Help! Diapers always leak! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am tired of changing my daughter's clothes at every diaper change. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Here's what we've been using: Kissaluvs fitted size 0, Kissaluvs contours, these tiny, cute fitted newborn diapers that say CSB on the tabs (can't figure out the brand), and some kushies and bumkins all in ones. With these I've been using some prowraps classics and bummi's super snap wraps.

It isn't so much that the diapers or the wraps are leaking. When she pees the diaper gets wet. Then the cloth seam of the wrap gets wet. This then wicks to her clothes, and it's time for a full change of clothes. The only diapers this doesn't happen with are the tiny newborn ones, and those are already a bit tight on her (4 weeks old, somewhere around 10 lbs).

Even the Kushies all in ones tend to leak. The bumkins not so mucih. So what am I doing wrong? Is it maybe a sizing issue? I don't know what i could be doing different. They appear to fit, but if the outer seams of the wrap come in contact with the diaper anywhere where it gets wet, we have leakage. Is this normal?

What to do? I really want to cloth diaper. I even ordered a bunch of Indian prefolds that shouldd be here tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Mom to one amazing little girl (32 months now!), 3 cats and 2 dogs. Wife to my hardworking hubby of 4 years. belly.gif again after 2 losses.  fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif  familybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 PM

I've heard nothing but complaints about the kushies- I think the diaper is the problem. Kissaluvs with covers aren't leaking, right?

-Angela
#3 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Well, I seem to have the same issues when I use the wraps or equivalent.

The only thing I've found that works for that is using the prefolds with a snappi or pins and using a nylon pull on cover. Honestly, with four kiddos I've been happiest with the pull on covers. They also hold in the breastfeed poop blow outs. And, they're pretty cheap actually. I just have the dappi kind...I know some other brands sell them too. The nylon ones seem to last forever practically! I've used these newborn ones I'm using right now with all four kiddos. Though I let mine airdry instead of drying them in the dryer, maybe that helps!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I've heard nothing but complaints about the kushies- I think the diaper is the problem. Kissaluvs with covers aren't leaking, right?

-Angela
Actually they are. The kissaluvs make up the bulk of my current stash so they are what she has on usually. Even one pee will leak through the outer seams of the wrap and get her clothes wet. The diaper is absorbing the pee so I don't think it's repelling the liquid. Sometimes they are completely soaked so I thought changing her more often would help, but I've changed diapers I could tell were just one pee that still leaked onto her clothes.

Mom to one amazing little girl (32 months now!), 3 cats and 2 dogs. Wife to my hardworking hubby of 4 years. belly.gif again after 2 losses.  fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif  familybed1.gif

#5 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manamakeri View Post
Actually they are. The kissaluvs make up the bulk of my current stash so they are what she has on usually. Even one pee will leak through the outer seams of the wrap and get her clothes wet. The diaper is absorbing the pee so I don't think it's repelling the liquid. Sometimes they are completely soaked so I thought changing her more often would help, but I've changed diapers I could tell were just one pee that still leaked onto her clothes.
Hmmm, Are all the ruffles of the kissaluvs completely inside the cover? I frequently wind up with seeping with the 1 kissaluvs I have because a stray bit of diaper is peeking out of the cover. I'm not a big fan of them for this reason.

Have you machine dried the covers. I've heard that may help seal the PUL.

Good luck. Hope you can find the problem.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 13 Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
We had a lot of leaks until my daughter was big enough for the diapers to be tight. We debated giving up on cloth diapers for a while there. Eventually the problem went away.

We used mostly Kissaluvs early on, with Imse Vimse and Bummi Whisper Wraps covers.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 AM

We had the same problem when DD was little....it was just around the legs, like the dipe was wicking to the cover. I remember posting and someone saying that was a problem with the wrap covers. DD was about to be growing out of what we had anyway, so we started putting her in FB instead.

Maybe it's that they're getting bigger and peeing in larger volumes, KWIM? Whoever answered me the one time said something about drying them in the dryer, but I can't remember if it was beneficial or detrimental. I'm no help!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

I use fuzzi bunz, so I can't be much help, except to say that my sister used kissaluvs 0 on her newborn recently and loved them. But I know that she used Thirsties covers, so maybe that was the difference?

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )
#9 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM

I would suggest a bigger cover size and make sure that the entire diaper is covered by the cover. It seems to me that the tiny newborn diapers aren't leaking because they get the best coverage by the diaper cover. I've also found that tight clothing tends to wick more than loose clothing .
#10 of 13 Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Like other people have said, having a great fit on the cover is super important (and having everything tucked inside the cover). I really like my Thirsties covers, with those gussets, the really hold in leaks. : )

I hope you figure it out!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#11 of 13 Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 PM

I second try looser clothing. Or go with just a diaper and tee shirt. Onesies can cause leakage. Also try a larger cover. Thirsties are great.

Mama to 8 little ones by birth and adoption. S 14, E 12, G 10, C 9, K 7, N 6, R 5, Ch 3 and baby T 9 months

#12 of 13 Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM

in my experience onesie created to much compression and set the stage for leaks.

Having everything absolutely tucked in is a must, and a good cover. Not all covers are cracked up to others. Some simply perform better than others.

I am with the previous poster about vinyl pull ups and a prefold or a fitted or Nikky's covers. They were superior to every other cover I used.

I love wool -- buy it for gifting, buy it for demo pieces for my tables, but I never used it for my diapering. I wish I was introduced earlier I think it is so wonderful and good for baby.

Prefolds (good ones) are always a good choice!

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#13 of 13 Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 PM

I've haven't heard anything good about kushies and I know some people say that kissaluvs isn't very absorbant and leaks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page