Anyone else feel funny about using used dipes? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know a lot of you purchase used dipes off of ebay, etc, and this is not meant in ANY way to insult or offend you...

I just personally feel weird about the idea of buying used dipes. The cost savings is appealing, yes, but... I feel like I wouldn't buy used underwear for myself... I would feel weird buying used diapers for my baby!

Am I a snob? Does anyone else feel this way?

Again, I am NOT meaning to insult or offend anyone here.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:09 PM

I have only bought a used dipe once, and it was from a dear friend whose child had only worn it once.

I often feel very much like you do! I do toy with the idea, as they are a good deal, but then I always think to myself your exact thought! I don't buy used panties for myself, so I end up buying new!

Sarah
#3 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:09 PM

I used to feel that way when I was using mainly Motherease, Kissaluvs and other mass produced type diapers.

Then I discovered the joy and love of WAHM diapers. Many of them are hard to get or way out my price range, so I started picking up a few here and there.

I always wash any dipe (new or used) at least 2-3 times before putting it on my littles. Now it is no big deal to me.

#4 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know exactly what you mean! Someone put three dipes on the TP last week that I really, really wanted, but something in me said no, they're used, even if just a few times. When dh got home I asked him, and he agreed.

It was a shame though - they were lovely diapers and great prices.

Maybe I"m a snob too, but actually, it's not that. I am fine with used clothes for the chidlren, just not diapers.
#5 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:14 PM

At first I thought it was terrible, for the same reasons you did. Used underwear, blech.

However, I have found that trying to equate my experience with my baby's is not always very sensible. First of all, there is a big difference between my underwear and his diapers-- I don't poop in my underwear. Second, the main reason why I wouldn't buy used underwear is because it would gross me out, not because there is technically anything wrong with it. My baby does not yet have these same sensibilities, and if it won't bother him, why should it bother me?

Of course, he also prefers to sit in a poopy diaper rather than have it changed, so you can only take that logic so far.

So I guess I don't think it's weird to feel funny about buying used dipes, nor do I think it's weird to actually buy used dipes. An odd sort of fence-sitting for me, but there you have it.

Karla
#6 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:27 PM

I also feel a bit wierd about used diapers but only when bought from complete strangers. Like I'll feel fine about using something from an MDC mama that I feel I "know" or from a IRL friend but I feel wierd the first few times that I use a diaper bought from a stranger.

Ultimately I force myself to get over it though because I always double wash (using GSE in rinse) and sun used diapers. I just can't justify the cost of buying new fitteds and I do so love cute diapers.
#7 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:41 PM

I have no problem buying used dipes as long as they're a design that allows very thorough washing. Thus, I don't buy used dipes that have lots of layers sewn together in the soaker pad, and I wash all used dipes in very hot water before using them. Hot water and a hot dryer will kill a lot of things. I don't see this as too different from using diapers from a service, in which case they are washed thoroughtly between children. Another option (which I haven't resorted to yet) is to boil used dipes; boiling water kills almost everything, I think. I wouldn't mind buying used underwear for myself, except that adults actually wear out their underwear (at least I do), whereas babies usually don't wear out diapers, especially if someone (everyone does this, no?) tries a dipe and it doesn't work for them so it hardly gets used.

I think it's a huge waste for a diaper to only be used for a short while for one child, which would often be the case if there wasn't such a good market for used dipes. In that case, the environmental advantages of cloth over disposable diapering would be much smaller or even nonexistent.
#8 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I initially felt weird about it too. Then I starting seeing the prices for the used diapers, and it made me rethink my opinion. I looked at it like this:

Your child poops in a diaper. It is now gross. So you wash it really well to make sure it's totally clean. The diaper is now used. Your child's poop is just as yucky as someone else's. I guess I realized that if a diaper is washed very very well in between children, no traces of the former child will remain.

I also agree with Karla -- the used underwear thing is a hangup adults have (if they were washed really really well, there would be nothing wrong with them) (don't get me wrong, I have this hangup too), but my baby doesn't have them.

The same is true for used children's clothing. Most people I know are OK with those, and lots of baby clothes get poop and pee all over them. But it gets washed out. People sleep on hotel sheets and hospital sheets that have been used over and over and have gross stuff on them (but it gets washed out, hopefully). People use diaper services, where lots of children potentially used the diapers. It gets washed out.

Repeat after me: I can get them clean... I can get them really clean... I can get them REALLY REALLY clean!
#9 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Interesting thread....

When I first learned about buying used diapers, it totally grossed me out. Then I really wanted to try out a Kissaluvs (yes, this was a time ago, LOL). I had never bought a fitted diaper before, so it seemed expensive to buy one new just to try. So I bought an almost new one off eBay. I saved some money and I learned that I don't particularly care for them. It was only used a time or two by me, so I resold it on eBay. I made back my money. After that, I was hooked.

Funny, its not like me to buy anything used. I do not buy used clothing for me or my family. Nor do I buy used appliances or other things. But for some reason, I will buy a used diaper. It doesn't make sense, I know.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#10 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 09:02 PM

I think I feel like Sharonal and wawoof...it at first not really grossed me out, but scared me and I even asked about it, like if it was kosher to do. THe general concensus was that the dipes are clean, it is ok to do. Plus, I'm a clean freak so with my super hot washes and sunning and even sometimes dryer drying, I feel safe that no funkies are left over. And I have been known to share towels with people, bathing suits, and stuff like that so I don't even think about used diapers being gross now. I agree about the cleaning svc diapers too-many baby diapers are all mixed up in those wash loads and who knows who had what kinds of infections or diarhea (sp?) or whatever else before they went in and swished all around with other baby diapers. If I thought it was truly unsanitary, I wouldn't do it.
#11 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 10:39 PM

<and a lil phishy swimmin in my womb-pond>

THAT cracked me up!!!

I cant comment on the used diaper thing cuz I think I might just be too laid back in that sense. I've borrowed a friends toothbrush when I forgot mine and have no problem with that either.
#12 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 10:53 PM

I think if any poop or pee remains in the diaper, whether it's Cole's or someone else's, then the diaper shouldn't be worn. If I can get Cole's own soiled diapers clean enough to put back on him, I can get someone else's that clean too. Poop is poop is poop - it's all gross.
#13 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 11:41 PM

I don't have a problem buying used diapers.
I wash them before I put them on my son, and I have faith that my washing routine & machine gets the job done sufficiently.
#14 of 45 Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 PM

I didn't think I'd buy used at first- but have and its been fine. I wouldn't buy worn dipes off eBay, but feel OK buying off the TP. I used a diaper service for 3 months with my first and was basically putting "used" diapers on dd every day during that time, so maybe that's what made it OK for me.

Still, I do have a little reservation about it. I fear yeast.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#15 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 12:24 AM

I can understand how some of you would feel funny using used diapers on your baby. Personally as long as I wash it before putting it on DS I don't have a problem with it. But, then again, I'm the type that shops Goodwill, any consignment shop I can find, and garage sales frequently. I hate, hate, hate, paying full price for stuff when I know there are other ways to get is cheaper! Just my .02.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#16 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifetapestry
I don't poop in my underwear.
Karla
:LOL :LOL :LOL

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#17 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 01:24 AM

I think we (the ones who buy pre-peed-in diaps) can all agree that we trust the other mamas on MDC to be as honest as we are... And we have faith in other mamas' washing routines, really. I choose not to buy diapers that are described as "stained" or overly worn, and it's worked out nicely so far...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#18 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I feel the same way, particularly since DS has had thrush multiple times. Just wonder whether the other babies have. I always wash used dipes in hot with a vinegar rinse but still, DS got a nasty rash with a used AIO a friend gave me. Ick!

Jennifer DH Bill '97. DS C 2/03  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09
mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 04:08 AM

I must admit it felt to me like buying used panties, and I'd NEVER do that. I bought about a dozen new (prefolds and kissaluvs)
But if I didn't buy a few used diapers - I'd never be able to afford to buy enough! As it is I'll probably have to wash every day....... but at least I have enough to get through - I've only bought from the TP - and I also avoid any diapers that have stains.
#20 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 04:45 AM

Hmmmm....
All of the dipes I own were not bought by me - I either made them myself, of people gave them to me. Used.

But then, I wear hand-me-down panties, too, so maybe y'all don't want to associate with the likes of me!
#21 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 05:18 AM

No, I dont buy used diapers. The furthest I have gone is lent a couple of prefolds to a girl I know well from a close, tight knit forum to try on her son before she took the plunge and bought some.

I felt funny offering them to her, thinking she might think it was yuck but she washed them herself first and washed them again and sent them back to me at which point i washed them AGAIN and put them back in the drawer.

I dont buy used clothing either.

I guess I dont really think anything is wrong with it, per se, like I know its all washed so its not really that that concerns me. Its just that I prefer new. I dont buy used anything really, ecxept for a car. If Im going to pay money for something, I want to enjoy the newness of it, that's half the fun. I dont want it to be already showing signs of wear.

A diaper is an article of clothing that gets treated pretty roughly really, a lot of washing, and when you buy it used, a lot of the life has gone out of it. That's not a bargain in my book. I look at it from the opposite perspective and think that because its new, if I look after it, then I can sell it again. I only buy fashionable label clothes for my daughter for precisely this reason - resale. I think it works out just as cheap to enjoy new and fashionable clothing and then sell it, than it does to buy clothing used. Either way, you're not really paying full price for the item.
#22 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 05:47 AM

With used diapers the only qualm I have is if the babes that soiled them before I use them on DD are vaxed! Then I have a little yuck in the back of my mind about them being infectious, despite the care that has been taken to clean them.
I have bought used, nice condition diapers off moms here on MDC.
I really really like the brand new UBCPFs that I won on EBAY though! They are luscious!
T I went to the laundrymat today and washed and when I pulled the diapers out of the dryer and was folding them I picked one up and put it to my nose and gave it a big, happy SNIFF! Then I looked around embarrassed because it was very crowded and some people were looking at us (baby in sling) and the looks on their faces when I did that made me realize I maybe should do that when I am alone with my diapers! :LOL!
#23 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Your child's poop is just as yucky as someone else's.
This is probably why buying used dipes never seemed weird to me. I do wash them first, but I don't obsess over it. I get my used does from the TP and from ebay. I am more cautious with ebay dipes, understandably.

I dunno, it just seems natural to re use cloth with multiple babies. I am most proud of my dipes that have been thru at least 3 babies. How much more PC can you get? They still work well, and they are adjustable, I've been using them on dd for 8 mos and the women I bought them from, a prominent Diapering mamma sold them after her dd potty trained, meaning she had worn them up to that point! THey are WAY used, and way soft/ I like to think that they have cradled a few baby butts. Makes them that much more feshial.
Lauren
#24 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 12:41 PM

I'll admit it gave me the queasies earlier. But since I use pocket AIOs (FB and HH) I feel like they can be washed thoroughly... and I always wash them at least twice -- in hot hot water, etc -- before putting on dd or ds.

The used dipes I've gotten from MDC Trading Post and swaps have been great quality, no stains, etc. I'm happy that the dipes which still have so much wear in them can be used for another generation (or two).
#25 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 12:44 PM

I understand your feelings....but, for some reason used dipes do not bother me. I would not however, buy used underwear....
#26 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 01:42 PM

I just bougt my first used dipe off the TP a few days ago. I didnt even think of yeast!!

Now I'm scared!
I am more willing to buy off the TP then on eBay.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#27 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 02:10 PM

The hot water kills the bacteria and other child's poopie stuffs. I have no problem buying used.
#28 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 02:34 PM

I don't really like to buy used dipes (but I have TONS of used covers!), but the couple I have bought I just wash and boil before I use them. Then I KNOW they are clean and germ free.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#29 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 PM

I have the same problem. I forced myself to buy 2 used AIOs and found myself not really using them at all.

BUT I have no problem buying a used cover. Covers seem more like clothes to me than the actual diaper.
#30 of 45 Old 10-04-2003, 07:52 PM

If I had a hang-up about used dipes I would never have started with cloth.

Even now - with DS being 13 months old - the only *new* diapers he has are ones I made myself.

Most I bought at a thrift store for $0.59 CDN each - then proceeded to wash about 8 or 10 times before he was born (there was a TON of detergent build-up in them).

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page