Do all cloth diapers leak?! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pregnant with my first here. I am absolutely planning to use cloth diapers. The other day I was at a friends house who has a baby and an older child and who used cloth on both. She was changing baby's diaper and complained, " I am so sick of cloth diapers! They always leak. I constantly have to change her soaked clothes?"

Is this a true fact? Do cloth diapers all leak? Or are some better than others? where do I even start to figure out which type of diaper cover or even diaper to use for my newborn (coming late winter )
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, they don't all leak. If the baby's clothes are getting wet, it could be that there wasn't enough absorption or the diaper wicked. For wicking, it could be that the cover wasn't waterproof (IME PUL covers being used for the 2nd times sometimes do this) or there was a little bit of the diaper sticking out of the cover that came into contact with the clothing and the wetness wicked. If the diaper was just full, then she would either need to change more often, or use more absorption in there. Or the diapers could be repelling and not absorbing well.

We use prefolds and PUL covers (faves are Thirsties and Bummis SWW) and the only leaking I've seen is at night when we needed to increase the absorption due to sleeping a longer stretch (so we use two prefolds at night), or when the diaper wasn't 100% tucked in and a little piece wicked moisture onto the bed.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#3 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM

No they don't all leak. We personally use a variety of brands and never have leaks. Not even at night. It could be what she is using, maybe not using enough inserts for absorbancy. Maybe she is using the wrong type of detergent and causing build up so they don't absorb. Don't get discouraged. If you need help e-mail me.
Lynda

#4 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM

We never had a leaking problem, BUT I am obsessive compulsive about really promptly changing (I potty learn my kids at 18 months). So maybe it's a combination of slow to change diapers and lack of appropriate absorbency.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#5 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Nope, no leaks. A good quality absorbent diaper and a good quality cover will leak less than disposables. The one really awful poop leak I remember dd having, the only extra outfit I had in the diaper bag to change her into was off-season--it had been THAT long since I had last had to change her clothes due to a leaky diaper!

I don't know what kind of diapers your friend uses, but we mostly used diaper service quality prefolds, fastened with a Snappi, and Mother-ease air flow covers.

Mommy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 10) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 6)
#6 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No. I have had more problems with disposables than cloth. We use prefolds & mommy's touch covers.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)
#7 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nope the only time we had leaks was eaither from me failing to totally tuck in the diaper so wetness wicked out, or accidently leaving on a diaper way to long that had no bussiness being left on that long or occasonally just her need to be sized up. These were all rare things. As a rule I changed ASAP when wet I prefered to not use covers especially at home so I could do this but I also had CD that on average would contain a leak for at least 3 hours or the length of her sudden nap attacks

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#8 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good to know! I had never heard anyone complain of this before and many of my friends use cloth. This particular friend is quite a pessimist so I was just making sure that it was her typical pessimism and not a fact that all cloth diapers leak! I will be using cloth.
Thanks
#9 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Personally, I don't use onesies on my kids becaue they DO tend to get wet at the legs, no matter what kind of diaper we use. Most of the time it isn't so wet that it necessitates a change of clthing, but it does annoy me. My son has big thighs and the onesie tends to creep way up into the diaper/leg junction and that is probably why though.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#10 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
No. I have had more problems with disposables than cloth.
Us too. Newborn poop was especially awful for exploding out of disposables.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM

The only time we've leaked is with disposables or when DH doesn't put on a cover!

still learning
#12 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM

I had more problems is sposies. I find that when I have leaks its because the diaper wasn't put on correctly (or DD has reached into her pants and loosened the cover ) or because the diaper was left on waaaaaaaay too long. (This has only happened once--I just totally forgot somehow).

student momma to two great girls

#13 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 04:03 PM

I've had leaks when my pockets repelled. Fleece is kinda picky like that. I've also had leaks with side snapping pockets (with fleece inners). Just occasionally though, not "all the time."
I've never had any leaking with diapers with natural inners though, even if they aren't snug around the legs. Well, I take that back- I had a poo leak with one, but I KNEW it was a possibility because the elastic in that cover is totally shot (but I love it anyway). Still never had a pee leak in it.

Don't get me wrong, I love pockets. But IME they are more likely to leak than others.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#14 of 16 Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 PM

what everyone else said! you MAY have a few leaks as youre figuring out what works for you, but maybe not. gwyn has way fewer leaks in cloth. you will love cding, dont worry about your grumpy friend lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#15 of 16 Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 AM

I find cloth diapers to be extremely dependable against leaks, as long as you've got a good absorbent diaper underneath a good reliable cover. Some are definitely better than others, and there is a little learning curve as well. But, it's easy to learn I promise.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#16 of 16 Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 AM

The only time I have had trouble with leaks is whenever I try to use a pocket diaper. I guess microfiber and me don't get along. I THOUGHT I was using the right detergent, the right amount, prewashed enough and all that, but I guess not! I gave up on those.

What I absolutely love are fitted diapers (thirsties fab or bumgenius bamboo) with thirsties (regular or duo wrap) covers!!!! If I could start over again, I would invest all my money into those. I found prefolds never gave me the fit I wanted and I always struggled too long to get them on. They were very dependable and affordable, just not for me.

So besides the pockets (the ones Ive tried are bumgenius and rumparooz) I never have leaks. and I dont even use doublers or extra anything. And I dont change my baby at night.

For me, the downsides to cloth have been having to wash them all the time, and since they are a little bulkier than disposables, you have to buy bigger clothes to fit over them. for instance, my 4 month old wears size 9-12 month onesies, and those are getting tight. I think they shrink a lot in the wash too. So buy big!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page