Sticky, yes sticky diaper question... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently bought several used hemp/cotton blend fitted diapers and I notice when I wash them they are really sticky like they have a film on them after coming out of the washer. Is this normal for hemp? I am washing them with Charlies Soap and have stripped them probably at least 3 different times (mainly because they were pretty dirty when I got them) After I dry them they feel fine but they are also making my other non hemp diapers and liners feel this same way. Should I be washing them together?

SAHM to DD born 4/09, DS born 10/11, angel baby ectopic 3/13, and due 8/14 with little peanut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM

I wonder if it could be a detergent build up. What did you strip them with? I would do a hot wash with Dawn or whatever you have on hand and then rinse on hot till you get no suds and hopefully it will be gone. You may have to do this to your other diapers if it has transfered to them but I would do your old dipes on there own maybe.

I have had hemp and it never felt sticky for what it is worth.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Katie...I never used Dawn to strip them with. Before I just used hot water and calgon since we have hard water. I just tried using the method you suggested. And they still felt sticky/filmy so I did it again and again the same. They almost seem stickier the more I wash them. Wierd. They do smell better than they did though! Any other ideas??

SAHM to DD born 4/09, DS born 10/11, angel baby ectopic 3/13, and due 8/14 with little peanut.

#4 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 PM

It seems to me that I've read that Charlie's soap gets rid of buildup, so you might need to "strip" with it a few more times.
I think I've read that you need to strip your washer as well. Do you have bleach? I'd do a thorough cleaning of your washer (I don't remember exactly how I did this- I think a load with a towel or two, then use a cloth to wipe out the entire washer, including under the rim etc).

Could you be using too much detergent?
My next step would probably be to use super hot water (add some boiling water to the wash water), and either do the Dawn again, or use Charlies. Then after that load, do another full cycle or two with no detergent at all, and keep checking for suds. If there are any suds at all, keep doing more cycles.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Weird problem - I know you have to really pre-wash hemp to get the oils out before using, but having done so myself I never noticed a stickyness to it.

I too would assume they need something stripped out of them. Maybe try soaking them overnight in hot water, maybe with light vinegar or something? I wonder if they accidentally got lanolized - that might do something like this? Definitely wash separately than your other dipes for awhile.
#6 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I will just experiment with stripping them different ways and cleaning out my washer and hopefully that will help. If they had accidentally been lanolized that would make sense...and being that they are used diapers who knows! I thought it was a weird problem, but then again I've never used hemp so I wasn't sure. Thanks for all your suggestions though!

#7 of 7 Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Do they repel? If so it does sound like it could be from being lanalized. Why anyone would do that is beyond me but I have heard of worse things.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page