need help with diapering newborn - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hi all! i'm cd'ing my first newborn, but am not liking what i'm seeing . hes 3 weeks and about 10 lbs. so he's not to chunky yet Anyways, i have tried using kissuluvs and proraps. i didn't even end up using the newborn proraps because the little cutout for the bellybutton ended up hurting that area (it would somehow rub against the bottom of it. so now that his button is healed, i'm using small proraps with kissuluvs 0's or cpf's. what i don't like is the kissuluvs and proraps leave marks on his thighs and the all inside the diaper area in general. so if i really tighten so avoid leaks he really gets marks and if i leave the diaper looser to kinda avoid the marks he leaks (breasfed poos all inside pjs) and if i use cpf's he pretty much gets the cover dirty everytime which i anticipated. so should i switch to bummis? do bummis covers not leave so many marks? or maybe pockets like FB? how are FB with leaving red marks? i had hoped to use cpf's at this stage (the size small stage) with covers to save some money then use pockets when he's a little older and doesn't want to stay still for long diaper changes anymore. what should i do? i really want to cd him from this small stage but keep going back to sposies when i see all the marks and leaks. maybe i should sposie him until he's a couple months old? i don't know... help please!!!

~Married to Hubby for 15 years~
Mama to 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and #6 due in May!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of marks? Are they like the marks your pants would leave on your waist or are they deeper grooves that you think are bothering him? I don't really like proraps but I'll use them in a pinch. Bummis sometimes leave mild marks. I really like bumkins vented covers for the really small stage. I don't wash my covers after every change unless there is poop on them. I just lay them near the changing area to air out and use them at the next change.
How are you folding your prefolds? I fold in thirds and fan out hte back. I don't fold the front down. The point where the trifold starts for the front creates a pocket for poop and helps stop leaks. I usually start using Bummis Super Whisper Wraps when my baby outgrows the Bumkins (around 10-12 lbs depending on butt size).
#3 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
How do you feel about wool? You could give the Nappy Pants toward the bottom of this page a try:

http://www.nordicwoollens.com/c188943.2.html

And how about putting a fitted diaper under them? Fitted diapers are better at containing poop than prefolds, and there are some pretty affordable ones out there.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!

#4 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Hmmm. I can't figure out how the Kissaluvs are leaving red marks unless you are making them too snug.

I would think that a well-fitting fitted diaper and a nice soft wool cover would end any red mark issues.

Don't know if I was much help....!
#5 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

well maybe the kissuluvs are just leaving "normal" marks that dont hurthim? he never has complained, so maybe it's just me wanting to see a completely smooth tushie? i guess i could just do the prefolds even though they leak more and have lots of bummis covers! i only change covers if they have poo too. i like the bikini twist for trimmnes with cpf's so maybe thats part of the problem. what about pockets?

Mama to 5

and #6 due in May!
#6 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 PM

I actually started off with pockets. My dd is almost 6 months and can still wear a lot of smalls, but she is pretty petite. I never really used prefolds...I couldn't get them snug enough on her, so she always leaked. I gave up on them after a week! Lol!
#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I was just glancing at "lisabc311"'s sig line and saw the kissaluvs contours on sale. Maybe that's an idea for ya. I mean, they are relatively cheap(like $6.95each before sales at most places) and you pin or snappi them on. They shouldn't leave red marks. Kinda like a prefold but easier. No folding.
Wool soakers probably wouldn't leave red marks like a cover would. You could also try wool instead of PUL covers.
I have to say that I REALLY like fuzzi bunz for my 4week old. Now she's just 7lbs and can fit into an xs so your babe would probably do well in a small and fb are so popular that you could sell them on the tp and get back probably pretty close to what you paid. Worthwhile in my opinion. nak
Meg

#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Oh yeah and you can use the prefolds you have to stuff the fb. Infant pf's work awesome. Great deal if you ask me!
Meg

#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info! if i wanted to exclusively use FB and want to wash every 3 days or so how many do you think i need? And for those of you who use them at night with newborns how many changes do you need during the night, or can you somehow manage to make one last thru the night already? Thanks!

Mama to 5

and #6 due in May!
#10 of 12 Old 02-07-2005, 01:39 AM

I just wanted to say that Kissaluv 0s(on the loosest snaps) and Nb Proraps both left red, purplish marks on my baby when she was a nb. I had to quit using both around 2 wks, and she was only around 9-10lbs at that time. I guess they just didn't fit her body type or something...chunky thighs and round belly. I ended up being the happiest with prefolds and Bummis. Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who had less than great experiences with Kissaluvs and Proraps.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#11 of 12 Old 02-07-2005, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

hmm, yup that sounds just like ds. problem is that i don't really want to deal with so many leaks with cpf's and bummis, if i don't have to. Does anyone know how many pockets i should accumulate?

Mama to 5

and #6 due in May!
#12 of 12 Old 02-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If you're using them exclusively and you only want to wash every 3 days or so, I'd say you need at least 36, which can get pricey with all-in-ones or pockets. I think you could save money if you got 36 fitteds and just 5 or 6 wool covers/soakers instead. You could also wash more often of course. Then you could get away with fewer diapers.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a 
, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years 
, who both 
-ed, who were both
-ed, and both 
.   Also, 
, and 
!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page