another laundering question-hard water and sulfur - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-01-2004, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine has an extreme amount of sulfur in her water. Like, when she does a load of laundry, the whole house smells strongly of it. She is doing a cold water rinse, then a hot wash and doing a presoak in some sort of cleaner (borax, I think), she uses vinegar in the final rinse and her dipes come out really stained. When I did a load over there I had the same problem and I do a hot rinse and hot wash and no presoak but still use the vinegar. also, when my ds peed in the dipe, it smelled like sulfur (yuck!). When it was time to wash dipes again, I washed them at home and all the stains came out (even the ones that had been through the dryer at her house). So I guess I am asking what she could do to get her dipes honestly clean. She uses a crunchy dry detergent she gets at Whole Foods-I can't remember the name. A laundry thread a while ago mentioned something about not using vinegar if you have hard water but it didn't elaborate. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-01-2004, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Her whole house smells like sulfur when she does laundry?! Has she ever had the city/county water people come out and test her water? That sounds dangerous.

nak

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#3 of 3 Old 08-01-2004, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she lives out in the boonies and has well water. the house is small w/an open floor plan too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page