Just switched to cloth diapers and trying to figure out what is causing diaper rash - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have only been using them for a week or so and still use a disposable at night and sometimes for outings (but am getting away from that if I could figure something out for nightime that won't leak). My dd has developed a little rash on her bottom and also on her thighs. We use happy heiny's most of the time and sometimes fuzzi bunz. I wash with vinegar in a downy ball and tide. I have started changing her more often, but the rash is still flaring up. It seems worse when we put a disposable on which doesn't make sense to me b/c she used to always wear those. Any thoughts on what could be causing it? Also what is a detergent I can use for really sensitive skin? I am very new at this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM

No question Tide. It's SO HARD to get Tide to actually wash out- even with 1 or 2 TBSP of Tide Free it would take my washer 4-6 entire cycles to get it out. I would suggest stripping them- there's a bunch of different strip methods- anything from Dawn to using the dishwasher. Then maybe make a detergent switch to Allens or I've heard Purex F&C works for lots of people. Does the rash look like spots or a burn? If it's more like a burn then it's way too much detergent- if they're like mini-flea-bite type spots then it's more likely a sensitivity issue. HTH, I'm sure you'll get more responses Hang in there, it takes a bit to get your wash cycle down- hard and soft water also make a difference.
#3 of 10 Old 05-20-2007, 11:21 PM

I use ceramic laundry balls on my cd. They seem to work really well but I am also fairly new to the cd scene. I ordered the laundry balls from Urban Homemakers.

#4 of 10 Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM

It could be the detergent. Also, do you do an extra rinse at the end? I use Sun detergent (not much, you really don't need very much detergent to get your dipes clean) and a little bit of baking soda. We use a downy ball with vinegar as well with an extra rinse. Before we used this system my dd was in the same boat. Now we have absolutly no more rash problems.
#5 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 AM

Charlie's Soap is awesome for CDs. Very gentle and all-natural, but cleans great! We have never had a rash using Charlie's. Also, stripping the diapers sounds like it could help, especially if they were used when you started using them.

Also, lots of kids are sensitive to synthetic dipes--FBs, HHs, etc. because they don't breathe as well as cotton. In hot weather, they can be Rash Central! We used FBs for a few days last summer and DS instantaneously got his first rash ever. We switched back to cotton fitteds with wool covers and he has never had a rash since... You may want/need to try a cotton fitted with a breathable cover, like wool, if you suspect this may be the problem.
#6 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I thought it might be the tide too. I am washing them w/a squirt of dawn now and then I will switch detergents. The website where I bought them says not to use free and clear detergents b/c they leave a residue on the fleece...what about arm and hammer essentials would that work?? This is so confusing. My laundry is not getting done at all while these diapers have gone through about 100 cycles in a week: I want to try a wool cover and cotton (or hemp?) prefold, but at this point I hate to (and really can't) spend anymore money. I will probably get one set though for nightime to start.
#7 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM

I wash the diapers with Arm & hammer Super Washing Soda and a squirt of Dawn dish soap. I've never had problems with build up or smell with this formula.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#8 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Taking notes,we have been cding for about 6 weeks and now have a rash like burn,or it could be that my mother let dd drink a whole juice box yesterday.:

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#9 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

My son gets rashes on his thighs that seem to be caused by friction from his very excited kicking. Is your little one just starting to get active or maybe just learning to crawl or walk? Friction rashes were driving me nuts and I thought it was the diapers at first.

I do agree with previous posters that Tide isn't the best for CDs. I used it for awhile but it seemed that the enzymes in it were irritating my son. I'm using Mountain Green detergent now. It's a bit pricey, but one bottle lasts a long time and it's *perfect* for diaper wash.
#10 of 10 Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
Taking notes,we have been cding for about 6 weeks and now have a rash like burn,or it could be that my mother let dd drink a whole juice box yesterday.:
My DD gets a horrible rash from juice too. I gave her some apple juice the other day and for 2 days we were in pretty much nothing but cotton fitteds w/ no covers for it to go away. (we dont get out much) That really seems to help us btw, in curing rashes. Using a cotton or hemp prefitted w/ no cover...probably because it encourages us to change her asap when she wets.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page