Wrong about dialation, did my MW make a big mistake or a little mistake? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About 6 hours into active labour with Whilder, I started feeling the urge to push. However, my midwife had just checked my dilation and said I was at 5. I started pushing anyway, as that's what I felt I needed to do. She checked again and said that maybe I was fully dialated and that was just a flap of cervix she was feeling, or a part of the sac (my water had not broken) and to go ahead and push and follow my body. I ended up pushing for almost 2 hours feeling very uneasy and kind of holding back, as I though I may really only be at 5cm. I feel like the pushing stage would have been considerably shorter and easier had I known for sure what my dialation was. Is this something my mw should have been more precise about? I know that measuring a cervix isn't an exact science, more like an estimation, but the difference between 5 and 10 cm is a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 AM

She made a mistake, but she made a different mistake than you're thinking of.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp
#3 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
She made a mistake, but she made a different mistake than you're thinking of.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp
Thank you for that article. I assume you mean that she made a mistake by checking me the second time? I asked to be checked, she didn't force it on me or even recommend it. I was very in charge of what was going on (thank god for homebirths!) and the mw (&my mother) were great guides. I guess the real mistake was the first check, but that was just a result of my curiosty. If I had it to do over again I woudn't have asked for any checks at all, I guess I just felt that that was what I was suppose to do.

#4 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 AM

It's possible that it wasn't a mistake. I went from 6cms to ready to push in a VERY short period of time. It is possible to open that fast.
#5 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
It's possible that it wasn't a mistake. I went from 6cms to ready to push in a VERY short period of time. It is possible to open that fast.
it was about 90 seconds between checks. Do you really think I could go from 5 to 10 that fast? :
#6 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 AM

I did go from 5cm when my MW began to check, during a contraction, and when the contraction was done (her still checking) I was 8cm.. she was doing a bit of manipulation..
WITH MY PERMISSION !!!!

Went from 5cm to baby in less then 30 minutes.
#7 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 12:46 PM

The problem is checking. If you FEEL ready to push, then push.

-Angela
#8 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 01:03 PM

No, I mean checking the first time was a mistake. Checking you when you requested it was fine, although that may not have happened if you hadn't been checked the first time, may have happened, might have asked for a check sooner, any number of possibilities.
#9 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 PM

I've gone from 7 to complete in 1 contraction before so it def possible. Of course you can have the urge to push before you are complete. Sometimes the cervix is so thin its difficult to tell dialation. My bag of waters once had a ridge in it and my mw had no idea what she was feeling. And sometimes pushing really does take a long time.

And you don't really need to push at all your baby will come out on its own. Last birth I never had a check to tell if I was complete...of course we knew cause of the copious amount of 2nd stage mucous . And I didn't push till the baby was on my perineum, cause I didn't want to.

I guess I would say that this wasn't a mistake but a learning experience.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#10 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The mistake is in assuming that pushing needs to happen at a certain dilation. As the midwife said, you should follow your body's urges. That doesn't mean that when you feel a slight urge to bear down that it means to push as hard as you can. It means to bear down slightly. This will help position the baby correctly and further dilation. When your body is ready for the baby to be born, you're right, it should go quickly, and be spontaneous and a largely involuntary movement. Knowing dilation won't help you know when to push, because it's not up to you to decide when to push in a normal labor, it's up to your body. Further you can be fully dilated and your body may still not be fully ready for the baby to traverse the birth canal. There are other things that need to happen as well. So the rule of thumb is to simply wait for the baby to be born. You don't have to do anything to make that happen; if your labor is instinctive and uninhibited, it simply will.
#11 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 PM

My water broke at 4cm and not even 4 minutes later my dd was born after 0 pushes lol

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#12 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 02:51 PM

Two hours of pushing is right on average for a first timer - even with your feelings of holding back, your baby came out in a good amount of time. Whether or not you were complete or not, it didn't seem to slow baby down a ton.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 20 Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 PM

W/ my 3rd baby, I felt like doing little pushes w/ a lot of my contractions the whole time I was in labor. It was my longest labor--8 hours, and I kept asking my midwife if it was ok to bear down a little. She told me to just do what felt right. Your body/instinctive brain knows what it's doing. The midwife doesn't and your logical brain doesn't either. A good midwife knows this.
#14 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 AM

after transition, i almost fell asleep btwn contractions. i felt my dd moving down very fast and from complete to birth it was 26 minutes!!!

although it probably would have been longer but my mw asked me to push hard b/c my baby's heartbeat started to get irregular. i even heard her say "get the oxygen ready". and her assistant (also a veteran mw) threatened (i say this half jokingly) me with an episiotomy if i din't push her out immediately. dd came out crying with cord around her neck twice but had an apgar of 10. no oxygen!!!
#15 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 AM

I agree with the PP that she should not have coached you to push. You push when your body tells you to. In my last labor I went from 6 to complete and pushing in less than three minutes. Everyone had to scramble because no one expected that so soon.
#16 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Two hours of pushing is right on average for a first timer - even with your feelings of holding back, your baby came out in a good amount of time. Whether or not you were complete or not, it didn't seem to slow baby down a ton.
As usual I have to disagree about this. Just because something is average doesn't mean it's normal. It's also average for most women to have managed or otherwise hindered second stages and to start pushing simply because they're given the go-ahead (not because their bodies are actually ready.) I also pushed for two hours with my first, but it was not spontaneous pushing, I *decided* to push (because the midwife was telling me to.) The fact that my spontaneous second stages were literally just a few minutes from start to finish tells me that my two-hour marathon was not normal by any means. Also, that the OP was able to "hold back" during pushing suggest that her body wasn't ready either.
#17 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM

I once checked a woman and she was '5 and sky high'. As I'm pulling my hand out she says "THE BABY IS COMING". Darned if the kid wasn't crowning. Granted this was her 5th baby, not her 1st, which does make a difference - but it can happen.
#18 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
it was about 90 seconds between checks. Do you really think I could go from 5 to 10 that fast? :

YES! I went from 6 cm to 10 in one contraction. :-)
#19 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Are you serious? crickey, that would suck:

Tammy
 vbac.gifvbac.gifvbac.gifvbac.gifhbac.gif 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#20 of 20 Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
I once checked a woman and she was '5 and sky high'. As I'm pulling my hand out she says "THE BABY IS COMING".
With my third baby I didn't know the dilation, but I couldn't feel anything but vaginal walls. This wasn't the case with my third and fourth babies (I could easily feel their heads on my cervix before I started pushing) so I'm assuming she was really way up there. She was out two contractions after that, one for the head and one for the body.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page