing in the water again, but I would also be okay with another labor that goes too quickly to fill up the tub!
fayebond likes this.

Happily married for 11 years. 9 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 5 year old daughter, and baby daughter.
#6 of 8 Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm also curious about why the tub isn't an option at home?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#7 of 8 Old 11-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a water birth with my first and had the same concerns as you about a land birth for my second but i really didn't miss it or even think about it during labor.
#8 of 8 Old 11-23-2014, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I think birth pains in water vs land are not as important as feeling safe/private/respected/loved vs not. Water is helpful but in the end, birth is painful, and the biggest helpers are your own *calm, controlled* emotions. At least, this is my hope, having only managed to sucessfully birth in water one out of three tries (same reason as mamamakingmemories only in a different order).

I would add, I don't have a land birth to compare to my water birth yet. My water birth was calm, with no kids, but both midwives and assistants made it. My husband was with me, it was calm, I was warm, and there were no complications. Land birth #1 was a rushed unecessary c section involving a downright mean pair of nurses. Land birth #2 was an unexpectedly unassisted birth at home, I was cold, wet, and trying to convince my husband and mom that, yes, the baby was actually coming and no, they couldn't wait for the midwife to catch her. So that is why I say, I think that your emtional and mental state is the biggest factor. Even though both my land births were more painful than my water birth, they were also more stressful. Edited for clarifiaction

Last edited by fayebond; 11-23-2014 at 12:19 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page