Cloth Diapers vs Cloth Trainers - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What's the difference? Are trainers just less absorbant? When should you switch from diapers to trainers?

DD is 19-almost-20 months and we've been working gently on PT for a month or two, but she doesn't usually tell us when she's wet. Which is weird, because if she gets water on any other part of her, she freaks out and makes us dry her off.

It would be wrong at this point to buy her some Blueberry Minky Trainers just because they're cute and fluffy, right? :

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the Hanna training pants are nice. i use them in combo with EC and CD with dd. they are not really fluffy and won't absord a whole pee for an older kid, most likely but it seems that when kids feel they are wet that it helps them to be concious of the fact that they peed. I think you are at a point where you can switch over at least part time.

::
#3 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 AM

In general they are less absorbant than a CPF. For DD, her Mother of Eden trainers would hold a squirt of pee if she started to go, and then stopped herself and finished it in the potty. Or it would hold a small pee in it's entirety. But an entire big pee would leak out the sides if I didn't put in a soaker pad in there to help with the absorbancy.

Which is what I did for a while after we got her out of CPFs. Panties in the day, trainers at night with a soaker pad laid in it. Then panties in the day and trainers at night with no soaker pad. Then panties all round the clock.

A.

#4 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM

they're definitely less absorbent than most regular CD's. the main difference is the ease with which you can pull them up and down. i was almost exclusively using snappi'd CPF's when we made the switch, and i switched because it was a pain to undo everything every time i wanted to offer the potty when we were out (at that point it was mostly nakey butt at home, as we EC). and i also felt that when my kids were using the potty pretty regularly at home and used to being nakey a lot, the bulk of a CD was causing discomfort for them, so that was the other reason why i switched - trainers are much more trim fitting.
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM

Trainers can be pulled up and down, and generally they are trimmer and less absorbent than CDs.

... but those Blueberry Minky trainers are the most absorbent ones I've tried, so if you're gonna start her in trainers early, go with those. Lousy customer service but the product is very nice.
Watch out - if she likes the trainers more than the diapers she may refuse to wear diapers, and you'll have lots of leaks.
#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
... but those Blueberry Minky trainers are the most absorbent ones I've tried, so if you're gonna start her in trainers early, go with those.
I'll have to keep that in mind.

Though that said, the pull-down vs take-off aspect is probably something to consider, too. I bet she wouldn't like having trainers still halfway on. I've been thinking of trying a different potty chair because I think the one she has now is a tab too tall for her, and she'd be happier if her feet were more firmly on the ground. Maybe she'd feel better with pants at her ankles then.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page