Diapering a toddler. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HELP.... I'm about to have to switch to sposies & I really don't want to. My 20 month old DS pees straight through PFs & PUL covers, & I don't mean after a couple hours, more like within 20 min of putting it on. I have to stick with PFs, as we just bought 2 dz premium from Little-Lions (we've tried several brands of pockets & they're worse than what we have now.). The ONLY thing he doesn't go straight through is a wool pull-on cover that I made from Katrina's soaker pattern. Is this going to be my only option if I want to keep using cloth on him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Have you tried resealing you diaper covers? Drying them on low for 30minutes? Are your prefolds soaked when this happens? Could they need stripping? Or maybe you haven't prepped the new ones enough? That was my problem when I started adding new diapers for my toddler.
#3 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't dried the covers, yet, but I have washed them really hot. Does drying work better? The PF usually is just wet right where he pees, but in the same spot on the cover it's soaked!! How long does it take for them to be fully prepped? I did 6 hot washes & dryed them a few times to initally prep with detergent every other wash. We've been using them for about 3 weeks. I've been only using the same dozen to make sure that at least they will be prepped well. They get washed in hot every other day, if not, every day, lol with the way he has been wetting!

#4 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM

I think your diapers should be prepped by now with all that washing - lol. What detergent are you using?
The covers shouldn't get washed on hot, that compromises the PUL. Try drying them once through the dryer and then wash on cold/medium. Your diapers can also be washed on the same setting. If you are worried about sanitizing you can lay them out in sun to sanitize them both.
Also you can add some white vinegar to your rinse cycle to break up anything that might be left behind by your detergent.
#5 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe try a different cover. I never have a cover leak from the center. Just from the legs holes if too big, or poop up the back.
Take a look at the mother ease airflow covers

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 6 Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!! :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page