Please help! What is wrong with my cloth diapers? In disposables now. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone remembers my posts over the last several weeks, we've been back and forth between prefolds with BSWW snap covers and Pampers. My little guy was getting a bleeding rash on his bottom. I changed him often, but every time he would have a poo, even if I knew it and changed him immediately, he would get a terrible rash. He was teething badly, so perhaps makes it more acidic or something, I don't know. We switched to Pampers so we could load up on the diaper cream. We used California Baby and Aquaphor. Within a couple days, he was all cleared up.

I switched back to cloth, but by the end of the day, the original sores were starting to bleed again. I put him in Pampers at night and it was all clear by morning. This has happened two or three more times and I don't know what to do. It was NOT a yeast rash. My other kids had this same type of thing- the bleeding bottom and we saw the ped and it was because of acidic bm's. Some were from teething, some from my twins were a sensitivity to tomatoes. There was a yeast rash that my oldest son had and this is nothing like it.

We use Allen's to wash, and have since we started cd'ing 16 months ago. We use GMD prefolds, Bummi's snap covers, occasional Loveybum's fitteds. I do a cold rinse, wash on the sanitary (extra hot) cycle, do a warm rinse, and dry. I haven't changed the amount of detergent. For anyone that uses Allen's, I use a little less than the line on the measuring cup (powder) in our front load machine.

I'm getting really frustrated and about ready to quit trying. I'm tired of making my poor son's bottom be the test to decide if the cloth is going okay. I'm also frustrated because I JUST bought five brand new covers and money is tight. We can swing the $10 per week for disposables, but we can not afford any more upfront money if new cloth diapers are the solution (that's what a friend suggested). I love not having chemicals in his diaper and the cute big cloth diapered bottom, and the adorable look of our Loveybum's, but honestly, right now the chemical diapers are what's working for us.

Help please!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM

I think its too much detergent.

Do you know how to strip them? I'm not sure the procedure in a FLer, but in a top loader you turn up your water heater, add a squirt of original Dawn, and rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse... Maybe the same way, just with a teeny amount of dawn.

For me, getting the right amount of Allens is tough. There is a hard balance between too little (you get stinky diapers) and too much (buildup: rash issues, repelling, etc).

Ultimately, I gave up on Allens because I have super hard water and couldn't get it right. I now use either Tide F&C or Purex F&C most of the time.

Sorry this is happening.
#3 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysumthing View Post
I think its too much detergent.
Really? Would it take so long to have a problem though? We went for almost 15 months with the exact same routine and no issues.

I don't have any Dawn, but can I just wash on hot with no detergent through a couple cycles to try to get rid of any buildup?

#4 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 AM

This may sound random, but is your box of AN fairly new, like within the last few months? If so...I noticed a problem started with my most recent box of AN. I thought it was a coincidence, but if it happened to you, too, maybe there's something there.

It isn't likely that a problem started with your wash routine if nothing at all changed over 15 months. PFs are one of the most forgiving diapers for laundering, too. I'm honestly a little stumped.

Have you thought about trying just a little aquaphor with the cloth diapers? I do that on occasion and don't have trouble with my prefolds. Its bad for pockets, but prefolds are pretty resilient.
#5 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I think the box of AN is about five months old.

I haven't tried the Aquaphor with cloth. I'm so worried about repelling or whatever it is I'm supposed to be worried about with diaper creams and cloth. I keep thinking I'll buy fleece liners, but have no idea how I would wash those since they couldn't be washed with the diapers. We have a family of six, so we have a lot of regular laundry too. You think the Aquaphor might be okay?

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm really at a loss and bummed that I have all this fluff that is going unused. And I can't stand the sound it makes when my son grabs his diaper...the papery scratchy sound.
#6 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 AM

do you use allens for all your other wash too? if you use a different detergent for everything else i would try using that detergent with your dipes and see if that helps.
sounds like something happened with the detergent you are using, so try something different and see if it makes a difference at all.
so sorry you are having problems with your little ones bum.
#7 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM

what about using the paper liners? that would help avoid full contact with the diapers

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#8 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Hmm, I think the box of AN is about five months old.

I haven't tried the Aquaphor with cloth. I'm so worried about repelling or whatever it is I'm supposed to be worried about with diaper creams and cloth. I keep thinking I'll buy fleece liners, but have no idea how I would wash those since they couldn't be washed with the diapers. We have a family of six, so we have a lot of regular laundry too. You think the Aquaphor might be okay?

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm really at a loss and bummed that I have all this fluff that is going unused. And I can't stand the sound it makes when my son grabs his diaper...the papery scratchy sound.
Why can't you wash fleece liners with diapers? I made my own fleece liners (cut out fleece strips, fold them over and stick them in the dipe!) and I have been washing them with everything else.
#9 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
do you use allens for all your other wash too? if you use a different detergent for everything else i would try using that detergent with your dipes and see if that helps.
sounds like something happened with the detergent you are using, so try something different and see if it makes a difference at all.
so sorry you are having problems with your little ones bum.
Yeah, we use Allen's for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyandmikey View Post
what about using the paper liners? that would help avoid full contact with the diapers
We tried some once but they got all bunched up. I don't know what they were. Someone knew someone who knew someone who cloth diapered and had these leftover. He was pretty young and little then though, maybe it would be worth a try again.
#10 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM

It was only from the dirty diapers? I would think that it would connected to food?

I would give the liners a try. That way you could put the cream on before he has a dirty diaper and prevent the rash.

I hope you don't have to give up cloth!
#11 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM

you could also try stripping with some rlr laundry treatment...i found some at kroger...it's an inexpensive way that might solve the problem...i get 2 treatments for 2.69...they can be found online but then there's shipping and what not...they are usually hanging up by the bleach/borax and whatnot.

i use the flushable liners from tiny tush when i need to use some rash cream, can't say they are the best thing ever, but it works alright...after i run out i will go back to cutting up scrap pieces of flannel, which i have to toss otherwise the butt paste gums up the lint trap in the washer, which is no good.
#12 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liea View Post
Why can't you wash fleece liners with diapers? I made my own fleece liners (cut out fleece strips, fold them over and stick them in the dipe!) and I have been washing them with everything else.
I would be using diaper cream though and that shouldn't be washed with the diaper. but yeah, plain fleece should be fine.
#13 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM

If the pampers help without creams then maybe the disposables wick the moisture of the poop away faster so the acidic poop liquid goes away from his skin even faster than immediately changing.

Dh's grandma had the same thing--sensitive skin, acid poops--with his aunt amd ended up putting her in tiny undies so she could tell if there was any elimination ASAP. That solved the diaper rash problem. Bonus result was that dh's aunt potty learned by 9 months.

Question. Have you tried cutting out citrus? That's supposed to be a major culprit for acid poop.
#14 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If the pampers help without creams then maybe the disposables wick the moisture of the poop away faster so the acidic poop liquid goes away from his skin even faster than immediately changing.

Dh's grandma had the same thing--sensitive skin, acid poops--with his aunt amd ended up putting her in tiny undies so she could tell if there was any elimination ASAP. That solved the diaper rash problem. Bonus result was that dh's aunt potty learned by 9 months.

Question. Have you tried cutting out citrus? That's supposed to be a major culprit for acid poop.
Interesting. So, maybe the fleece liner without cream would be helpful with cloth after all, if it's a wicking issue. Maybe I'll buy some fleece and just cut into strips before buying actual liners.

He doesn't eat much citrus. I really think it's from the teething. So bad for his bum!
#15 of 17 Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 PM

The only diaper creams I use are Calendula Cream and Burt's Bees diaper cream and only in very small amounts and I haven't had problems washing everything together. Actually I lied, we do use small amounts of powder at times too.

I had only been using my fleece "liners" at night but just made a bunch more and have been using them for every diaper change and I think it's really helping us. I had attributed our problems to my diet (we have other food intolerance symptoms) but I'm not sure the rash is really related much to my diet now. However, I've read so much conflicting info about acidic foods affecting poop that I have no idea what to believe.
#16 of 17 Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 AM

it still could be detergent build-up. if you have good water it can take a while to casue a problem. for cloth diaper laundry allen's recommends 2tsp of detergent for a HE front loader and 1T for a top loader.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#17 of 17 Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post
it still could be detergent build-up. if you have good water it can take a while to casue a problem. for cloth diaper laundry allen's recommends 2tsp of detergent for a HE front loader and 1T for a top loader.
I must have heard that before because I just measured two teaspoons into the scoop and that's exactly where I fill it. I actually use that much for all laundry. I wonder if that isn't enough for regular stuff?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page