tips for washing dipes in an apt building? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been using diaper service for 2 years. In a few weeks we will be moving for a temporary job (3 months) to an area where there is no diaper service. We want to continue cloth diapering, so we'll need to wash them ourselves. We'll be living in an apartment building with a communal laundry room -- washers/dryers in individual apartments are not allowed.

Those who have done this, do you have any tips for me? I will need to ride the elevator with my diaper pail! And I will have to pay 75c per wash cycle. I have never washed diapers before, except as a child for my brothers and sisters, and we used to just run them through twice (once with soap and once without).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in an apartment building and use CDs. First off, if you look in the diapering archives, then there is a thread called "One hot Wash" or something like that. I know that a lot of mamas on this board do multiple cycles for their diapers, but for us, that wasn't an option at $1.00 a load. So, after reading that, then I realized that I can get my diapers clean with just one hot wash. That's all I do. Also, I use a dry pail lined with a Bummis tote, and just bring that down to the laundry room. It'll be too much if you have to bring a pail. I just throw the bummis tote in with the diapers. A mini-shower or a potty pail (I don't know much about that, you can check it out at diaperware.com) might help. Also, I use flushable liners to help keep my diapers cleaner. Lemme think if there's anything else I can tell you.... Nope. But if you do a search in the archives under "apartment" or "coin-op" or "laundromat" (sp?) then you might get some other suggestions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page