pocket diapers leak! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 27 Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, i'm having some trouble with my LO's pocket diapers. We have two tiny tushs, one Bum genius, and one dry bees and use them just for night time. all four of them leak...seems like its mostly up his back and through his leg, whichever side hes laying on. I thought they needed to be stripped but then I read somewhere that hot water ruins the fleece. I actually always wash them on hot with very little charlies soap and double rinse..how do I stop the leaks?? i don't think they are to loose either.

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 AM

I had that same problem! I thought I was following the washing instructions, but no matter what I couldnt fix the repelling issue, so I ended up selling a lot of my bum genius pockets. Now I'm a fitteds girl, but I really do like the idea of pockets.
#3 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 AM

I have the same problem. What's more confusing is I have 3 Swaddlebees pockets - 2 NEVER leak, 1 leaks every time. I've tried Bum Genius, DryBees, Thirsties, and Fuzzy Bunz - all leak. Like the previous poster, I've started switching to fitteds. Wish I could figure out the problem, though.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee

#4 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Is the insert getting wet at all?
It could be repelling, but it might not be. Ds can't use pockets at night- he's a side sleeper, and the fleece/suedecloth just doesn't pull the pee in fast enough. It ends up leaking out the wings, basically.

If you think it's repelling, you can scrub them with Dawn (I used a washcloth to scrub mine) or I've read you can wash them with RLR.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

If it's a repelling issue, I also had good luck with using a little blue dawn and sort of rubbing it in with a toothbrush. Then rinse rinse rinse with super hot water until you don't see bubbles anymore when agitating.

I always wash on hot and don't seem to have repelling issues (most of the time).

The only time I had repelling issues was when I temporarily switched laundry detergents.

Fabric softner, certain detergents, certain diaper creams can all cause build-up on diapers and cause repelling.

If the inserts are soaking wet, you can try more absorbancy. If he leaks and they aren't that wet, I'd usually assume it's a fit issue or a repelling issue...

Hope you can figure something out!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#6 of 27 Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah my son is a side sleeper as well, so maybe that in itself is the issue. And his inserts are wet when he wakes up to I know they are absorbing something but they aren't as soaked as i've seen them and there is still leaking.. idk lol.. I do use fitteds during the day but I think I would have to get up and change him quite a few times and the pockets used to keep him dry all night. but thanks all for the advise!

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#7 of 27 Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Michigan Mama;15047395]If it's a repelling issue, I also had good luck with using a little blue dawn and sort of rubbing it in with a toothbrush. Then rinse rinse rinse with super hot water until you don't see bubbles anymore when agitating.

Fabric softner, certain detergents, certain diaper creams can all cause build-up on diapers and cause repelling.

How do I use the blue dawn? you said you scrub it by hand.. can I use it in the washing machine with the rest of my diapers? and also I use angel baby bottom balm cream on him, could that be the culprit of the build up? I thought that was ok to use on with cloth diapers?

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#8 of 27 Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

I know for me it was a repelling issue, which totally confused me because I thought I was using the right detergent. I tried stripping them with dawn by washing them in the washer with it, and it didnt help. I always washed on hot.

for what its worth though, my expensive rumparooz pockets have never repelled, and work just fine. They run smaller than the BG's but are super stretchy.

I have heard of some people putting stay dry liners in their diapers that want to keep their babies dry, although I dont know if the liners would start to give you the same issues the pockets were, but it might be worth looking into.

according to the rash cream chart http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...rashcreams.htm there, that cream is supposed to be safe for cloth diapers. and it probably is..for less picky fabrics. I think bum genius diapers are just super picky or something.
#9 of 27 Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron's Mommy View Post
I thought they needed to be stripped but then I read somewhere that hot water ruins the fleece.
Wait. Does that mean that pocket diapers are not supposed to be washed in hot water?

Now mom to DS1 born January 2010 and DS2 born December 2014!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 12/08 (6 weeks), 
 1/13 (11 weeks), & 
 12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#10 of 27 Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Wait. Does that mean that pocket diapers are not supposed to be washed in hot water?
You'll need to check with the manufacturer's for their specific instructions, but generally speaking pockets do fine on very hot water. I've been using them for about 5 years and always wash on hot with no problems.
#11 of 27 Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron's Mommy View Post
Yeah my son is a side sleeper as well, so maybe that in itself is the issue. And his inserts are wet when he wakes up to I know they are absorbing something but they aren't as soaked as i've seen them and there is still leaking.. idk lol.. I do use fitteds during the day but I think I would have to get up and change him quite a few times and the pockets used to keep him dry all night. but thanks all for the advise!
ah yes. Side sleepers seem to be very hard to diaper at night. lol.
I have better luck with "trifolded" flats and covers than pockets. I use a "staydry" pouch so ds doesn't feel wet. Even that combo leaked last night. But I *think* it could be because the pouch is starting to repel a little bit.

If you want to use fitteds, you could find a way to cut a piece of fleece to cover the inside of the fitted. That's my next plan (only with suedecloth).

#12 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

I have better luck with "trifolded" flats and covers than pockets. I use a "staydry" pouch so ds doesn't feel wet. Even that combo leaked last night. But I *think* it could be because the pouch is starting to repel a little bit.

i'm not familiar with the stay dry pouch, what kind are they?.. i wonder if this is just something that happens to the fleece after a while? i hear mamas saying they just use fitteds or prefolds at night , but i hate the idea of the inside of the diaper being wet against his skin all night.. i have fleece liners but they only keep that small area dry

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#13 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 AM

I had some made by Rainshine Designs, but they are similar to Cottonbabies pouches that are readily available.

#14 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

oooo these look awesome! thanks

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#15 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
A side-sleeping baby who pees quickly will often not be able to use pockets at night b/c the pee rolls off the fleece into an area of no absorbency (the wings) before it can soak in. If this is the problem, you need a fitted or a prefold that will have absorbency all the way to the edges and up on the hip (so if you use a prefold, I recommend jelly-rolling it and Snappi-ing it on.) Then over that I recommend a pull-on style wool or fleece soaker so that you don't get the cover standing away from the body at the waist or legs.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#16 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
A side-sleeping baby who pees quickly will often not be able to use pockets at night b/c the pee rolls off the fleece into an area of no absorbency (the wings) before it can soak in.
You say it so simply

I've also had luck stuffing wipes into the wings. It was a pain though.
I'm now having a friend make some thin "inserts" to cover the whole front of my night time cover, and covering it with suedecloth. I hope that gives us more of a chance of catching the pee before it escapes.

#17 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

thats a good idea too!.. i posted this in another thread as well but, last night another mama on here was asking about the gdiapers and it gave me an idea, I have some gdiapers laying around that people gave me for my shower. Last night I placed my pocket inserts along with a terry soaker in the pouch part of the gdiaper, then I layed a fleece liner into it. this worked beautifully! my 8 month old slept until 9:15!! it didn't leak even a drop! just though I would throw that out there

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#18 of 27 Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM

I am SO glad I found this thread! DS never has leaks during the day, and I KNOW my diapers are not repelling, but we wake up soaking wet every morning!! I say 'we', bc we co-sleep, so I wake up with pee on myself as well

This just started like 2 weeks ago, and I figured it was a combo of DS getting bigger and peeing more, and sleeping longer at night. I figured it was a no-win situation, till I saw this!

Quote:
A side-sleeping baby who pees quickly will often not be able to use pockets at night b/c the pee rolls off the fleece into an area of no absorbency (the wings) before it can soak in.
DS is a side sleeper!

So is a fitted or a prefold better for a side sleeper? I have never used anything but my pockets, so I have no idea what to get. Any opinions on the best cover for a super-wetting-side-sleeper? Maybe wool?? If someone could point me in the right direction of something, I would very much appreciate it!

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#19 of 27 Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavismom View Post
I am SO glad I found this thread! DS never has leaks during the day, and I KNOW my diapers are not repelling, but we wake up soaking wet every morning!! I say 'we', bc we co-sleep, so I wake up with pee on myself as well

This just started like 2 weeks ago, and I figured it was a combo of DS getting bigger and peeing more, and sleeping longer at night. I figured it was a no-win situation, till I saw this!

DS is a side sleeper!

So is a fitted or a prefold better for a side sleeper? I have never used anything but my pockets, so I have no idea what to get. Any opinions on the best cover for a super-wetting-side-sleeper? Maybe wool?? If someone could point me in the right direction of something, I would very much appreciate it!

The Dancing Bears fleece soaker. Totally bulletproof and really easy to care for. But don't size up!

#20 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
The Dancing Bears fleece soaker. Totally bulletproof and really easy to care for. But don't size up!
Thank you!! I'm going to try this! Will one last all night?? How many do I need to last through 2 nights? DS wets through 2 pocket diapers w/a doubler every night.

I have no idea what I am doing other than my pockets though... do I put a pre-fold under this??

THANKS!!

#21 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you!! I'm going to try this! Will one last all night?? How many do I need to last through 2 nights? DS wets through 2 pocket diapers w/a doubler every night.

I have no idea what I am doing other than my pockets though... do I put a pre-fold under this??

THANKS!!
I only have 1 and if it is just damp, I just hang it up to dry, or you can throw it in with ANY laundry - it is not persnickety about how you wash it.

You can use any fitted or a Snappied prefold or two underneath - the most absorbent options I have used are TWO premium prefolds, jellyroll the legs and Snappi on; or the Green Acre Designs semi-fitted stuffed with 3 inserts. (This is a one-size Snappiable, stay-dry fitted that comes empty and you can stuff it with a bunch of whatever inserts you already have. Since the cover is going over it, you can stuff it much thicker than you could a pocket diaper.)

#22 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
My DS is in the middle for the small and the medium at around 15 Ibs.... ??? I think I should order the Med?

Small (10-18 lb)

Medium (15-28 lb)

#23 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
My DS is in the middle for the small and the medium at around 15 Ibs.... ??? I think I should order the Med?

Small (10-18 lb)

Medium (15-28 lb)
No, definitely small. He is not even 3 months, right? My dd is 20 months and wears 2t clothes and the medium is big on her!

#24 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
No, definitely small. He is not even 3 months, right? My dd is 20 months and wears 2t clothes and the medium is big on her!
He is 12 weeks as of yesterday He is a giant baby though, with very chunky thighs. He is about 15 1/2 pounds right now and wearing 6-9 mo clothes.

So a small is still ok? I am very excited about this! I think I may order the ones with the Kanji on them as my DS is part Japanese, my DH will love it.

I also ordered some little lions prefolds.... Now I gotta figure out how to fold them haha!

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. Its no fun waking up in pee!

So just to clarify too... I can keep using the soaker through more than one diaper change? Because if this is the case, I may order a day weight one too.

#25 of 27 Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 PM

I really think a small would be okay.

You can use it on more than one diaper change, as long as it doesn't smell objectionable to you. I don't think it does.

#26 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 11:27 AM

I have this issue too! I use FB or BG 3.0 pockets with 3 inserts and still have leaks on the sides. I don't want to buy different diapers so maybe I'll try adding the fleece cover.

FWIW, I tried 2 disposables (at one time) one night and they did no better. Were practically disintegrating by morning. So that made me feel better about my cloth. Still, would be nice if he wasn't soaking every morning.
#27 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM

I have the same problem with our Wonderoo pocket nappies. The problem is it leaks through the material that's meant to be waterproof, always around the legs. It got to the point we had to buy Mother Ease which have never leaked for us.

I've always washed the Wonderoos as instructed and don't use softener or any harsh laundry liquids. It's disappointing because I really like them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page