AIO's vs Pockets for cloth diaper newbies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-28-2003, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dad has agreed to watch DS when I go back to work in November. My Mom will be there 1/2 time when she's not working. DS will be a year old then. I really don't want to convert back to sposies, but I know that I don't want to add any more hassle because I really want this to work (Dad is awesome with him, but hasn't really changed him or done any of that yet). I'm thinking that even my ME OS with hemp doublers and covers would be a bit much for him.

I like the idea of AIO's because there is really nothing to think about, but am leary of the claims that they're hard to get really clean and take forever to dry. Pocket diapers would go there stuffed already, but would need to unstuffed, and are more expensive.

Does anyone have some wisdom for me? I've tried both HH and FBs and can't decide which I like best yet, and I've never tried and AIO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM

Pocket diapers are brilliant I think - as long as you prestuff them they are an all in one, and even if you dont, well its hardly difficult and doesnt require great dexterity. You dont even need to ask anyone to unstuff them when they're taken off, you can do that as you empty your diaper bag at the end of the day.

They get really clean because they come apart for washing. And because you can customise the stuffing, you dont need special diapers for different occasions, I just use one joeybunz during the day and two at night.

But the type of all in one with a snap in soaker would be just as good.

My experience of true all in ones (things like Kushies or Bumkins) in the past has been that the outer deteriorates because it cant keep up with the treatment you need to give the inner to keep it clean and hygenic and to get it dry. So even though they're a bit cheaper, if you're using them daily and washing that often, you may not even get six months use out of them.
#3 of 7 Old 07-28-2003, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're concerned about AIOs getting clean, I would get the quick dry kind, where the soaker snaps out. Nearly every WAHM makes them (or will make them on request) now, and I've found that they're the easiest for new people.

#4 of 7 Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 PM

Whenever dd goes to the babysitter or grandma's I always send Happy Heiny's. I prestuff them and just pull the dirty stuffers out before I put them in the pail at home. This way, grandma or the babysitter doesn't have to do a thing beyond what they would do with a disposable. Just put the dirty diaper in the wetbag instead of the trash. I find that they are much less "confused" by the simple velcro closures and it is the easiest for them to use.
#5 of 7 Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 AM

I vote for a pocket diaper.

If you have several pocket dipes, let your dad try some diaper changing to see what he prefers. Don't just guess! That'll be one less thing for both of you to stress over.

I wouldn't bother him with unstuffing if he doesn't want to do it. You can separate it all out at home later. After all, having family watch your kid is more important than the dipes!
#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2003, 01:45 AM

I haven't tried pocket diapes yet, but AIO's are pretty easy. I started out using only AIO's. Now I leave them with DH whenver I go out (He's not too CD-friendly yet). He's a big fan of the bumkins AIO's. :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 AM

Pocket diapers get cleaner, you can adjust the pee absorbing power, Many diff kinds available...... Cons are that they do leak at times, more steps to them, worry with repelling or stinky fleece.....

Traditional AIOs are easy. No harder then a disposable. Harder to clean, wear out faster (some), take longer to dry (not the quick dry ones)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page