CD with dairy allergies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ok we've on and off cd all 4 of our kids.I'm planning on cd our next on the way, BUT.The reason ds who is 2 now is in disp as we speak is the awful amonia smell that will not come out of the cd we have from some random dairy slips.I'm nearly certain this next baby will have at least a sesetivity if not a severe allergy-all 4 range in severity-and I SO do not want to but disp ever again!!!!So,

Can I get rid of the smell?The smell only shows up after dipe is wet w/pee.And of course, I have stripped and stripped them, but not boiled, as they are fuzzi bunz mostly.
Is it just too late for these dipes?
Has anyone successfully cd with dairy allergy problems?
TIA

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw this in New Posts.... and I'm curious- how are the CD smells related to the dairy allergy? :

DD has a serious dairy allergy. And we occasionally get smelly dipes, but it's usually from soap residue (most often, it's because I either use too much detergent, or not enough- I've found you have to use *just* the right amount to avoid smellies.) I do a few washes on hot, and they're good as new. I've never noticed the smells corresponding to our dairy slip-ups.

And a note about the dairy allergies- have you looked into leaky gut healing for yourself (check out my blog in my sig)? All 4 kids showing up with diary allergies would be a good indicator that your gut isn't processing dairy properly. (Are you allergic as well?)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Aha!I DO have a dairy sesetivity-I only found out after quitting dairy to nurse ds for the first year-then we had some slip-ups...I will SO check that out!I always assumed it was from dh as he was/is very allergic to MANY things!Thanks!

Also I know part of the smell is the pee-whether in a dipe or not, it is just very stinky after a yogurt or more than 3 sevings of dairy foods with more than 2% dairy.In all 3 younger kids.oldest is on the same level as me.

#4 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's really interesting... I never noticed the smell corresponding. Maybe because it never crossed my mind that they could be related!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

HMMMM It has been very noticable with our youngest 3.I can smell it if I'm in the bathroom when either of my dd's use the toilet, and I know we overstepped again....When ds who is still in diapers pees a bad one it is worse than poop-VERY stinky!Unmistakable,and it never fails to correlate with a dairy interaction.

I really appreciate your blog.I'm going to begin working on this more again.It is SO difficult, as we seem to be addicted to our allergens.Dh is the worst, and he HAS the worst!It will be an amazing day when we can be a whole-gutted healthy family!

Any smell-out-of-dipes advice?I've stripped them 5 times and tried to CD ds again, but the smell just came right back!And we were in a good dairy free place at the time too, both of us on probiotics and all!

#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 PM

you can boil FB's, I've done it in the past. Snaps didn't even start to melt...I'm fairly certain the melting point is much higher than boiling water.

Another thing to try is putting them in the top rack of your dishwasher.

Oh and, oddly enough, from having rabbits I know that nothing cuts out an ammonia smell better than vinegar.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#7 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,Shelsi,I did try the vinegar,does it matter between white and ACV?Would the boiling deteriorate the elastic at the leg though?

#8 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindRedSpirit View Post
Thanks,Shelsi,I did try the vinegar,does it matter between white and ACV?Would the boiling deteriorate the elastic at the leg though?
I'm sure it could if you did it all the time. I only boiled them once. As for the vinegar, I'm not sure. I would think it wouldn't matter but I always used white vinegar.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page