How many days worth diapers do you have / use? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 14 mos and I have probably about 4 days worth of diapers--pockets, fitteds and aios. I have this never ending guilt that becuase I have more diapers than I use in my 2-3 days between washings that I am being totally wasteful with money since we dont NEED that many....Also, we use primarily pockets so the fitteds and aios dont see much action unless the mood strikes me...
Please tell me other people have this many or more days worth and some justification so I can get rid of buyers remorse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM

I have right now
14 trim folds
15 prefitteds
9 fitteds
lots of wool
1 PUL cover
2 fleece covers
So that's about 3 days or so supply give or take.
I'm lookign to buy more wool and more fitteds!
#3 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Technically, I probably have about 4 days worth if you count the prefolds that I try not to use. For non-prefold stuff, I have about 2 days worth or a tad more. I'm hoping to get 3-4 days worth made (my name is Vera, and I'm a Diaper Making addict ). But time is limited, of course (and how do the WAHMs do it?!?!?).

How about you start utilizing some of the unused stash - try to rotate through everything, so the ones you like most are used half the time and thus will last twice as long? Really, a large stash helps your diapers last longer, since each one is used/washed less. And if you plan on more kids, that'd be a good excuse for having a large stash... you want the future kids to be able to wear them.

But you have to actually use the unused diapers for that. If you're not using them much, maybe sell them and replace them with diapers you will use more?

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in February '15

#4 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 PM

Let's see, I have:

24 regular prefolds that were used consistently with ds, but rarely now for dd
12 infant prefolds that I trifold in the shells of my AIOs sometimes
12 VB AIOs
2 Starbunz AIOs
18 Lucys Hope Chest AIOs

So, that is 68 diapers that we could technically use if needed. I would need a couple more covers to use over snappied prefolds if I needed to use them regularly. And, of course I have a handful of dipes and some wool just for overnight.

I have actually sold a bunch of stuff that I was not using lately. But, it only funded another LHC order. I do sometimes feel guilty about owning so many dipes. But, I love my VB AIOs for snug pants or for the church nursery and my inlaws to use. My favorites are my LHC AIOs and I actually had to stop myself from ordering more of those. So, if I were going to sell anything it would be the prefolds, but they are so inexpensive and versatile that I hate to get rid of them. And, I will use them for cleaning later. So, I have talked myself out of selling anything else until dd either PLs or outgrows these. Plus, she is my last to cd and my only girl, so I am just going to enjoy all of our pretty dipes and tell guilt to take a hike.
#5 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Too many, lol! In larges I think I've got enough to go about 2 weeks, roughly 90-100 diapers and 20 or so large covers... But, I have one in cloth full-time and a 3yo who still wears something at nap/nighttime, and they both wear the same size. I tend to accumulate the most in large sizes, since they seem to wear them forever! I don't have near that many nbs, smalls, and mediums. Also, we have 2 changing areas, so I try to keep both stocked. Way to justify the amount, right? Actually some of our stash is kept in dd's closet and could be used if needed, but I'm moreso hanging onto those for sentimental reasons(like our 2 doz Gerber dsq prefolds we started w/ 8yrs ago that I just can't part with!-actually used to be 4 doz until I gave 2 doz to a friend) or for the possibility of another baby someday... or even to share with another mama in need, like I've done a few times.

That's not too many then... right???

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#6 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 07:11 PM

I am new to Cd but here is what I have for 2 yr. old Ds

5 fitted Kissaluvs
8 fitted Molly Togs
6 Swaddlebees
4 FB
1 other pocket..don't know the name
4 pul covers
and I just got 2 wool soakers in the mail today...

This seems to last me around 3 days with a few to spare...

I have nowhere near some of your guy's stashes...WOW!!!
#7 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Too many.

DD is 18 months, and here's what I have:

24 infant prefolds that we use trifolded
24 premium prefolds that we use snappied

(to cover them: 2 handknit wool, 9 nylon pants, and 6 wrap-style)

5 AIO's
9 pocket diapers of various types and the inserts for them

That's 62 diapers. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD only goes through about 8 diapers a day, so technically I could go more than a week without washing. They'd stink to high heaven a long time before a week was out!

In reality, I don't have enough covers to go more than 3 days, because the nylon stinks if you reuse it, and the pail is usually full in 2 or 2 1/2 days, so I usually wash about every second day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM

In the current rotation, we have
12 infant prefolds
12 regular prefolds
7 fitteds
3 Bummis covers
7 wool soakers
6 prs wool pants (all wool knit by me)
15 FB for daycare and overnight

I wash every 3 days
#9 of 32 Old 02-27-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

THanks mamas I feel much better. I agree that having a larger rotation helps the diapers last longer and since DS is my first, its good to keep them in great shape for the next.
My thing I think really is that I love trying new ones. I am constantly selling and re buying. I go through phases like where I will only use FBs then will try a new fitted and love them and then use them more. I guess variety is the spice of life right?! I would love to simplify and use only pockets or whatever but I think I would get bored.
I am going to sell off what I am not CRAZY about and then only buy what I really really like from now on-so I love everything I have instead of having stuff sit around unused. I will also put the newly clean diapers in teh back of the drawer so I use the ones that didnt get used last wash cycle first.
#10 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5
Too many, lol! In larges I think I've got enough to go about 2 weeks, roughly 90-100 diapers and 20 or so large covers... But, I have one in cloth full-time and a 3yo who still wears something at nap/nighttime, and they both wear the same size. I tend to accumulate the most in large sizes, since they seem to wear them forever! I don't have near that many nbs, smalls, and mediums. Also, we have 2 changing areas, so I try to keep both stocked. Way to justify the amount, right? Actually some of our stash is kept in dd's closet and could be used if needed, but I'm moreso hanging onto those for sentimental reasons(like our 2 doz Gerber dsq prefolds we started w/ 8yrs ago that I just can't part with!-actually used to be 4 doz until I gave 2 doz to a friend) or for the possibility of another baby someday... or even to share with another mama in need, like I've done a few times.

That's not too many then... right???
not to many at all buy more buy more.

I also Love LUCYS HOPE CHEST!
I would have a whole stash of them for dd#3 if money were no object and I am not even prego with dd #3 yet. I will not even count how many diapers I have because that would mean I would have to admit I have a problem.. So if I don't count them I just know I need to buy more because I NEED cute diapers. LOL: flipped
#11 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 04:17 AM

Honestly I could probably go close to a week without washing if needed but I wash when my pail is full usually every 2-3 days. I have an assortment of pockets, aio's, prefolds, fitted and a few flats and I like having a variety so I can use whatever works best at the time. I just rotate them somewhat. I'll go days using pockets only then decide to use prefolds for a while. They don't wear out as quickly and I get bored of using the same ones over and over again. I look at it as an investment. I can always sell what I'm not using or doesn't fit anymore to make money. My only problem is when I do that then I spend the paypal on yet more dipes!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM

I have about 90 diapers. and i wash about every other day tops!
I just rotate most of them so one set of dipes isnt getting used to much. Helps the dipes last longer!
#13 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickidaWitch
I have about 90 diapers. and i was about every other day tops!
I just rotate most of them so one set of dipes isnt getting used to much. Helps the dipes last longer!

I feel much better now! LOL!

Ok ladies, I just bought two LHCs!!!
#14 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelfnrach

I feel much better now! LOL!

Ok ladies, I just bought two LHCs!!!
Glad I could make you feel better.
#15 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 PM

I have 28 diapers between 2 kids, but I have only fuzzi bunz, bum genius, and rumpsters, so it would be too expensive for me to buy more for each. Plus, I'm hoping that ds1 will potty training one of these years.

Aren't I frugal? But oh wait, I'm not. I'm an idiot, because I ordered my FB from a site that didn't give free inserts, and even though it was fabulous service, I really should have figured out in all my web surfing that other websites have free shipping and inserts included. So I managed to spend extra money I didn't need to anyway! Yay! And then I ordered more and did it again because I forgot. I supported a great store, but I could have really saved a decent amount. so even those of us with smaller stashes have managed to spend too much.

But why is it addictive though? Now I want to check out Bumpkins AIOs, but really I don't need more because I wash every other day or every day and have already spent too much. I don't think I'll save money on disposables for a good five months.
#16 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad I could make you feel better.
LOL!
I just bought another friggen diaper........argh!!! lol
#17 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelfnrach
LOL!
I just bought another friggen diaper........argh!!! lol

what are ya buying?
#18 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

what are ya buying?
lastnight after selling a bunch of stuff I dont use, I bought 2 LHC Aios (one cute fireman and doggie print and one fish print becasue my son loves doggies and fish right now)and some of her ov/sherpa wipes.
Then tonite I saw that muttaqin baby was having a sale so I bought a star and moon print ss fitted. Mind you, we barely use fitteds but when I think they are super cute and 15% off my fingers have a mind of their own! Lol!

ohh..ETA..I just got a SOS last week in her stocking too...its really a sickness.

I really am going to just get rid of what I dont LOVE in terms of cuteness/squishiness (like ov fitteds) or love in terms of function (ie. FBs for being the most reliable for us) and replace with stuff I do--so every diaper change is pleasurable, lol!!
#19 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I did but I sold the fitteds and put away some of the smaller pockets. I HATE having stuff laying around that I don't use. Now we have prefolds for when all of the pockets are dirty but the diaper pail usually gets filled up before that happens so I have to wash. Now that she is older she doesn't pee as often so I don't have to change her as often. I probably have around twenty something (close to thirty) fitteds.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#20 of 32 Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had enough to go a week. I ususlly didn't go that long but ust in case something came up and i couldn't wash pr dry or whatever.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 32 Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 AM

Oh man, I have too many too! I have a whole box full of prefolds, that get used seldomly. But in my current rotation, I'm a bit better...

*8 Swaddlebees
*4-5 AIOs
*4 fitteds
*and a bunch of wool that gets used mostly at nap/night time!

I definitely dont think you should feel bad
#22 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 01:56 AM

I wash every 3 days and still have about a dozen fitteds or prefolds left. I tend to use up my favorite fitteds with wool longies for 2 days then I start to use my wool or fleece covers over prefolds or fitteds. I use pockets at night. I think it is ok to have extra diapers If you share them with the less fortunate diaper lovers out there! LOL! then you can make room for new ones!

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#23 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 02:47 AM

I have about 4 days worth. I have always kept a stash of at least 24 dipes so that I don't have to wash too often. I only wash every 3-4 days though, but I do rinse out the poop with a minishower.
#24 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 03:44 AM

I have about a week's worth (mostly prefolds), but I wash every 2 days or so when my pail gets full.
#25 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 04:00 AM

I have a (nearly) 5mo old girl and we have 2doz CPFs, 6 BSWWs, 6 FBs, 2 Wonderoos, and 9 SB. The pockets I use mostly for nap/night. I will take the SBs with me when we are out and about, but when DD goes to grammy's for tending then she is in sposies. The grandparents just seem more comfy with that at the moment. I just may spring the SBs on them one day, you never know!

Oh and I wash every other day or so.
#26 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 AM

I had about 40 diapers that we used plus about 20 more that were just there for extras, in case.

I like to have enough to be able to go a few days w/ out washing
#27 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM

Hm. I'd say we have about 3-4 days worth..
#28 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have 16 diapers, which is less than a full day's worth. Yes, we change him VERY often. I wash diapers every day, sometimes twice a day. I think we have more on the way from diaper fairies, and hopefully they will be here soon, because 5 of those 16 are technically too small and we can't not use them because we need them! We do have some prefolds but they're either too small or too too big. Though in desperation I have wrapped a sock around a prefold to keep it on!
#29 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 PM

We have about 4ish+ days worth of diapers for (28mo) ds. He stays well hydrated.
18 AIO's, 2 pockets for night (although I wish I had 2 more), 28 premium prefolds, plus another dozen premiums I got to have on hand for me and the baby because ds's are starting to get a bit worn. And assorted PUL and wool soakers/longies.
I'll have half the diapers in the washer/dryer, leave them in the dryer for a day or two and go through the rest. There are some days where I just don't want to go near the laundry room, no matter what's in the machines.

I don't have as many for the baby though, because I figure we'll be washing every day or so, and I have no clue exactly what the babe's body type will be.

If you plan to take any 3-4 day road trips though, the number of diapers sure comes in handy.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#30 of 32 Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM

I like to have a simple stash, even though I've tried just about everything to find out what I like. So, not counting the stuff that's in a box to sell, or that is being saved for Galen to grow into:

nearly 3yo DS has:
for daytime/daycare, 15 sposies left and has told us he's going to use the potty when they're all gone
for nighttime, 1 ME toddle-ease fitted with doubler + bummis whisper pants & 1 snap-ez pocket trainer on order

2 mo old DS has:
for daytime, 13 ME Sandys & 4 Litewraps
for nighttime, 1 knickernappies disposanot night, 1 darling diapers pocket fitted, & 2 pairs of wool longies

I wash every night. When G starts daycare next month, his daytime stash will change to pockets (~12).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page