Cloth diapers causing mobility problems? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this at another board I go to but this diaper board is much more active....

I am feeling a little bad right now, DS is wearing his first sposie since he was about 4 days old, we had some samples and we wanted to see which size fits best, since we are going on 2 vacations in the next couple months and neither time will a washer be handy (well the first vacation there will be one but it is TINY!, and the 2nd one we are going to Fl and Disney so really cloth isn't a great option) Anyway, it was a hard decision to make, since we have always used the cloth--- even when we went camping, but it jsut doesn't make sense for these 2 vacations. So Xander has always worn prefolds and covers. We tried Fuzzy bunz (size medium), but he pees out the leg hole, same with Happy Heineys and Wonderoos never fit him right. So he wears premium prefolds, a doubler and an infant prefold. Needless to say it is a BIG diaper. He is an extremely heavy wetter and we would be changing a hundred times a day if we didn't give him something with a big absorbancy (as it is we go through 10+ changes a day.) So anyway we put the sposie on and he ran into the living room and climbed up on the couch like it was nothing. Now this may seem like nothing for any other almost 20 month old, but he isn't a great climber... we just thought he wasn't but after watching him we realized that it is the difference in the diapers. He has less between his legs and has more mobility. I feel so bad. I just don't know what to do. Part of me wants to stop cloth diapering, and for me to say that, well lets just say it's a big thing.

I wouldn't mind changing his diaper a hundred times a day if it wasn't a battle everytime, it takes us FOREVER because he kicks and fights and screams. I hate fighting him like that, and for anyone who has used prefolds you know that they take a while to put on anyway. And add to that, when I fold them there is the diaper, the doubler and the infant prefold so it has to be held together. Then I snappi then I put the cover on.

Does anybody have any ideas for a diaper that is really absorbant, easy to put on, and is trim? (oh and not too $$$ would be nice ) I don't want to move to sposies, and neither does DH, but I am really upset about his more mobility with sposies.....

Edited to add: I guess I should mention he is about 25 pounds and 32.5-33 inches tall.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 AM

It sounds to me like you need some quick to change aplix AIO's that are super trim ... I'd say try a very baby AIO with an extra doubler.

I'll keep brainstorming and edit as I think of more (PG brain is slow tonight)!

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#3 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 AM

You could try some hemp fitted diapers, like Muttaqins. I find them to be very trim and absorbent.

#4 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandnl
We tried Fuzzy bunz (size medium), but he pees out the leg hole,
Edited to add: I guess I should mention he is about 25 pounds and 32.5-33 inches tall.
How long has it been since you tried a Fuzzi Bunz? My DS is 20 lbs and 33 inches and he fits in the Mediums and the PT's great. I can't imagine at 25 lbs the medium would be too big!
#5 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacdo10
How long has it been since you tried a Fuzzi Bunz? My DS is 20 lbs and 33 inches and he fits in the Mediums and the PT's great. I can't imagine at 25 lbs the medium would be too big!

We have 1 that we try off and on, and if it is laundry day and we are running low we use it, so I guess a couple weeks ago....

I have been researching this for hours now... what about Motherease one size with a cover? Trim? Good product?

#6 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:45 AM

If you over stuff a pocket diaper you will get leaks out the leg holes, what are you stuffing the fb with? You might want to move up to TOddler pfs and a doubler I would think it would be less bulky than a premium and infant with a doubler. Also have you stripped your diapers lately? Build up can cause diapers to be less absorbant.

I really like my Lucy's Hope Chest AIOs. They are very trim and absorbant. Its the diaper I reach for when ds has to wear tighter fitting pants.

Don't know about the motherease, never tried them.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#7 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 AM

I LOVE Baby Bloomrs AIOs!!!!! They are incredibly trim (my kids can wear blue jeans over them) and super absorbant!
#8 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 02:37 AM

My dd is a heavy wetter and hemp works really good for us. Motherease one size dipes are not super absorbent. You'd be changing him super often, even with doublers, unless you added an infant prefold and a doubler, but i dont know how trim that'd be.... I've been told that one size diapes arent really absorbent but i'm not sure as I've only tried motherease. You could try a happy hempy pocket fitted... sorry that i cant help you more...

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#9 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Banned

Hi, my son is a heavy wetter & i never liked prefolds due to the bulk issue. I found for pockets i use joey bunz or the happy heineys. They are still trim & absorbant. I have done motherease & they are ok with a joey bunz in them. I change my son 8-10 times a day. I like to change even if he isn't really wet. I hate the thought of him in a wet diaper. My daughter who i also cd is the same. About 8-10 a day. I use the same for her. Good luck...

heather wife to john :cop: , rebecca 7 , johnny downsyndrome 4 , : & Isabella 19 months , me always busy doing
#10 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 04:37 AM

pockets and aio's , gotta say we love um here! Although mostly I use fitteds coverless, and they are very trim in the crotch, and super easy to put on.

Try stripping you pocket diaper with a dab of dish detergent and HOT, super HOT water.

Also doesn't FB have a petite size for babies with skinny legs?

What stuffer were you using?

I'd contact Heather at http://www.zensicallife.com
Send her your details, she'll have some suggestions for you!

We used cloth on our trip over Christmas, and I'm soooooo glad I did!
#11 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 04:39 AM

I would suggest hemp all the way! Hemp is much trimmer (for the amount of absorbency) than the combo of prefolds etc. that you are using right now. Perhaps try some in your FB that you have or get a hemp fitted such as eeZi-folds or Sugar Peas (you could always add a hemp doubler if you find that you still need more absorbency) as they are quite trim and you could use the covers that you currently use. Motherease diapers are not very absorbent at all even with their 'doubler' so I wouldn't recommend them but they *might* be enough with a hemp doubler as well although I doubt it from the sounds of your super soaker!

HTH a bit! Good luck--don't get discouraged--once you find some good trim diapers that are absorbent enough you will be happy again!! I honestly don't know how I got along without hemp for so long with my son--he was a SUPER SUPER soaker like your kiddo and I was SO happy once I finally tried hemp--I never thought that he would be able to actually wear pants that were HIS size--not a size or two bigger and still stay dry!!!

Holly
#12 of 12 Old 01-31-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. We are sitll trying to decide what to do, I researched this forever last night. I looked at all the diapers you guys suggested. DH vetoed a lot of them because of price. He doesn't like the thought of paying more than $10 a diaper (hence why we went with prefolds in the beginning), I may be able to talk him into the Happy Hempy Fitted Pocket Diaper since it is $12 and only slightly over the $10 magic number.

I wouldn't mind changing him as amyn times a day as I do (10+) IF the diaper were quicker to get on. We spend 5-10 minutes per change, and we spend that kicking, squirming screaming and get frustrated. Usually I sing to him, play peek-a-boo, or give him something novel to play with, but he thinks it is so funny to kick his legs,. lift his bum, roll over, and lock his legs out straight... that is the worst... locking his legs you can't bend them for anything. (So I tickle him). I just hate the thought of this power struggle. I very much avoid power struggles with DS. I don't think that there is a need to do that. But when it comes to diapers-- he HAS to wear one, and as much as he thinks he can do everything himself, he can't put on his own diaper. he is very independent and I think it bugs him to be "restrained" (though he technically isn't restrained since we jsut put him on the changing table, we have never used the strap).

anyway, thanks for all your help.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page