First day back at work - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to work today. I was scheduled 7-7 but I came home around 5. I just felt like I wasn't holding it together anymore. Luckily I could just leave. They were surprised that I even came in but I can't just stay home until I feel 100%. I feel so exhausted, not really from the work but from putting on a strong front all day and being out of the house.

I work in a NICU (as a student for the summer) so it wasn't the easiest job to go back to.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 PM

ugh. hugs to you...

Going back to work was really hard. I was not prepared for how exhausted I would be, both mentally and physically.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I went to work today but my head was not there at all so I left early.

I work at a hospital so I had my blood work drawn there as ordered by my midwife since I was already there instead of going into the office (which is 45 minutes away). Now the problem is getting the results. When I had the lab drawn I asked how long it would take to get the results and she said about an hour. Now I called the midwives office and the receptionist told me to have the lab fax the results over. I call the lab and she said she faxes them at the end of the day. I said can I give you the fax number so you can fax it and she said no I had to call back later and do it.

This is so annoying. I am following the rules and it is taking forever. I work at the hospital so I could just log in to the computer system and look up the results myself but I am not supposed to because it has nothing to do with my job. I asked my supervisor about it and she said I should go to medical records to get my information. I went there and asked and the secretary had no idea how to do what I wanted. I put a release on file and requested to review my medical records. Supposedly they will call me with an appointment during which I can review my records under supervision.

I called medical records and requested that they fax the information from my ER visit to the midwives and she told me that I have to come back in and fill out the same form separately (1 form for me to review, 1 form for release to midwives office) ARG. She said I told you that when you were here. Well sorry you weren't very clear, you knew what I wanted then and I only filled out one form, why didn't you ask me to fill out another form when I was there. I am just frustrated. Nothing is actually done. She also said they don't fax records only mail them. Great.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02

#4 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM

I'm sorry. It has to be hard going to the NICU.
#5 of 9 Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Sorry to hear how hard it is to getback to work. I am dreading that myself. I go back on Tues and am not looking forward to it. I know it has to be done and I need to get out of the house but it is so hard. I know as soon as I see anyone I am going to just start bawling. Good luck to you!
#6 of 9 Old 08-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cannot imagine how hard it would be to go back to work in a NICU.

I didn't go back to work for months, I was a student and just getting to school was enough (I only missed a few days), but I couldn't keep it together for my weekend shifts - emotionally or physically, I was so tired.

People were either great or horrible.
#7 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Take it however it is easier. If you can't stay the whole day, who cares. You are a strong woman for going back to your line of work, and that is admirable.
#8 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 PM

Wow, that has to be incredibly difficult. I'm always so amazed when someone in the birthing/baby business goes back to work after a loss. Just seeing babies afterward always made me want to cry and hide. You are a very strong woman.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#9 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. I am done working for now, it was a temporary job (13 weeks) so I went back for my last 3 shifts last week and worked 3 full days in a row fairly successfully. I did lose it when one of the nurses in the break room asked me how many weeks I was now. I actually felt better after I cried. She felt bad and said she had a miscarriage before she had her children. I wasn't upset at her. If I were still pregnant I would want to talk about it. It just is so hard telling people. I wish everyone would just tell people but they don't want to because it is personal and sad. But it is so much worse to just burst out crying.

The weird part is that seeing the babies didn't really bother me. That was the normal part. But when parents brought in cute baby clothes I got upset. When I had to walk through the hallway in the hospital where all the pregnant women were waiting for their appointments, I couldn't look at them. I just had to keep walking.

I went in today for a checkup to make sure everything is fine now and it is. But it was hard to go into the office knowing this was supposed to be my pregnancy appointment but it is now my miscarriage follow up appointment. Also my appointment had somehow gotten canceled so I wasn't on their schedule so I had to explain to the receptionist what my appointment was for. I was seen at the same time I would have been if my appointment was still on the schedule but just explaining what it was for was so hard and I started crying.

Once I was done with the appointment and felt like the whole miscarriage experience was officially over, everything passed, blood work looks good, my body appears to be back to normal I checked my voice mail. I had to send in my proof of pregnancy to make sure the care was covered. I had the receptionist fax this in about a month ago, called to make sure it was received but had to leave a message. Never heard from them again so I figured they got it. So I had to have the receptionist fax it again, still wasn't received, the 3rd time she faxed it they finally received it. It was so frustrating, especially because I just thought I had finished the last bit of business from this pregnancy/miscarriage. Also when I told the woman I wasn't pregnant anymore I had a miscarriage, she didn't say anything other then that they still needed proof of pregnancy. No oh I am sorry nothing.

So I guess now it is over, just need to wait for my period. I have been so cranky and mean today.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page