what comes after infant sized prefolds? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how long did your dc wear infant sized prefolds and what's the next step? my dd seems to be outgrowing her infant sized prefolds at 3 months, but only because the snappi seems a little tight on her little tummy (i did a good stretchin' on the snappi too). So, I ordered the rainbow short prefolds from GreenMtn, but they are HUGE in comparison! I thought ordering the "short" size for the extra cost would make for a better fit, but...not so much.

Does anyone know of some smaller, trimmer but still absorbant pf options out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM

The next size up from infant is Premium or Regular. They are the same demensions but Regular has 6 middle layers, Premium has 8 middle layers, so Regulars are less bulky and may be a better choice for transitioning out of infant size. Rainbow shorts are Premiums that are trimmed. If it's just the bulk that is the problem, Regulars might work better for you. For the length, have you tried folding some down in front or back to make them smaller? I don't know any prefolds bigger than Infant but less wide than 14.5". But maybe you can try the large size hemp prefolds. They are the same demensions as Regular and Premium but MUCH less bulky because they don't quilt up and have only 2X3X2 layers. http://www.thanksmama.com/Hemp_Fleec..._p/bks-004.htm
Or another option is flat diapers, you have more control over the size with a flat diaper. Or another option would be contours but of course they are more $$$: http://tinytush.com/tiny_tush_contour_cloth_diapers.htm

Oh I wanted to add that 3 months is about the same time my kids outgrew infant PF.

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 02:08 PM

My babe wore infants until 5 months--almost up to 15 lbs. I find that I like the regular (4x6x4) better as they are less bulky.

My dd is 10 months now and 18+lbs and I'm just able to stop folding them over (she's long, though). But even with the back folded over an inch or two, they aren't too bulky.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the rainbow shorts are great (and you were lucky to get them--they're gone now!), but they would have been too big at 3 months, I think (I got them at nearly 5 months). How are you folding your PFs? Maybe you could try a different fold.

The rainbows, btw, are not just trimmed premiums--they were heavier weight twill, so the overall weight of the diaper was almost as much as that of a premium.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#5 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM

The length jump in CPF from infant to regular or premium is just ridiculous. I don't know why they don't have a size in between the two.
#6 of 6 Old 08-06-2007, 04:49 PM

Our snappi is too tight as well. I'm going to get a longer snappi (the toddler snappi).

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page