Another question - cloth diapers causing a rash? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 12-07-2006, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby has a lot of sensitivities and has very sensitive skin. Since we have switched her to cloth she has had a constant rash. Why is this? Does she need some kind of stay dry barrier so she doesn't have pee on her skin the same way. Can cloth diapers actually CAUSE a rash.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 12:43 AM

We just started 12 month old DD on cloth last week, and we have the same problem. I let her go naked a lot, but its not cleared up yet. I have the same question! We use pockets and AIOs, BumGenius orig and 2.0, Swadlebees, and Happy Heinys. To all you experienced mamas, what is our problem? Do the babies just have to get used to it? DD doesn't usually have sensitive skin, and we only use a 1/2 T of Charlie's, 2 cold rinses. Help us!

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#3 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I was just coming on here to post the same question. My dd is almost 13 months and been using cloth for about 2-1/2 weeks and when we put cloth on her she gets a horrible rash! But it goes away when dh puts a sposie on her. We have swaddlebees velour, terry, and aio, bum genius, bella bottoms, and jam tots berry blush. What can I do? I really want to continue using cloth!

#4 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 AM

I'm really curious about replies to this. We cd'ed my son from the time he was about 4 mos to 1 1/2+ but he had a lot of rashes. I finally stopped b/c we just couldn't stop the rash and we switched to disposables. He never got a rash again.

We're just now trying to switch to cds with my daughter. I'm REALLY hoping the same thing doesn't happen again.
#5 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM

A lot of things can cause a rash, so there's no way to pinpoint the cause from a cyber-perspective, but MOST diaper rash is due to urine contact on the skin. For babies who are in cloth from the beginning, their skin is accustomed to it. When you switch, there is likely more contact with urine, and the skin needs a little adjustment time. Take the switch slowly, alternate diapers, give a lot of air time, and you should see an improvement as they adjust. Most kids who switch, in my experience, react a little to the change (including switching the other way, from cloth to disposables). If you aren't using synthetic diapers, a barrier cream is great. (creams love synthetic fabrics and you probably know they can stick and cause repelling on those)

And since you guys are on this board, you're probably a lot more aware of how detergent residues can stay in diapers, but I also see that sometimes - kids have rashes, and then I get to smell the "spring rain fresh" diapers, full of detergent.

Northwoods, your baby had over a year, so perhaps that blows my theory. Perhaps it was something else. But let us know how things go with your daughter!
#6 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Here's my two cents worth, although I don't have nearly the experience of the other moms. We CD'd DS (12 months now) since 1 month old. He did great in prefolds and BSWW until about 3 or 3 1/2 months, then had a terrible rash that took forever to clear. (about a month). We think it was related to eczema because air time actually made it worse, and after all night in the same pocket diaper his skin would be nearly new again. Then frequent changes of prefolds during the day, and lots of air time, and it would get worse and worse.

The solution for us WAS the stay dry fabrics, either microfleece or suedecloth next to the skin. He has been rash free the last 8 months. Every now and then I try him in a prefold again, and as soon as he gets wet, he starts to get rashy again, even if I change him immediately.

Not sure if that will help with your problem, but its worth a try. I sew stuffable fitteds with the stay dry liner so I still use those prefolds.

So miserable when you can't find the solution. I hope you can figure it out.
#7 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Urine contact with the skin can and does cause rash. That's why it is so important to check/change cloth diapers often (like every 1-3 hours). They need to be changed (even in pockets) as soon as they are wet. I'm not saying you all are not doing this already, but some people really don't know about checking and changing frequently so I just wnated to mention that.

A stay dry liner like microfleece or suedecloth could help with rashes so baby's skin is not sitting up against urine for any amount of time. Some babies do have an allergic reaction to microfleece, which makes suedecloth a better choice.

And as someone mentioned already, detergent/bacteria build-up can cause stink and rashes. Micro-fleece is prone to detergent build-up, but a good wash routine and stripping your dipes should help. And a highly recommend stripping diapers with RLR. I find it works so much better then a squirt of dawn. Here is some info on RLR if anyone is curious....it's safe for Pockets and PUL:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...basics.htm#RLR
https://moiras.site5.com/~zannaduc/s...97&cat=0&page=

Also, PUL is not very breathable. So sometimes wearing PUL all the time/for a long amount of time can cause rash because the skin is not getting any air circulation. Try giving lots of time to air out if you do mostly PUL diapers or covers. I use all wool because it is a natural and breathable fiber for diaper covers. Fleece covers and diapers are breathable also.

A good way to clear up some diaper rashes is this:
Lots of air time.
Alternate using a zinc oxide rash cream and blotting on Milk of Magnesia at ever change. My ped recommended alternating these two and it really helped dry out the rash and clear it up.
Also, add baking soda to babies bath and let them soak in the bathtub. Baking Soda helps dry out the rash, neutralize the ph in their skin (urine is acidic), and clear up the rash.

Hope this helps.
#8 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM

If you are having problems with rash in cloth it is probably one of two things (mentioned above). Sensitive to detergent buildup in the cloth (any detergent can do this) and/or bacterial build-up in dipes.

I would suggest switching detergent and using a bit of bleach. Stay-dry liners/inners will not always help since they are polyester, and face it, do you like to wear 100% poly underwear? Poly has a real problem with getting buildup of detergent on it, thus possibly causing more rashes... Plus it does not breathe as well as cotton and gets sweaty and stinky...

Cloth should not cause rashes if properly washed (often and well) and you find a detergent that does not build up. My ds wears cotton lined dipes all night, and through several pees during the day (yes, he runs around in a wet diaper often!) and he never gets rash now that I use the proper detergent and an occasional bleaching to kill all bacteria.

I have to confess that before I found a system that worked for me (all cotton, bleach, Sun detergent added to first wash) I found I NEVER had rashes in sposies, but often did in cloth. That is why I blame detergent and bacteria.
#9 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM

The only rash we've had in cloth came from improper washing which left soap residue. (I can talk til I'm blue in the face but some people just don't get it...) Try stipping them and see if that helps. If so, make sure there are no more bubbles in the rinse cycle.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#10 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlebugzlovey View Post
Urine contact with the skin can and does cause rash. That's why it is so important to check/change cloth diapers often (like every 1-3 hours). They need to be changed (even in pockets) as soon as they are wet. I'm not saying you all are not doing this already, but some people really don't know about checking and changing frequently so I just wnated to mention that.

A stay dry liner like microfleece or suedecloth could help with rashes so baby's skin is not sitting up against urine for any amount of time.
:

If you think about it, a disposable pulls moisture into the gel, keeping the baby "dry." That's why babies can go through 3-5 pees before the diaper even "feels" wet and needs to be changed. With cloth, especially something like prefolds, the fabric absorbs but doesn't keep baby dry in the same way. When we switched I was fanatical (sometimes still am) about checking Abby every 20 minutes. I changed her after EVERY single pee, and she did ok. Any time we went out and at night, I put a fleece liner between her and the prefold so that her skin would not stay wet. Between changes I would wipe her really well to get all of the urine off and pat her dry before putting on a new prefold.

Now, she is fine to have a wet diaper on her bum, as she has acclimated to the acidity of her urine, but she only had a rash when the day care put her in a disposable and didn't change her for 2 hours.

For us, cloth was the ANSWER to persistant diaper rash, even our pediatrician recommended we switch.

:
#11 of 19 Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM

Thank you everyone, for all your help! I will try washing the diapers differently! And I will try a liner too. Today the doctor at the 12 month well-baby check-up said, Oh cool, cloth diapers have velcro now! I guess not too many people here in the middle of nowhere CD, if he had never seen and AIO before!! I don't know anyone else that CDs.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#12 of 19 Old 12-11-2006, 02:39 PM

In washing our CD's, I do a rinse with vinegar, then another cold rinse. I didn't always, this is when rashes would develop. I think this helps to restore the PH--neutralize any acid left. I also add baking soda to the wash. I think both the baking soda & vinegar restore a neutral PH. My eldest DD in diapers only wears at night. I put a fleece liner nearest her skin--this helps. My problem now is that she is outgrowing all the CD items I have. She just turned 4. She is perfectly trained during the day, but is a very, very heavy wetter--and sleeper at night. Does anyone have any suggestions? DH thinks we should buy the disposables for overnight use for her--I'd rather keep in her in some sort of cloth. I don't think she will grow out of this soon. She is petite--only about 30-35 lbs and wears a size 6. She is just too big for the covers I have been using. I haven't tried any of the specific big kid night-time products. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Blessings!
Hillary
#13 of 19 Old 12-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Our DD rashed in cloth if she was in anything but a wool cover, we ended up using prefolds and Bumpy wool wraps. We also put some GSE in with the wash in case there was any yeast issues going on, maybe 10 drops per load, the big bottle lasts forever. And we changed ASAP anytime she wet, seriously every 1 - 3 hours . HTH!
#14 of 19 Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 PM

DS has been CD'd since 1 month old. He had a terrible yeast rash for about 3 months (I didn't realize it was yeast until probably 2 1/2 months into it) from being wet. I changed him often, but it still wouldn't go away. So I made him a bunch of pockets with suedecloth inners, and it has helped tremendously. Also, I did end up using some Nystatin (Rx yeast cream) on him, but after a tube of it not really helping, the doc suggested hydrocortisone, which cleared it right up. Now as long as I use the stay-dry diapers, he stays rash free, even after all night long. If I use a regular fitted, I always put a fleece liner in it, and if the rash does come back, I just put a little of the hydrocortisone on it and it gets better right away!
#15 of 19 Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Still have rash problems and I know its not soap buildup because the diapers were new. I have decided to sell them off and switch to Fuzzi Bunz. I would rather she feel dry from the fleece barrier.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#16 of 19 Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM

My son actually got a terrible rash from his diapers until we figured out that he was alergic to the synthetic fibers! 100% cotton and hemp were the only diapers he could use so all of the fleece and cute prints I'd bought in the beginning had to be put away for his future sisters!
julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
My baby has a lot of sensitivities and has very sensitive skin. Since we have switched her to cloth she has had a constant rash. Why is this? Does she need some kind of stay dry barrier so she doesn't have pee on her skin the same way. Can cloth diapers actually CAUSE a rash.
#17 of 19 Old 12-18-2006, 01:14 PM

I started putting a few drops of baby oil in my wipe solution, and that seemed to end any redness and make my son more comfortable.
#18 of 19 Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM

My dd has terribly sensitive skin, too (one of the main reasons we switched to cloth) and she did best and had the least rashes when I put her in all-cotton dipes with a microfleece liner (to keep her dry-feeling) and a wool cover (to keep her little bum cool). PUL or other synthetic covers or AIO's seemed to irritate her just a bit, or maybe they just didn't let enough air in...I dunno.

Just my 2 cents.
#19 of 19 Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM

We've been CD-ing since October and have been battling rashes since then. Maybe I need to try bleach? Right now, I pre-wash w/ baking soda, wash in a little bit of Allen's, and rinse in vinegar. I have been dishwasher stripping about once a month and I almost always keep a microfleece liner in the dipe. Every time she start to break out in a rash, it's a different type of rash: Sometimes it's pimple-like, sometimes it's just a red bum, sometimes it's raw and oozy like a burn. I don't get it! :

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page