Infant Potty Training Book ???s - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, boy am I glad I didn't read this book until my dd was 16 months and I had already been doing EC for 14 months. Apparently I am a "lazy, ineffective" parent because I am not completely anal about an EC schedule, and I DIDN'T use an elimination chart, the horror! According to the book I should have failed miserably at ECing and just given up months ago.

I just sort of stuck the baby on the potty once in a while, and just came off an almost four month break after we moved and I was overwhelmed, and guess what? She's almost a grad! We only have one or two misses a day, she's been completely consistent with poop since 8 months, and she's learning to pull her own pants up and down now at 17 months.

Anyway, the other wierd thing is that in the stories section there is a whole section about the Pearls!!! Yes the baby-beating, evil pearls apparently ECed (or forcibly trained?) their babies and their books are mentioned WITH pictures!!! Too creepy for me.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I way behind and y'all have already discussed this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 AM

hi, what book are you talking about? i just bought one called early start potty training or something like that. i hope that's not the one you are referring to. i cant see myself using an "elimination chart"!

also who are the Pearls?

anyway, sounds like you are doing great so congratulations. hearing stuff like that makes me sure that i want to stick with it...even after 4 poo misses yesterday (one of them on me!)
#3 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 AM

Well at least the horrified reactions some people have to the concept of ECing makes sense now.

#4 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I emailed Laurie Boucke and she very nicely emailed me back and said that they are taking out the chapter on the Pearls in the next edition due out this year. i feel better now, even thoug I'm still a lazy parent

Edited to add: the book is called "Infant Potty Training" by Laurie Boucke, and otherwise, it's full of useful info and stories about people who EC.
#5 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM

I have that book (well, actually someone borrowed it... LOL!) and I didn't get that impression from it at all. I found it very helpful.

Yeah, it has a chapter on the Pearls, but I thought that was more along the lines of info on others who used the method, not recommending it. I am glad that chapter won't be included in future editions though.

Laurie is on several of the EC lists, she's always been super helpful and kind (unlike those wacky "Toilet Training Begins at Birth" people! They were just... weird!)

Kathryn
#6 of 8 Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM

nak

I didn't get that from the book (the lazy thing - we don't do charts either), but I was surprised the Pearls were in it. It's cool that they did EC and the article was informative, but it was still odd... [understatement]they sure aren't AP![/understatement]

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#7 of 8 Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM

I didn't get that from the book either. In fact, I got the opposite, that it was okay to take your time and go at your own pace, just doing what you can.
Try "Diaper Free" by Ingrid Bauer if you feel like reading a different style of book. She's super laid back and very crunchy.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#8 of 8 Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 AM

Although I haven't finished the book yet, I have felt that Laurie recommends going at your own pace throughout. I think the chart is more there if you're that kind of person... like it would help you to chart, not that if you don't do it you're a lazy parent.

I'm super happy to hear you've had such success! It sure does feel wonderful to see our babes accomplishing what others think is unrealistic - or whatever.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page