Cd 101? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking at the diapering threads and ads and find it overwhelming. I'm due to order some 'sposies, as you all say, and would rather try something new. : Here's the questions...

What do you use? - in detail please

I thought I knew what prefolds were but the snappies and soakers are all alien to me. Does any one use diaper pins and plastic pants anymore?

What is everybody sewing? What are you making and what are you making it out of?

You can't all be using $20.00^ each diapers are you?

What size is my 20pd 1yr old?

I'm crispy trying to get crunchy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 12:50 AM

I started cloth several months ago.

My initial stash was CPFs and prowraps (a modified version of the plastic pants. that have velco). Those worked just fine. I liked the fact that I didn't need snappis or pins. I can just trifold my CPF, place it in the wrap and close it around her.

I ventured out to some pockets after that (for ease when I'm running errands, need a slimmer diaper) and used Fuzzi buns.

THEN.... I fell victim to the dark side and became obsessed with AIOs, Fitteds, wool soakers, everything that you talk about making you overwhelmed.

I've only bought about 3 diapers new. (aside from my first order of CPFs) the rest I buy on the trading post or on e-bay.

My DD is also around 20 pounds and she wears a large in just about everything.

You would be fine with just CPFs and some covers. I highly recommend at least a couple of fleece covers though.... because they breath so well, and maybe just buy a yard of fleece and make some liners to put between the cloth and the baby to wick the moisture out to the cloth, but to keep baby dry. I found with using strictly plastic covers, my babe was developing a rash from lack of air circulation.

ENJOY!!!! I'm a diaperaholic now

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#3 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

What are pockets? aio? You use a fleece liner and cover? Are cpfs the 12 pack things that you get at the regular store - cotton rectangle w/ a thick strip down the middle? - I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Do you use disposable wipes? Can you come over? ( I really feel dopey )

#4 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:08 AM

You DON'T want the square diapers you buy in the store. They are junk in my opinion and don't absorb worth a beans (they make great spit rags).

I got my CPFs online (chinese prefolds). They are also listed as DSQ (diaper service quality). Your DC would probably use a premium size (and you would never have to buy another size... that is what I did).

Pocket diapers are diapers that usually have a waterproof outer and a fleece inside, with an open pocket in the middle that you can stuff with doublers (thick absorbant fabric the shape of the pocket) or you can just tri fold a CPF and stuff it in there. I prefer the Joey Bunz hemp doublers because they are really trim. I only use those when we are out running errands.

AIOs are all in ones.... meaning they have the cover, the diaper, the soaker, etc. all in one. They are basically like a sposie... only cloth and not nasty like the sposies

Yes... I use a piece of fleece fabric to put between baby and the diaper... the fleece keeps the moisure away from her skin and keeps it in the CPF... and then I use the fleece cover to hold the diaper on. I prefer the fleece (or wool.. but wool is so $$$$) just because they keep so comfy. I thought I'd never use fleece at night, because I didn't see how the bed wouldn't get soaked when her diapers are always drenched in the morning... but no moisture gets through... it's crazy how it works. I have Stacinator double fleece covers that I got on ebay and I LOVE THEM!!!

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. I remember how terrified and overwhelmed I was when I first started.

ETA: I use cloth wipes with a solution of baby wash, baby oil and water. BUT.... I use disposable wipes : for the really nasty poopy diapers....

#5 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:11 AM

With ds#1 I started w/prefolds (unpinned, just folded) and a waterprrof cover... later mover onto fitted w/ a waterproof cover... then onto AIO's from when he was 1 year old until "potty trained" at 24 months. Out of the 3 choices I definately liked AIO's best...

w/ ds #2 I used prefolds & waterproof cover mixed w/ some fitteds for a few weeks, then switched to fuzzibunz (pocket dipes)...

I prefer having all my diapers of the same style (such as all fuzzibunz or all AIO's).

I do like the fuzzibunz. They are simple, durable, don't leak, and keep his skin pretty dry... but they are kinda expensive IMO.
#6 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You can't all be using $20.00^ each diapers are you?
Well, the kind I use cost anywhere from $10 to $17 if you buy them new...: But luckily I can find them secondhand a lot. I don't do the prefold and prorap thing; I like stuff that comes in cute prints and colors. Right now I'm using Bumkins AIOs, Fuzzi Bunz, Kissaluvs (by themselves; no cover) and Patchwork Pixie fitteds.

I'm new to CD but I love it and would be happy never to use a sposie again!
#7 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Can I get a quick lesson on washing too? Are you rinsing them out in the toilet, then straight to the washing machine? drying them in the dryer? I'm not allowed to have a clothesline. Some of these sound pretty high maintenance and we are a t-shirt type of family here.
#8 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:37 AM

I very rarely have a diaper that requires rinsing. Usually her poo just falls out into the toilet with very little residue on the diaper. Therefore I use a dry pail

I have a front loader washer, which are supposedly not as good at cleaning the diapers (because they don't use much water) so I use a quick cold water wash with baking soda and then a long hot wash, cold rinse (with an extra rinse) with about 1/4 cup of tide... no bleach, no softeners.

I use the dryer in the winter and the line in the summer.

I thought it would be a ton of work.. but it really isn't. Just make sure you have at least 2 dozen dipes and you are good for a few days at a time.

#9 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't really mind doing laundry - never have. I was just curious about that part of it. Do you get your supplies from this trading post? I will look into it tomorrow. I'm at work right now and the mice are coming out so I am going home!
#10 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 01:50 AM

I got a majority of my diapers from the trading post. I got my CPFs online (don't remember which place... a bazillion places sell them).

Just remember, if you get new CPFs, you need to wash and dry them 3 times before using them to "fluff" them up and increase their absorbancy. And always use very little detergent.. because detergent build up will make your dipes stink.

#11 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 11:02 AM

Moving this to Diapering...
#12 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered some this morning and can't wait for them to get here. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be full of more questions before too long. Thanks again.
#13 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 12:02 PM

You sound just like i did about 9 months ago... i started looking in cd when i first found a AP (attchment parenting) web site... then found a lady that taught me all i know! LOL then i found mothering and learned a lot more! I have just started getting my newborn stash together... baby is due 2 months from now... i have on the way to my house about 8 used nb covers and 3 small cover of various brands... mainly cheap though. I also have 4 fitted diapers and one nice night time cover on the way... total money spend about $20.00 plus a trade item worth about $45. I still need to buy my prefolds offline... but still looking on the tp frist! LOL The TP here is great... great people, prices, and all that. Good luck figuring it all out. it takes a while but you will get it!!!
#14 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Hi! We have been CDing for about 3 weeks, we love it!

I'm gonna start backwards here with the washing. This is what was suggested to us by a mama here - Always wash on the longest cycle your machine has. Hot wash, cold rinse. Put the dipes in and run them through one rinse cycle - this gets out any poop that didn't shake or fall off into the toilet (I'll address this again in a minute) and rinses away most of the pee pee give your dipes a better chance of getting really clean and fresh smelling! If you have a friend or family member that can let you put up a line or one of thosw sweater drying racks (you can get them cheap at Wal-Mart) from time to time, do this to sun out any poop stains that you might have. These stains will still sun out even after many wash and drys. Don't use a fabric softener, this can cause your dipes to repel!

As for rinsing the dipes after poops, I too just shake it off. No dilpping or spray rinsing for me. I try to make sure that there is always a fleece topped liner or a piece of fleece is always next to my bebe's bum. Mainly this will keep him dry but too the poop rolls off really easily!

Detergent - gotta be careful here! You only use a quarter cup for a load. Detergent can become the enemy : it can build up and cause the dipes to stink no matter how much you wash. I used Gain for about a week and did waht is called a strip wash - you run the dipes through w/out dtergent and if you see bubbles in the water, that is the detergent build up that causes your dipes to stink, you keep doing this until the bubbles go away - I saw a few bubbles and it took a couple of cycles to make them go away. I have been using Bio-Kleen w/ GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract - this'll get rid of everything!) and just for extra security and that fresh smell I put 4 to 6 drops of TTO (Tea Tree Oil) mixed w/ about a cup of water in the rinse spout. This has worked well for me I tried the srtip wash, just out of curiosity, after two weeks and NO BUBBLES. You really shouldn't need to do a strip was but about once a month for maintenance.

I haven't really addressed the diapers themselves, that you will find to be a personal preference.

I really hope that I have helped and not confused you too much!
#15 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 02:32 PM

For the newborn dipes I just dab at the poop with a wipe and throw them in the hamper. For my toddler, who has poop that often won't plop off, I use the showerhead to spray them into the toilet.
#16 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Can you come over?
Where are you located, you may have another mama in your area.

My first purchases were from bareware.com I got the Industrial Wrap (Frog print) and some snug to fit cloth diapers. Still use all of these, the diapers are thin and I only use them during the day and at home. But they are cheap, 7 bucks I think a dipe.

I go used a lot, and I mean A LOT. I only have a handful of things that were new to us. But its fun to buy used if you know what your getting, then you can try stuff.

I love my Fuzzi Bunz (pocket diapers) you stuff them with whatever you need, which makes them great for day or night time.
#17 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM

Oh yeah, about your other questions...not long ago I posted a thread that said "What is a soaker?" I'd always heard them discussed here and had no idea what they were. It's a kind of wool knit shorts that is worn over a prefold and soaks up wetness, I think.

A Snappi is a kind of diaper fastener, so you don't have to use pins.
#18 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM

I sew all of our diapers & wool soakers (these are diaper covers made of wool, and are what was used before there was such a thing as rubber/plastic pants) out of old clothes, so we get nifty-looking diapers that cost me next to nothing. I've made and used all types of diapers - flats, prefolds, fitteds, even a few AIO's, though I don't care for them much.

IMO, if you can sew, and need to save money, making your own dipes from scavenged materials is definitely the way to go.

BTW, I use pins more than a snappi, and flats (a big square of gauze - 1 layer - folded up) more than prefolds. Gerber pins from the grocery store & $1/yd gauze from Wal-mart work great for me.
#19 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Well, I was just going to come on here and suggest that you look at Stell's Diapering on the Cheap site, but she has already posted and given you some tips. Seriously, check out her site if you are looking for alternative, cheaper means to CD.

There ARE a lot of choices out there, and you won't really know what you want until you get it. And I did a lot of research during my last few months of pg with # 3. Just learn as much as you can, and you will feel good about your decisions.

Good luck!!!
#20 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 PM

I really think there should be a "getting started" subforum, like there is in the Breastfeeding forum. There is a lot in the Diapering forum I can't relate to as a "beginner." I think there's a difference between "Look at what I'm bidding on from eBay" and "What is an AIO?"
#21 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I wish there was a getting started outline or intro. It's like a foreign language the first time you look at the threads and ads. But I just asked for help and received lots of it so I am certainly not complaining too much. I had almost decided that it was beyond me and I'm still not sure if I will catch up though. Baby steps...
#22 of 22 Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM

I found this website really helpful, with a glossary and pictures.

http://kfegelman.home.comcast.net/index.htm

I found this really overwhelming at first as well - after reading alot though, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do and the different things to try. This forum is great for asking specific questions once you've read up on the basics.

Also, almost every site that sells cloth diapers has an FAQ section, plus a section on laundering, "why cloth" etc...also, alot of them sell packages for beginners (not necessarily for newborns only).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page