Help with wool - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty new to using wool. DD is 2.5 and we've used wool over fitteds around the house, generally first thing in the morning before we go out. I honestly pretty much NEVER wash the wool, just let it air out.

I recently bought her a wool interlock soaker. It's adorable and she loves it, so we've been wearing it more. However, lately she just pees right through it (and thus soaks her pants too). I assume it needs to be lanolised. I've never done that before. I want to buy some wool wash and/or lanolising stuff that is very easy to use (maybe something I could put in a delicate cold cycle in my washing machine? or something I could just spray on?) I do not want any scents. I'm very very sensitive to scented detergents and such. What would you recommend?

I'm pregnant and planning to use mostly fitted and wool next time around. I've already started buying some tiny newborn wool on diaperswappers. One of the wool soakers I bought has a very strong scent to it. Any recommendations on getting the smell out? I want to have the whole wash and care of wool pretty much down before this little one makes an appearance.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

I'm running out the door, but here are two gems

I think SudsNDudz has an unscented wool wash bar. I find their soap to work well.

Check out the video on greenmountaindiapers.com about lanolizing a cover. It's short and easy and I found it super helpful.

HTH

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Eucalan makes an unscented version as well. Also use a little Lansinoh. I second the green mountain video.

Lanolising is really very easy!

#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Yeah I bought some used that had a really strong scent! I had to wash it four times at least. Just washing with dish soap seems to work just as well as eucalan. I lanolinize mine by dissolving a bit of laninoh breastfeeding lanolin in water and soaking them.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM

I actually jsut use the eucalan and find that lanolizes well enough for us - I haven't had to lanolize separately. Eucalan has lanolin in it. : )

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Just put some Lansinoh in a teacup with some very hot water, and stir until it dissolves. Then turn the cover inside out, and very slowly pour the water/lanolin all over the cover, making sure to coat the whole thing. If you don't have enough to do the whole thing, do it again. Then let it dry, and turn it right side out again. It'll be sticky on the inside for awhile, but baby's skin will absorb the excess.

I find I have to do it over about every two months or so. So really, even though it takes a few minutes, it's no big deal.

I only wash my wool when it gets dingy looking or smells. When that happens I use Dawn, and then relanolize while the cover is still wet.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

sounds like it is in need of being lanolized.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page