Help killing yeast!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know why but DS has a line of yeast in the groin area of his right side. It is pretty bad but must have just popped up today/last night. He is in a sposie with nystatin on his groin.

How should I wash the cloth he has been wearing the last 2 days? Shoul I re-wash the previous batch too just to be safe?

We have been using Planet but I just got my crunchy clean in the mail today. I have a FL with a sanitize cycle...would that help?

We went to Florida this weekend. Should I re-wash all of the cloth I used while we were there?

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM

when we ran into yeast with my son we used the nystatin with sposies until it cleared. It was a very severe case of yeast! All I did was soak all of his diapers clean and dirty in a 1/4 cup borax and 1/4 cup bac out in an extra large load option on my washer with hot hot hot water. I soaked over night then washed as normal and no further issues.

I got a great recipe for a yeast prone wipe solution off these boards. When I find it I'll re-post it here for you.

Also try to get some pro-biotic in the little guy. Definitely a yogurt snack would do him some good.
#3 of 15 Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Luckily we had some sposies left from our recent trip to beach!

#4 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 AM

Oh the wonderful rash called yeast...we know of this all too well Our daughter had a yeast rash for almost 2 months and what we did to kill everything off was this:

We took ALL of the diapers that we own and let them soak in the washer with HOT water for about 4 hours with 20-30 drops of GSE and TTO. Then we drained the water and washed with our normal detergent on HOT with a few more drops of GSE and then dryed on HOT as well. We have had no other occurances.

Hope you find something that works. But I would make sure to wash all the diapers, not just the ones that he has been wearing in the last 24 hours. You never know how long the yeast has been stewing in there. Also, as the PP said, yogurt snacks did wonders for us, too.

HTH!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#5 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought I should wash all of them. I guess that will be my day of fun tomorrow!

I went and got some GSE and washed the diapers on Sanitize with crunchy clean, rinsed in cold with the GSE then dried the inserts on the highest heat setting and the diapers on the med-hot setting.

I am not too sure it is yeast now though. The first time I saw it I immediately thought yeast.....now I noticed it is not spotted but all red. Also, it is in a fold only on one side and no where else on his bottom or groin. I am going to use the lotramin/nystatin for atleast 36-48 hours and see what happens. I may mix that with zinc oxide. It looks like we are in sposies for atleast the rest of this week.

#6 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 AM

If you're not sure it yeast I wouldn't continue with the nystatin...that's some serious stuff!! My homeopath has warned against zinc oxide down below as well. Boiron makes a calendula ointment ( unfortunately petrolium based!) that works wonders if he's just red. I have used it in the past and really only need to apply the littlest bit a couple times and the red is gone. I have not noticed any ill effects on the cd's either. I wish I could remember why she said no to zinc oxide...maybe because it would make it harder for the skin to breathe. Don't forget some good ol nudey time!! Here's the wipe solution recipe. I make a calendula tea and use that instead of water. This solution smells soo good and dries well leaving skin nice and soft. You can add some usnea to it also. I opt for tto and lavender.

Anti-Fungal Baby Wipes

1 cup water
1 tablespoon vinegar

1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel

1 tablespoon Calendula Oil

2 drops Lavender or Chamomile Oil

2 drops Tea Tree Oil or Grape Seed Extract

Mix in a jar and then pour over wipes. Store extra solution in the fridge.

This one is great for discouraging yeast diaper rashes because the vinegar and essential oils discourage yeast growth.
#7 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 AM

The Earth Mama Angel Baby cream has TTO in it and has always killed diaper area yeast for me.

As for the wash, I'd use bleach. :

Wife to DH of 10 years
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS (4/20/06)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD (6/13/08)
#3 Due Late May 2016!!!
#8 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 PM

I agree with the PP on not using the nystatin if you don't know for sure if it's yeast or not. And I can't help you with the zinc oxide, never used it, don't want to!!

On the bleach thing: I was told by the lady I buy my diapers from that bleach was the killer or all things if you HAVE to use it. So she reccommended that I use bleach, too, to kill off the yeast on my diapers. I did so, thought I was good, and IMMEDIATELY it came back. I stopped using my diapers, went back to sposies for a few days, washed my diapers like I told you earlier with GSE and TTO, and voila! We haven't had it sense. I guess it might work for some, but it didn't for me.

Another possibility could be an allergy. Not sure what kind of diapers you are using, but some babes can develop poly allergies after wearing them for a while. The rash looks the exact same as a yeast rash..just maybe not so blistery-like.

HTH!!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#9 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM

GSE will totally kill the yeast(and IMHO is stronger than bleach).

Another option is to go diaper free as much as possible to let the rash air out and heal. You can do this while you treat you diapers.

Good luck mama, rashes are no fun!
#10 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM

I LOVE the earth mam angle baby products!!! I use the nipple ointment (which helped clear up yeast on my nipples) everywhere i get an owie now, and the bottom cream always clears up any irritation on my baby's bum.

What is GSE? TTO?

Also, if the rash isn't clearing up after all the 'yeast killing' it could be enzymes in the detergent. After they eat all the 'soil' they move onto the baby's skin causing yeast-like rashes. I've experienced this trauma - not fun for poor baby!!!
#11 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 PM

GSE = grapeFRUIT seed extract

TTO = tea tree oil

The issue with GSE is that it is what is in biokleen that may cause pockets to repel.

Wife to DH of 10 years
DS (4/20/06)
DD (6/13/08)
#3 Due Late May 2016!!!
#12 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 PM

vinegar will work as well as bleach too!!
#13 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
GSE will totally kill the yeast(and IMHO is stronger than bleach).

Another option is to go diaper free as much as possible to let the rash air out and heal. You can do this while you treat you diapers.

Good luck mama, rashes are no fun!
Yes, and in my experience GSE is more effective than TTO and doesn't leave an oily residue on CDs, which is a big plus!

I'd stop using CDs until you know for sure what the rash is. Get some Grapefruit Seed Extract and make a mix of 10 drops per ounce with distilled water. Use this on the diaper WIPES and in a spray bottle. Apply to diaper area at every change. Apply breastmilk and let air dry too, if possible. Do not use CDs until rash is gone completely and you've treated the CDs with GSE.

Do this by adding 20 drops to the final rinse cycle of the wash on the CDs. No Tea Tree Oil is necessary. To prevent future yeast add 10 drops to the final rinse cycle. (Or do this if the area starts looking red again. That's what we do.)

Dry on high heat when you're actively killing yeast. Heat helps kill yeast too. Dry on low otherwise, or hang to dry.

GSE works far better than bleach, and is gentle on diapers -- it doesn't leave a residue that can cause repelling at all, IME. But I've never applied it straight directly to the diaper. That's unnecessary.

From my experience, GSE is as innocuous as clear vinegar. I don't know what the specific ingredient is in Biokleen's detergent that can be problematic for pockets, but we've used GSE on our FBs and had zero issues with wicking/repelling. Also stopped having issues with yeast. I've never used Biokleen's detergent though, so I don't know what it's specific ingredients are. It looks like it's got orange peel, which is an oil, right? More so than GSE at least? I'd guess that would be the culprit, but again, I don't know for sure.

Something to consider. But I suspect 10-20 drops of GSE in a full, extra large load, isn't going to be enough to do any damage to the fleece. If it were a half cup or so, then maybe. But drops? Hasn't done any damage in our experience.

And when it comes to dealing with yeast, I think it's worth the risk of having to potentially strip (which I've never had to do from GSE use), honestly. It's just that effective at killing off yeast.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#14 of 15 Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_mich View Post
vinegar will work as well as bleach too!!
Well vinegar will make an environment not suitable for yeast to grow, it will not actually kill the yeast. GSE will, and bleach will.

Wife to DH of 10 years
DS (4/20/06)
DD (6/13/08)
#3 Due Late May 2016!!!
#15 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for all of the input!!

I did wash the diapers in some GSE last night and have been using sposies since the reddness popped up. The area is now a medium pink. I will definatley make some of the wipes solution and catch some breastmilk next feed for him.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page