This is amazing!! Anyone else want to share their story? STICKY?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SO glad that I read about EC before having my baby! I was very skeptical at first, but also curious and intrigued. After reading "Diaper Free," attending a class run by an EC family who shared their experiences, and reading posts here, DH and I were planning to start EC after things calmed down from the birth, maybe 2-3 months in.

From the day our son was born, we observed that DS was only peeing outside of a diaper - and onto DH or I, so we started to hold him in position over the sink when we removed his diaper. He would immediately pee into the sink, so we gave him a cue "pee pee" when he did this. He didn't associate this with pooping right away, and we had several poopy diapers in the first days. Once the meconium started going away, he seemed to pick up on the fact that he could also poop into the sink, and he started doing so! Since then, it has become quite clear to us that he understands why we hold him like that and what he is supposed to do. He has lots of "incidents" and we have been doing lots of laundry, but I know that the root is planted and the understanding is there. We are making a big effort to make this nonchalant and as low pressure as possible. Heck, he's only 11 days old! We are pretty excited about how well this has been working out! He is even learning to signal us by putting his legs into the position that we hold him in to eliminate, and to let us know he DOESN'T have to go by crossing his legs!

One thing that we've noticed is that since we are doing this, all 3 of us seem to have faith that we can try to figure out whatever is wrong when he cries. We have been able to determine things as odd as the fact that he likes the sound of the bathroom fan (he was cueing to eliminate and was crying if we tried to take him away from the sink, but he was not doing "his business"! ) and that he wanted me to sleep in the recliner with him on my belly one night (that one was HARD to figure out!! It took lots of trial and error, and crying before we finally got it, then he calmed down immediately.) He insists on having his mouth wiped off when he gets "milkface" before he will continue to eat, and gives me the "baby bird" face until I do this. It does make the breastfeeding process a bit more complicated, since he refuses to eat when he needs to eliminate and sometimes we have to do some trial and error to determine his chosen "order of operations." In the end, it seems we are able to do this, though. And when he's happy, he wrinkles his brow, gives us a little smile, and is irresistibly cute - it makes the challenges worth every minute! I am so happy that we can do this for our son, it feels so RIGHT!!

Anyhow, we are very happy about our success so far, and I was hoping that other people would want to share their stories so that we can all learn from each other and encourage other people who are considering EC!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think my story's on here in pieces. Don't have much time to write. I was thinking of doing EC since DS was about 3 mos. and it just never happened. One night at 5 mos I just didn't put a diaper back on him for the next 24 hrs. (our biggest 100% diaper-free stretch). I still diaper when we go out (most of the time) and sometimes at home without a cover on if I'm off my game or know that my focus can't be there. It's great, I love it!! In a sense I wish we had started ealier, but on the other hand I started when I felt ready and like we could have success at it and am glad I started when I did!

Laurie, wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH (Aug/04), mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 (Nov/05),
DS2 (June/12),
DD (May/15). 
#3 of 3 Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
awesome that it's going so well for you. We were laid back about when we started, and it wasn't till a few weeks after the birth, but it just keeps getting better!(of course it doesn't hurt to have all those great delerious birth hormones either! Sounds like you had a positive birth?) One thing I found was that just when we had it all figured out, it changed. Still, once parents and baby get the basic concept that diapers aren't the only way, they never make so much sense anymore.
It's so great to hear you so thoroughly enjoying your new little one!

-ours is more than a year old and it's more fun than ever. I love wowing other moms when he tells me he has to poop. Never thought I'd be so proud.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page