What am I doing wrong?!? / How much do your diapers leak? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having a rough couple months & am about ready to just quit, but I really don't want to. We've been cloth diapering our boys for maybe 14 months now, about a year or so of that using BumGenius one-size, which we loved until a couple months ago when they started to fail. It took a long time, but we are finally replacing them with some different kinds, because I don't want to be going through this again next year, plus one of the boys was starting to figure out the velcro.

Anyway, now a few times we've had leaks with some of the new diapers & I'm so frustrated! I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just normal to have a few leaks here and there, even with brand new diapers, or what... What's other people's experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM

What kind of dipes are you using as your new stash? I have had one leak with my ds and he's almost 15 months old.

caffix.gif

#3 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I got 4 Fuzzi Bunz first, and those are the ones that I've had the leaks with. I am in the process of getting some Whamies, but I just put them on the boys yesterday for the first time, so I don't know how those will be yet.

With the FB, I use two inserts - one being a new one that came with the diaper and the other being one of my old BumGenius ones (that, admittedly has quite a lot of build up on it, I think, that I can't seem to get off).

#4 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM

my diapers have never leaked unless its user error (coverless at naptime etc.). I use fitteds and wool.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#5 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM

The only time I had a leak was when I stuffed a HH too much. It was gaping at the leg and the pee just dribbled out the side. Is it possible this is the case with your pockets? I also remember when I bought my Baby Kangas pockets, it took quite a few washings to prime the hemp inserts. But if your using microfiber inserts they should just be ready to use hmmm...

caffix.gif

#6 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM

I find most pockets to be hit or miss. The fit has to be just perfect, the insert has to be just perfect, your washing routine has to be just perfect, etc. I do like Green Acre Designs pockets though.

I never have leaks with prefolds and either Thirsties/Bummis covers or wool soakers. Of course if I leave the diaper on too long I might get a leak, but not like with pockets where my son will pee out the leg or the top if it isn't tight enough.

You can always resell stuff that doesn't work for you. Fortunately good prefolds aren't a huge expense. They're so easy to take care of too.

Don't give up yet! Something will work for you.
#7 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Have your inserts been prepped with lots of washing on hot? Sometimes if they haven't been washed much yet, the urine will bead up instead of being absorbed right away, and that can cause leaks.

Are the inserts soaked when you take the diaper off? More frequent changing might be your answer. Maybe the boys are wetting more than they used to.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using microterry inserts (cottonbabies, thirsties & now whatever generic inserts came with the new diapers). I only washed the new pockets & inserts once, but that's what the instructions said to do.

Could be needing more frequent changes.

I keep hearing about fitteds/prefolds, and it's all good stuff, and I'm kind of interested in trying it. The thing is I just bought all these new diapers, and I don't feel like I can afford to buy a whole new set of stuff (and then what if it doesn't work, or I can't figure it out & I've wasted money that we don't have to waste), plus all we've ever used are pockets & a couple aios, and trying to learn something new at this point in the game seems really intimidating. (and in my current state of mind - there are so many diaper choices and I want to pick the right one and do it the right way, but I just don't know how - feeling really overwhelmed by this whole thing, which is unfortunate, because cd-ing has gone really well up until lately)
#9 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 PM

You could get a dozen prefolds, use the doublers you have, a couple Thirsties or Bummis covers, and try it out. The thing is, a dozen PFs is, what, $25, plus Thirsties and Bummis range from $11-14/ea, so your expense would not be too high, and you can ALWAYS resell. And with the Thirsties and Bummis super brites you can really stretch washings b/c you can wipe them out.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#10 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a variety of different diaper types from pockets to AIOs to prefolds with covers. I have experienced leaking when I do not properly wash and rinse the diapers. Every now and then the AIOs and the inserts need quite a few rinses to get rid of the detergent buildup. Also I had problems with leaking when I first started to CD and I followed the directions to wash them 1 time as well... I ended up washing 3 more times and drying in between to get those diapers and inserts working right. Yes, it was a PITA and very time consuming... BUT after that the diapers worked great.

Oh, and every now and then DS will leak overnight, he's 16 mos as well... I think it's a boy thing b/c my DD does not ever leak (she's 2 1/2 and also a heavy wetter). I have found that using 2 doublers as well as the insert helps for overnight. I also use the BG AIO for nighttime as well.

HTH,
Beth
#11 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

I have used disposables, prefolds, flats, fitted and pockets (which bG and Fb are currently all I use) and I have had the occasional leak here and there with every single one of them. I just think that sometimes diapers leak. Maybe it wasn't put on just right, or I waited too long to change it, or my daughter just peed a whole lot at one time, or once I had detergent build up.
These people who have NEVER had a leak are amazing, but I don't think that's the norm.
#12 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

this may be a dumb question but we have a bunch of prefolds that we have been using for burp cloths - would those be ok to try? I also have no idea how to use them... how would I learn?
#13 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 PM

I think most moms on here would say that your burp cloths weren't good enough to use, but I have used the cheap gerber prefolds, that most just use for burp cloths, on and off for 16 months with no problems. Now that she's 19 months old, I have to use 2 for them to be absorbant enough. Here's a link that shows you some ways to use them.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/howto.htm
#14 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM

I've heard that sometimes FBs just don't work for some kid's legs. They work well for DS, but it may be that your kids just don't work well with FBs.

I would be more worried about the fact that your BGs used to work, but don't anymore. That sounds like build up. You said that you tried to strip, what did you try? Have you switched detergents recently?

Wife to DH of 10 years
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS (4/20/06)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD (6/13/08)
#3 Due Late May 2016!!!
#15 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the build up is only one of the problems with the BG, the other issues are the velcro (which I could fix - I actually did get some replacement tabs), and the biggest, the elastic is completely shot around the legs, which I tried to fix and it just isn't worth it. So unfortunately, even if I could fix the build up problem, they still wouldn't work.

As far as what I did to strip them... First, I only did this recently, I didn't realize I should have been doing it all along... I first tried just several hot washes w/out detergent & many rinses. Then I tried the same thing but with oxyclean, then the same thing with dish soap. Nothing really made much difference, and I started to feel sick at all the water I was using, without seeing it getting any better. I don't know if I was washing them wrong to begin with that they got so bad?

I use Seventh Gen. soap, just a small amount (around 2 tblsp) and do the Regular/Prewash cycle with an extra rinse then either dry on hot or if possible hang dry.
#16 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM

When you use a FB, are you always putting a BG insert in, plus a new FB insert? (In other words does the diaper always have an insert with buildup in it, or have you ever tried 2 FB inserts in the same diaper, without any buildup?) I'm just wondering if the buildup is forcing the pee to leak instead of spreading it around over both inserts. I think at that age you'd need 2 good, absorbent inserts. 2 FB inserts worked for us, but if an insert had buildup that woudn't have worked well.

Single mom of 2 boys
#17 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief View Post
I use Seventh Gen. soap, just a small amount (around 2 tblsp) and do the Regular/Prewash cycle with an extra rinse then either dry on hot or if possible hang dry.
I don't know which Seventh Generation detergent you use, but out of like 4 different kinds, only one was rated ok to use with cloth diapers. That could be part of your problem.

http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
#18 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have been using one good insert, one old... I'll have to try two new ones... If that's the case, I'll need to get more - What are good ones? I'd like to stay away from hemp. We've used cotton babies & thirsties in the past.

And thanks for the detergent link, that's really helpful!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page