Mothering Forum banner

I need help, PLEASE? Killing yeast in diapers?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  MamaRainebeau 
#1 ·
I have been using Fuzzi Bunz primarily, and prefolds secondarily. My son last week had a terrible rash which turned yeasty. For over a week I tried to do away with it. He was naked most of the day and slept in a prefold with no cover to allow breathing, but still it got worse. He was miserable. Finally we broke down and bought a small packet of disposables and smothered him in ointment with a tiny bit of yeast-infection medicine. It went away in two days. The problem? Now I am unsure of how to treat his diapers. Will the yeast infection return if I don't completely kill it from his diapers? How can I be sure it's gone? I'm about to run out of the 'sposies (thank God) and I need to know what to do. TIA.

#2 ·
No advice? How do you treat diapers after a yeast infection to kill it?

#3 ·
I used to suffer from horrible recurrent YIs...my urologist suggested microwaving my panties for 30 seconds before I wore them to kill the yeast. Might this work on diapers as well?

#9 ·
Thanks so much! I will try bleaching and boiling them both if it will kill the stuff!

#12 ·
I had the same problem and used approx. 1/4 cup of bleach with my fuzzibunz. It worked great. It did not discolor them at all. I think it will discolor them if you go over board and use too much bleach though.

#13 ·
I am not a fan of bleach on cloth dipes at all. I had a similar problem with my dd and ds (both in cloth, both came down with yeasty rashes and gave me thrush at the same time - NOT fun!) What really woked well and quickly without resorting to bleach (and also was used medicinally on the rashes) was Grapefruit seed extract. I added it to my wash loads every time I washed until the rash went away ( a few days) and also made a very weak solution that is used to wash the rashy areas every diaper change. No need for steroidal creams, bleach, etc. You can ususally find GSE on ebay cheapest. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.