Bush's "culture of life" in America - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, can anyone help me understand how the POTUS is not a hypocrite when he talks about wanting to embrace and foster a "culture of LIFE" in America? (referenced in the 3rd debate when asked about the abortion issue)

He doesn't think a preemptive war against a sovereign nation that resulted in the deaths of thousands of Iraqi soldiers, approximately 20,000 Iraqi civilians (including women, children, and male non-combatants), and over 1,000 US soldiers, is contradictory to his "family values" policy of being pro-life. Does he only value life in the womb?

It is so hard for me to understand how so many of his policies have failed (foreign policy and domestic policy) yet many voters only vote based on one issue -- Bush's desire to overturn Roe v. Wade and make abortion illegal.

Does anyone else remember interviews several years ago in which both Bush's mother (Barbara) and his wife (Laura) in separate interviews indicated they did NOT believe Roe v. Wade should be overturned; they did not believe abortion should be made illegal.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Banned

Rhetoric here is being harnessed to further political and policy ends that have nothing whatsoever to do with the rhetoric in question. It's a standard political move (on all parts of the spectrum, really).

Why people continue to fall for it after having been proven wrong time after time, however, is beyond me. It must be willful self-delusion, particularly re the Bush admin, where the BS coming from the mouths of its members so blatantly contradicts the admin's actions.
#3 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
He doesn't think a preemptive war against a sovereign nation that resulted in the deaths of thousands of Iraqi soldiers,
I guess I don't understand that people can't see the difference between the death of an innocent baby (I sadly recognize the innocent people who die in war) and the death of a person in combat (I'm talking about war in general. Not looking for a debate about Iraq). I will also say I have no qualms about the death penalty (I don't think it should ever be used unless there is absolute, unrefuteable physical evidence.)

#4 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From my perspective the only life Bush values is life in the womb. During his time as governer of Texas, he approved the execution of many people on death row. Is this what he means by a culture of life? Now, I am not a total opponent to the death penalty but in Texas during his reign it seemed to be totally over used and I remember more than once his laughing at people on death row. He a born again Christian totally dismissed the woman on death row who had been born again herself. He even laughed at her. Bush says what he does to get re-elected. His actions speak louder than his words and he is no friend of life.
#5 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
I guess I don't understand that people can't see the difference between the death of an innocent baby (I sadly recognize the innocent people who die in war) and the death of a person in combat (I'm talking about war in general. Not looking for a debate about Iraq).
Pointing out the obvious here: Plenty of innocent babies have died in Iraq. I believe their lives had value, too.
#6 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 10:39 AM

Based on talking to some Bush supporters IRL, I believe they fall for the "anti-abortion" line so they can feel like they have been proactive regarding the situation.

Like if they vote for Bush, they've done their part to stop abortions. That way, they don't have to actually get out there and help someone that needs it.

However, I have met some that are out there making a difference and still support Bush. I don't understand them, but I do respect them for the good they do.
#7 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to all for the thoughtful responses....

ChasingPeace, I wholeheartedly agree.

I wonder if it would help any undecided voters who are torn due to their beliefs about abortion and their struggle with the Iraq war (and the deaths of thousands of innocent people, including women and children), to hear more loudly that Kerry is not pro-abortion.

And if Kerry could articulate other things he believes would help reduce the abortion rate in this country (strengthening support for adoption, greater access to birth control among low-income women, etc).... does anyone think a Kerry effort to offer ways to reduce abortions (while maintaining the legality of it) be helpful to those voters who do not agree with Bush on all other issues?

It saddens me to think that there are many many voters who do not agree with Bush on all other issues (except abortion) and still will vote for him due to this one issue.....
#8 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 03:33 PM

mothernurture -

Yes, I do think that would make a difference in undecided voters.

Almost everyone I know who is voting for Bush is voting on the abortion issue only. - I'm in the middle of the Bible belt.
#9 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I wish we could get that message to John Kerry's campaign... I know it is an issue they would rather stay away from but I think it would help to hear more concretely how Kerry would be comfortable trying to decrease the abortion rate (without making it illegal)..... I know his efforts for the middle and working classes (and people at or below the poverty line) should be seen as a way to mitigate the number of low income women choosing abortions... Also, his efforts to expand FMLA (FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT) should be seen as a way to help the working poor (a large segment of women who elect abortions) manage family and work.

The Bush administration chooses to offer help the wealthy and to corporate America... he is not doing nearly enough to help mitigate many of the economic reasons that lead to many elective abortions.

Also, if any undecided voters or Bush supporters believe that abortion should be an option for women who are raped, who are victims of incest, or whose lives are in danger, then abortion must remain legal and Roe v. Wade should not be overturned.

I believe that in past years, both Barbara Bush (current president's mother) and Laura Bush (his wife) make quiet statements (wish we could research that and get it into the press) about how they did not think abortion should be made illegal because in certain circumstances, they would want it as an option for their daughters and granddaughters. For instance, God forbid, if either Bush daughter was raped (either date raped or by a stranger), would they really want to deny their daughter the option of terminating a pregnancy that began as a criminal act of sexual violence?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page