How's it going? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 111 Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was inspired by the updates on the EC Yahoo group, but since I post here much more often, I wondered if anyone would like to start doing that here? Basically, you just answer some questions like,

How old is your child?
When did you start EC?
How's it going at this age?
When are you having misses?
When are you having the most success?
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?
What is your child currently using as a potty?
What do you do for nights?
What do you do for being out and about?
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month?
How have your expectations of EC changed this month?
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?

...and any other info you want to share! I don't want to start if no one is interested...so let me know, or just post an update about your child! I always found reading them both interesting and very helpful, especially when someone comes back to post another update about their child later.

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 111 Old 05-19-2007, 10:14 PM

How old is your child? 7.5 months
When did you start EC? 3 months
How's it going at this age? on again, off again
When are you having misses? when he's teething, or I'm distracted
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? less signaling right now with teething, but usually he whines and fidgets, then pees.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? outside nekkid, inside cloth diapers
What do you do for nights? nekkid until he wakes up the first time, then AIOs so I can get my morning sleep
What do you do for being out and about? pockets and AIOs, but I always take him to a potty for a poo (I hate rinsing poo out of CD's!!!)
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Just stick with it and RELAX.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? The satisfied grin on his face after he's done peeing (esp if he just peed on me lol)

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#3 of 111 Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 PM

My DS is about 18 weeks
We started EC almost two weeks ago
Things are going wonderful, he goes on cue, signals and waits to poop
Mostly we have misses when I doubt my intuition or doubt my interpretation of his signals. We also miss once in awhile when he is half asleep and pees while nursing after a long nap(this is the only time he doesn't pee while nursing)
When we started he would grunt and stop nursing but now he also fusses, squirms and gives me a look, I also just get this feeling when he needs to poop even if he has only given sudden signals or hasn't signaled yet. He now signals before he starts to grunt and push. For peeing also stops nursing, looks at me and sometimes fusses. We also use timing for peeing(he pees about every 20 minutes now when awake and not nursing but when we started he peed every 10 minutes)
We use disposables when we are out or too stressed as well as at night, cloth with velcro sewn on most of the time during the day as well as training pants and little newborn pants without diapers. We also go nakey butt whenever we feel like it.
For now I only get out of bed to potty him if he wont stop fussing and repeatedly unlatches or if I am certain that he has to poop(He doesn't poop at night unless I get up with him) If I were to get up everytime he needed to pee he wouldd scream at me so for now he wears disposables at night.
DS waers diposables when we are out and we give him potty opportunities when we get the chance.
DS is my first baby so I have no comparisons but he seemed to catch on very quickly at three and a half months
I like letting DS go nakie butt, keeping his poop off of him. Most of all I like being able to understand him and his needs better. Before I thought it had to do with a bf problem when he would latch and unlatch and fuss. EC makes him happier. I always hated the idea of diapers!

#4 of 111 Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad there's interest

How old is your child? 6 months

When did you start EC? Off and on from birth, full time at one month

How's it going at this age? Pretty well, all poops are in the potty (how nice to not remember the last time I changed a poopy diaper!) and most pees, but he's stopped caring if he's wet in the last few weeks--before he would scream if there was a drop of pee in his diaper! But he's still trying to wait for the potty, so that's good.

When are you having misses? Nighttime, when I'm too tired! Sometimes during tummy time, or in the exersaucer (only in there for like, 5 minutes, but he seems to think it's a good time to pee!), almost always in the high chair, and he's just there as a "seat" for now, so who knows what will happen when he starts solids...and of course, when Daddy's watching him and not paying attention...lol.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Timing for the obvious ones (after nursing, after waking), Signals- if he pops on and off during nursing, squirming or sudden fussing, and intuition for poops. I also offer if it's just been awhile since he last went.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? All of the above. We're trying mostly undies or just pants at home lately, but sometimes trainers. Diapers are for nighttime, and we use SIMPLYcovers and flannel inserts from the ec store for going out for short trips or at other people's houses.

What do you do for nights? Diapers, but we offer the potty when he squirms and wakes up...but sometimes I don't wake up entirely and find a wet diaper and a baby nursing on my other side when I wake up! Yikes! He cries a little when we potty him at night, unless he has to poop, and then he sits happily on the potty.

What do you do for being out and about? SIMPLYcover and inserts, and we potty in the car upon arriving and leaving somewhere...we find it too hard to manuver him in a public bathroom, so unless there's a family restroom, we don't do that.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? It's so nice that DS is starting to be able to sit on the potty alone! He sometimes lurches backward though, so he still needs us there. When he protests, he's easy to distract with a toy or a book...he has a nice toy that is at face/hand height when he's sitting on his potty, so he likes to play with that. Distraction is our friend right now. Also, he will not pee if he's in the mei-tai if he can help it, he will throw a royal fit first (as I found out at the zoo, with no real good place to potty him...but we improvised!).

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? He's so social, he's always "talking" away while he's on the potty, and that sitting on the little potty helps him work on his sitting skills! I like that he's not mobile yet, so if I have him naked I know the pee is going to stay on the blanket lol. I like that it's so much of a part of our lives now that it's just habit, and not something I really need to think about.

I'm looking forward to more diaperless time this summer, but I'm definately a little concerned about what solids and crawling are going to do to our EC!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#5 of 111 Old 05-20-2007, 02:07 AM

How old is your child? - 11 months
When did you start EC? - 2 weeks
How's it going at this age? - on a good day, 1 or 2 misses; on a bad day, a lot more misses and maybe 1 or 2 catches
When are you having misses? when I am not paying attention; when I put her to the potty less than 30 seconds ago and she had nothing at THAT particular moment...
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? using timing and when she does a poop it's obvious
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? diapers when out and about, split-crotch pants or ordinary shorts at home
What do you do for nights?in CD but will change her if she awakens
What do you do for being out and about? only ever ventured out twice for 15 minutes without a diaper. will toilet her in public bathrooms or trees now that weather is warming up
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? patience during potty strikes, just keep offering anyway and they'll eventually come around
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?I rarely have to change a poopy diaper!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#6 of 111 Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
cmg

How old is your child? 6 mos
When did you start EC? 1.5 mos?
How's it going at this age? Fairly well. She's holding it and signalling to some extent. And she's peeing less (finally!)
When are you having misses? Morning naps - she's usually wet when we get her up. Early evening/first sleep at night, same thing.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Some signals (fussing, popping off), and offering if it feels like it's been a while, more often in the morning. Before going out, after nursing.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Cloth diapers with a cover when dh has her or we're out (although I did my first no diaper outing!). I've been playing around with underwear/pants or nakie bum at home.
What do you do for nights? nakie bum on a pre-fold on a lambskin, potty within reach.
What do you do for being out and about? Cloth diapers. Although she's getting good at holding it.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? What with teething, changing sleep habits, changing pee habits, it's best just to go with the flow and not sweat the misses. The plus side is, she can now signal some and hold it, so it's not so critical to "rush" her to the potty.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? How much fun she has sitting on the potty in front of the toy box. And the happy sigh of satisfaction after a big pee or poop
#7 of 111 Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Reviving this...it's been a month!

How old is your child? 7 months

When did you start EC? part time from birth, full time one month

How's it going at this age? really well, we're in a good place

When are you having misses? During floor time, or when I'm not paying attention (of course! Lol), sometimes when out

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Umm, I don't think we're getting much signalling these days, we just take him when we think he has to go. He's only clear about having to go when he's in the sling.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Undies at home during the day, diaper at night (just starting coverless), trainers or diapers when out

What do you do for nights? We have a BBLP on the bed, but I think we need to work something else out, because he cries when we potty him. He goes, but he cries, and I feel bad. I want to try peeing him into a bottle while I nurse him, but there is that rare nighttime poop that keeps me from doing that.

What do you do for being out and about? We normally potty in the car before and after and wear him in the store or wherever we are. DH will take him to the restroom, but I haven't figured out how to deal with the shorts and the diaper and juggling the baby in the stall.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Well, DS is gaining mobility but isn't mobile, so it's nice that he's confined to his playmat, which makes naked time stress free. It's also nice and hot here, so that makes EC SOOO much easier! I use his potty as a "chair" from which he can play with toys he can't play with laying on the floor (for example, his activity table), which not only makes him practice his sitting, it makes him happy to be on the potty! The sling is also my dearest friend

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Well, I'm thinking of it as the calm before the storm...it's the easygoing part of EC before his mobility kicks in and throws a wrench in it all! I love having a baby in undies and not having to worry about diapers. *I* am learning a lot about how to let him develop at his own pace, and not to worry about misses!

Can't wait to hear how all your babies are changing and growing!

#8 of 111 Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM

How old is your child?8 weeks tomorrow
When did you start EC?yesterday
How's it going at this age?good so far, she's peed nearly everytime i've offered
When are you having misses?when we were at a friend's house; i offered, she didn't pee, then i discovered she peed right after
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?right now, it's only timing, but i'm becoming aware of her actions just prior to her going
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?CD at night and in the car, nekkid butt at home, or at our destination place when we arrive. (this is the plan, anyways)
What do you do for nights?diapers for now
What do you do for being out and about?CD in the car, remove when we get to where we're going (either we're outside, or somewhere with a bathroom)
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?no, , i'm looking for some myself!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?that we have had so many successful pees and 1 poop!
#9 of 111 Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM

How old is your child? 8.5mos

When did you start EC? Birth

How's it going at this age? Awesome. We're very happy we EC! DS hasn't pooped in his diaper for many months!! We catch 95% of his pees now.

When are you having misses? Between 1am and 6am.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Timing, like at wake ups or 'if it's been a while'; cues like twisting his legs a certain way; we cue him verbally as well; and best of all.... INTUITION!

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? He has a cloth diaper on pretty regularly, but now that we're catching so much (and it's nice and warm weather wise) we're going diaper free way more.

What do you do for nights? Nurse DS to sleep nude around 8pm, him laying on a blanket that's pretty thick. Potty him around midnight (or if he wakes up before then), he stays mostly asleep for this. He may start to cry, but then he pees and passes out again immediately, after I put a diaper on him. Try to potty him around 4-ish, sometimes do, sometimes don't. Sometimes dry, sometimes not. He wakes up around 7-8 and goes immediately. For all of those pees (and the 1st of the morning poo) we use a bowl that I keep beside the bed.

What do you do for being out and about? We bring a bowl in the car; potty him in sinks or toilets depending on the situation. We use cloth dipes and keep on our usual EC program.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Since he's started eating soilds, his stance for pooping has changed a lot. Where he used to just exhale and let it go, now he can be almost standing to poo. In the beginning I thought he was trying to tell me he was done, but now I know that he's actually pooing. (The difference between "I'm done" and "I'm still pooing" can be hard to define at times!)

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? The fact that his increasingly yucky solid food poos all go in toilet and he doesn't EVER sit in his own excremement!

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#10 of 111 Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM

How old is your child? 11.5 months

When did you start EC? 2 weeks ago

How's it going at this age? morning pee/poop catch is going great at nearly 100%...other than that its not going very well. im really only doing it part time because i work full time. the fact that he goes in the am gives me hope and pleases me so . he does know what the potty is for bc he tries to go when i set him on. thats exciting!

When are you having misses? more than catches right now..but we just just started..and he has been going in his pants for 11 months!

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? teaching him the sign...but right now we basically use timing or obvious physical signs

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? diapers & naked butt....in the market for snap training pants

What do you do for nights? diaper :

What do you do for being out and about? diaper

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? its never too late to start!

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? watching him grow and learn and encouraging other peeps who had never thought about offering their little ones a potty this early.
#11 of 111 Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How old is your child? 7 months

When did you start EC?
3 months

How's it going at this age? Almost all poops are going in the potty bowl! Nighttime is great too (unless I'm super tired and manage to sleep through a whole mess of kicking and squirming). Days vary a ton depending on teething, sickness, mood, activities, etc...she's learning to crawl and stand, which is SO much more exciting than pottying...Morning pee and after naps is still very reliable though.

When are you having misses? During floor play when I'm not holding her I miss almost all of them if I'm not going on timing. Sometimes when I'm holding her too--although I'm getting a little better at responding to her subtle squirms I still miss a lot.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? At night (and sometimes during the day) she signals by squirming/popping on and off the boob (I offer the boob first when she squirms, then if she pops on and off I offer the potty bowl--makes for a lot less sitting up, which is nice). When I'm holding her during the day or she's in the sling, she's squirm and fuss (sometimes) to let me know she needs to go. When she's on the floor, I have no idea--I think sometimes she stops what she's doing and LOOKS at me, but it's not always the case--sometimes she's just gazing lovingly in my direction and it has nothing to do with peeing

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? I keep her in AIO Bumkins a lot of the time 'cause they are so easy to take on and off, plus they're cotton, so if I do miss, she usually lets me know right away. After she's peed, I usually give her a while nakeybutt no matter whether I'm carrying her or if she's on the floor (sometimes I give her a long time if I'm going to be right there with her paying attention and I don't care about cleaning up a pee spot). If I feel like I'll be bummed with an "accident" I offer the potty after a little bit and if it's a no go I put the dipe back on.

What do you do for nights? Bumkins AIO's...We don't miss much at night, but I REALLY hate waking up to pee in the bed, so we keep the dipes on.

What do you do for being out and about? Usually diaper, although I don't always remember to bring a spare. Usually the one she's wearing will last us the whole trip, and if we have a miss, I'll just take it off and let her go nakeybutt the rest of the trip.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Relaxing about it makes a huge difference to me and dd. If I find myself getting up tight about it (not wanting a miss), I tend to offer the potty too much, which makes dd frustrated, and she then stops letting me try even when I know she needs to go (and forget about cueing if she's frustrated about it). We are both happier when I'm relaxed about it and wait for a signal (or at least an hour or so) to take her to the potty. If I'm finding myself offering too often, I put the dipe back on so I can relax.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I LOVE not cleaning poopy diapers!!! Every time we have one of our extremely rare poop misses, it just reminds me how HAPPY I am that I don't have to clean poop out of a cloth diaper (or off my daughter!) more than once a month or so. I was walking with two friends this morning talking about how hard it is to change their ds's diapers since they're both so mobile and won't lay still for the changing process. One friend was saying she was changing him standing up for a while, but the poop was a problem, so she now just pins him to the ground with her leg! I tried to be sympathetic (there but for the grace of God go I and all that...we really started this because I got lucky and someone sent me an email to a good EC website at 3 mos!), but inside I was SOOOOO happy that we are doing EC and she's hardly ever in a poopy diaper and I can change a pee diaper while she's crawling...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#12 of 111 Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Hi, I just found this forum today (don't know why I didn't look for it before), but I am so excited.

I've been EC-ing my 7-week old daughter for 4 1/2 weeks now, and I love it.
I read a mention about in Mothering a few months before she was born and thought it made so much sense, I've seen toddlers refuse to tell or go, or actually run and hide when they poop. So I thought hey, what a way to avoid that power struggle.

My mom was rather negative, said it would be hard work, I said not anymore than changing diapers (which it is slightly more time-consuming, but so much easier than wiping poopy out of all those girly creases!) not to mention changing her five minutes after the last time, which I was b/c I didn't want her to get used to being wet, and it worked. So I was discouraged (and tired) and didn't start right away at birth with her.

She cries or squawks a little and will 'tell' me she has to go again, even if she's just gone, and I've laid her down to put her diaper (back) on.

My DH was rather reluctant when I started, and I just did it myself, but boy, was I pleased the first time I was in the kitchen and heard him cueing her, "Pssssss--let's go potty." And she went for him, so he does it. He's afraid of not holding her securely; I rest her shoulders/head against my chest--boobs are handy for more than a few things!

We do sposies, but I want to go to cloth/panties sometime.

As they get older, is it easier to 'catch' them, when can they wait a little longer? I read of one woman who was diaperless at 12 weeks, I guess I'm not quite ready for that, but would love to forgo diapers.

I gtg, but my favourite parts are letting her be nakey and how she smiles and laughs after/while she's going. And knowing we are meeting a need and understanding her.

Oh, and what is BBLP? I can't figure that one out! :

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#13 of 111 Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, it sounds like things are going great for so many of you...especially those of you who just started...I kind of miss that tiny baby stage!

Maggirayne...BBLP is Baby Bjorn Little Potty, it's small enough for most babies to sit on from a few months on (supported, at first, of course!) and a lot of us find it very useful when the babe is getting too heavy to hold over something!

I think whether it gets "easier" is subjective...as they start being able to do other things, they may get distracted, and you have to be more "on the ball" so to speak about pottying them, but I find, for us at least, that as time goes on we're just getting so used to it that it's not something you think about as much, but just something you do!

I love being able to read about where people are in their EC journey! I hope you all come back next month to do another update!

#14 of 111 Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 PM

How old is your child? 4 months

When did you start EC? 3 months

How's it going at this age? So far so good. The best day we had was the first one! And today we just caught his bi-weekly poop. This is only his second one since we started so I guess you can say I've only missed one poop!

When are you having misses? When we started I had him diaperless/coverless more. Now I just offer the potty when he wakes up or whenever he is getting changed or has his diaper off for some reason, so we don't catch everything.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? For pee, timing. Unless he has his diaper off and I can *tell* that he needs to go. For the poop I caught today I picked up on severl signals throughout the morning and then he was arching his back a lot which he never does.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? A little of everything. Depends on the day.

What do you do for nights? Diaper.

What do you do for being out and about? Diaper. I've tried him on the potty a couple times if we're at someone's house.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? I tried once before he could sit up assisted and it didn't work for me at all, so for me it was good to wait until that time period when he could sit up with my help.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I guess he can't run away from me yet!
#15 of 111 Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post

How old is your child? almost 11 months
When did you start EC? sort of from birth, but mostly full time around 1.5 months
How's it going at this age? learning how to deal with strikes, especially poop success. Mobility is making things more difficult, and she won't yet sit on her potty, I still have to hold her
When are you having misses? early early morning, and when nakey butt around the house if I'm not paying attention
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? DD uses the ASL toilet sign, and also climbs my legs and fusses when she needs to pee. Poop is a different more frantic fuss, an she starts to crawl in circles or backwards!
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Either nakey butt or Fuzzi Bunz, the rare disposable when we haven't gotten to laundry for a while.
What do you do for nights? Did no diaper for a while, but was having misses, which stressed me out and caused lost sleep, so Fuzzi Bunz for now. Only usually one pee just before we wake up, or dry diaper come morning
What do you do for being out and about? Either nothing or Fuzzi Bunz, depends on the venue. We also offer pottytunity before leaving and on arrival. I carry a plastic tupperware in the car for longer trips
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Keep going with the communication when they strike
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? We don't have a toilet or hot water, but an outhouse, so I love that I didn't have to change poopy diapers for a long time, and right now, I am appreciating DD's increasing communication in unavoidable clarity, like the ASL sign. I am amazed by this!

...and any other info you want to share!
I have been the talk of the town with several people calling me the lady with the magic baby!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#16 of 111 Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

It's been another month! (Yikes! How does that keep happening!) Let's here how it's going with your babes!

How old is your child?8 months

When did you start EC? Part time from birth, full time from 1 month

How's it going at this age? Not too badly, almost 100% on poops (well, okay, we had a big miss and he hasn't pooped since, but other than that...) and probably 75% of pees.

When are you having misses? Floor time, definately. It's a definate miss when he's playing on his tummy. He does fuss occasionally, but it's not consistant. Other than that, I don't think I can peg any specific time down, it's really mostly when he's playing on the floor.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Occasionally he'll get fussy, and he tries to get out of the sling, but other than that, it's mostly intuition. If we're out he signals fairly well by crying, screaming, fussing, SOMETHING, but certainly not at home. The "signalling baby" phase is certainly over.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Mostly undies, although after the poop incident (see how it scared me?) he's been in diapers more. After I get my confidence back he'll be back in undies though.

What do you do for nights? Diapers at night, because sometimes I just don't wake up fast enough! We potty him when he wakes though, and then he nurses back to sleep. I see us doing this routine for a LONG time!

What do you do for being out and about?BBLP in the car before and after we go somewhere, and public bathrooms if necessary. We generally use some kind of backup, whether it be absorbant trainers or diapers or SIMPLYcovers with inserts. If he's just in the sling, sometimes we just do undies.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?This is a tough age for us all around, and EC is no exception. DS is strugging with teething, and learning how to crawl, and sit well, and how solid food is changing his digestive system, so he's kind of a clingy, whiney mess a lot of the day, which takes it's toll and makes EC sometimes feel like a chore (evidently I'm being REALLY honest here! ) But...we feel that it's really important to keep the communication up, and we're just trying to respect when he doesn't want to sit on the potty, even though it probably means a miss a few minutes later. It's a journey. Right now, this age is about ME re-working my expectations, and trying to figure out how I can EC without stressing out about it, and keeping it fun for DS. It does go pretty well most days, but I have to remember that this is about him, not about me.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Despite the negativity of the last section, it's still fun! When DS is sitting and playing and has to go to the bathroom, he lunges for me, so that's awesome. And he really likes when I turn the potty around and help him stand up off of it when he's done. He also has developed a proficency at using the remotes to turn off whatever we're watching, or fast forward it or something, which is amusing. He just wants to play all the time, and if I incorporate it into potty time, then all is well. It's also nice to be able to have him in undies when it's really hot out, because they seem so much cooler (temperature-wise, I mean!) than diapers!

#17 of 111 Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM

How old is your child? 19mos & 6mos
When did you start EC? 4mos & 2mos
How's it going at this age? fully day time trained still working on nights & Eva is doing great, i catch almost everything while she is awake.
When are you having misses? when she just wakes up or floor time and the excercauser outside.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? yes all the time we taught her to pat her chest twice & not really no, she is whiny by nature so i haven't pin pointed which whine means potty.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? panties & nothing or panties. What do you do for nights?
What do you do for being out and about? cloth for naps sposies for night, i offer the potty before i go to bed and early in the morning.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? do not run water without baby on the potty!!!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? i love how we have a diff relationship a stronger relationship.

how do i change the color of my answers?
#18 of 111 Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Lia & Eva's Mama! To change the color you highlight it and then click on the A with a little down arrow next to it, and then choose a color. (There should be a little toolbar above where you're typing)...hope that makes sense!

Sounds like your kids are doing great...wow 19 months and day trained! That's awesome! I need to remember that patting thing...I really want to start it with DS!

#19 of 111 Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Thank you Lexmas!
she was actually day time trained at about 14mos, thats when i gave up and let her go by herself.
#20 of 111 Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

How old is your child?
My DD is 14 1/2 weeks old.

When did you start EC?
I started when she was 3 1/2 weeks.

It's been rougher. At the beginning she was doing great signaling, but she got thrush and didn't have a BM for 10 days, so she quit signalling to poop. She's not as good at signalling at all now. She will wake up dry at least 5 of 7 mornings! And when she's dry, she'll go for me really good.

When I'm on the computer! Not as much, I pay attention to her when she's next to me. If I have her in the swing or not right with me, we have more misses. And she's not been signalling, so I'll give her a pee-tunity, and she won't go, but five minutes later, she'll cry and be wet.

She cries, has a "unhuhhhh-pause-unhuhhh" potty-cry and cry-crying if I don't get to her immediately. I've gotten better at paying attention to my intuition after 2 or 3 times, I think "I wonder if she has to go," and then when I check she is going or is wet and was dry right before, or I got peed on.

We've been using sposies, I just ordered CDs, (thank God for eBay!) I let her lay nakey-bum on the changing mat, and I will hold her. DH freaks out when she pees on me. It cracks me up. It's pee, it washes. It's poop, it usually doesn't stink (yay for breastmilk!).

She wakes up dry in the a.m., so nothing. I was checking her and she was dry and I was like, why am I waking her up to change her when she's dry? So I quit checking, figured she'd fuss if she was wet, which she does. Sometimes she goes early while she's half-waking up, and I change her and she goes back to sleep, don't try to see if she has to go. I keep a bowl by our bed.

Try to check when I think she needs to go, depends where we are, how easy it is, change her in the car and let her pee in dipe, public restrooms are awful.

Take it easy, don't spaz over misses, just enjoy it.

I love how she smiles and laughs while we're making the Psss, I think she likes the sound!

It's great for car trips, pull over on the exit and hold her across my lap with her little heiney hanging out the door. Actually, my favourite part is watching DH when she goes on me. I had her on my tummy one morning nakey bum and she poops, (she was really little so super runny poop), and it running down my sides and between my legs, and he's going, "It's all over the bed! It's all over the bed!" I look and there are two spots, nickel and dime-sized on the sheet. Mind you, it's all over my belly/underwear. I looked at him and say, "Honey, it's ALL OVER me!'

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#21 of 111 Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM

How old is your child?
Almost 8 weeks.

When did you start EC?
We started gradually at a few days after birth.

I think it's going great - we're catching probably 95% of poops now that he stopped pooping so much, and 60-75% of pees.

He still pees while sleeping, so we miss then, and when I ignore the feeling he needs to pee. Also sometimes when he's nursing or doing something else and I miss his signals.

We use timing a lot (just after waking, right after nursing and then again every 20-40 minutes for a while), but in combination with signals - he fusses a little and thrashes his legs and arms around. Or if he's nursing he pops on and off like he's not sure if he'd rather pee or eat. For pooping, the signal I usually catch is farting.

Usually prefolds with no cover, but I try to let him have at least an hour of naked time every day, and more if I'm feeling motivated.

Usually pocket diapers, although I will take him to pee if he is awake nursing anyway. His diapers are always wet, every time he wakes up so I want to keep him in diapers for a while yet.

Pocket diapers or disposable diapers. If I have a good opportunity (handicap stall with changing table, bush while on hike) and I know he has to go I'll pee him when we're out.

It really is easier than it sounds, and they catch on SO quick. The limiting factor is really how much you feel like paying attention at that moment.

Just a few days ago he suddenly went from 3-4 poops per day to pooping about every 16 hours. So if that sticks around, that's my favorite - less poopies! Although it's awesome not to have to clean poopy diapers much either. And when he grins at me in the mirror before he pees.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#22 of 111 Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM

Maggirayne- You are in ND? I am from there! It is really weird for me to find someone doing EC in that state...or do you know others who are doing it? What part of the state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#23 of 111 Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How old is your child? 3.5mos

When did you start EC? 2mos?

How's it going at this age? Not bad, he seems to "hold" his poos more. He gets very distracted though my the bathroom mirror!

When are you having misses? In the morning while I get ready for work I often miss a couple pees and sometimes a poo

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? I just "know" usually he wiggles a lot when he needs to pee and grunts when he has to poo - he also fusses sometimes when he has to go

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? diapers

What do you do for nights? he wears his dipes, but he almost always wakes up dry - the trick is pottying him first thing when he gets up. Sometimes he gets very wiggly around 3am and I wake him up to pee because I can't sleep lol

What do you do for being out and about? Usually he just goes in his dipe, but if I notice he needs to go and it is at least halfway convenient to take him I do...gotta love the reaction from others when using public restrooms!

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? We have to cue him more than once because he gets distracted, for us it is "psss" and a grunt. We also do the potty sign and talk about peepies and poopies. Once I was telling DH how good the babe did about using the potty and he heard me and went in his dipe lol...I think he thought I was cuing him to go.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? His cute little smiling face when we cheer for him.
#24 of 111 Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM

How old is your child? 5 days shy of 5 months

When did you start EC? 4 months

How's it going at this age? Awesome, actually! We catch quite a few pees on a daily basis; she even goes diaper-free at night and I am able to catch them. Sometimes the morning gets more challenging since she pees more.

When are you having misses? I miss poops a lot; she has an unpredictable poo schedule and sometimes it is a complete surprise. I also miss if I am trying to do other things, like clean, make dinner, etc.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Mostly just timing; she does sometimes hold very still or make grunting noises when she has to poo, but that's about it.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? AIOs when we go out or have company over. I usually keep her nakey butt with a prefold under her in the evenings and weekend (I WOH).

What do you do for nights? Diaper-free on a prefold and Nekkie Blankie. She doesn't pee until after she nurses, so I take her to the potty. I catch most of them at night.

What do you do for being out and about? AIOs

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Follow baby's lead and try not to get frustrated when one minute they are fine with the potty and the next they are not. :

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Just taking the time and connecting with her on that level is amazing...
#25 of 111 Old 08-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Actually, my favourite part is watching DH when she goes on me. I had her on my tummy one morning nakey bum and she poops, (she was really little so super runny poop), and it running down my sides and between my legs, and he's going, "It's all over the bed! It's all over the bed!" I look and there are two spots, nickel and dime-sized on the sheet. Mind you, it's all over my belly/underwear. I looked at him and say, "Honey, it's ALL OVER me!'

What's the big deal anyways? My DH makes a big deal out of it too... it all washes off! He's getting better though. I think it may be a little ingrained to freak out and you stop once you realize how silly it is. Hehe.
#26 of 111 Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 PM

How old is your child? 21 months

When did you start EC? 12 months

How's it going at this age? It's been rough since 18 months (much easier earlier on), but the past week has been hopeful (keeping my fingers crossed!).

When are you having misses? She has been pooping on the potty since 14 months old, so I never miss those. She's really good about always telling us she needs to go poop. Pees are harder for us. Misses are either early in the morning or late afternoon.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? She has been signaling for poops since 14 months old. At 16 months she stopped signing and started saying "potty." Now at 21 months, she says, "I go potty" for both poop and pee. If she has an accident, she says, "Peed on floor."

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Panties full time except for naps and nighttime. She's been in panties since 16 months at home and 18 months for out of the house.

What do you do for nights? Diaper

What do you do for being out and about? Panties. We have a little potty in the van.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Not really. I feel like I'm taking all the advice, and I don't feel confident enough to give any!

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Seeing her independence (taking off her panties by herself, sitting on the toilet by herself, etc). My favorite part of EC as a whole is reducing waste!
#27 of 111 Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM

How old is your child? 9 weeks on Tuesday
When did you start EC? Birth
How's it going at this age? Wonderful! We catch about 98% of her poos now and about 50% of her pees!
When are you having misses? (only pee misses)In the bouncy seat, nursing, at nighttime
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? She cries and pushes to poo, and we are using timing for pees and sometimes she cries and squirms to pee. We had one day last week where we didn't miss one pee or poo because she cried everytime she needed to go...that has not happened since but it was cool anyway--however with a newborn I was either pottying her or feeding her all day..
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? cd's and nakey butt
What do you do for nights? Poo her if she needs to go and if she truly fusses pee her. Usually I double up her diapers cause she'll pee through them now
What do you do for being out and about? take the potty and go if it's relatives. if it's not I pee her in a diaper or try a sink or the big potty. she refuses to poop anywhere but her potty most of the time
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? If you truly believe with all your heart that this is best for her/him, and you are truly sold out on making it work, it will work! Trust your instincts and your baby that he/she truly do want to be dry and that this is best for them. And don't stress at all about misses because you know one day there will be none! Last thing: Have fun with it and laugh about it with you and your baby--keep potty time stress free.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? She makes eye contact long times with me and smiles--this has translated into her finally being able to signal giving me looks that clearly mean potty..so adorable! I love that I can understand what she wants by looking into her eyes.

Most importantly: You must be 100% sold on this method and believe that you have made a wise decision and roll with it. Any lack of confidance will be sensed by your baby and your critics and--potty time will turn into a stressful time. I'm trying to enjoy this as a process as many on here have advised me to do. Once you accept that it is a process you can enjoy the whole thing getting peed on and all!
#28 of 111 Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 AM

How fun, Lexmas.

How old is your child? 10 months today- yowza. Two months to a year!

When did you start EC? 4 days

How's it going at this age? Great. It's been two steps forward, one step back (especially with introductions of solids) but I think that we're finally really in the groove, and have been for a month or so.

When are you having misses? When mommy is on the computer or cooking. : Oh, yeah. Sometimes, if she has nursed a lot at night (when we've been out and about during the day, usually), then she will need to pee a lot from 7 - 10, and if I'm sleeping in, we have some misses.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Not signals, but signs- what I mean is, it's not deliberate, but she does get a certain look about her. We also use timing and instinct. She also waits.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Regular tiny panties.

What do you do for nights? I used to put a prefold under her but it's no use, because now she crawls in her sleep.

What do you do for being out and about? Disposables when out and about (as I mentioned she grew out of the covers). However we can use one disposable for a week or so without her peeing in it.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? If a missed poop has chunks of solids in it, then it doesn't count as a miss, because it is a side effect of introducing solids and the baby can't feel it coming. Missed pees while baby is learning to crawl also don't count because of the stomach muscle use.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Actually not having to worry about it most of the time. No / few missed poops. Knowing that when we go out we're never going to have a blowout!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#29 of 111 Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

How old is your child? 9 months!

When did you start EC? Long story short, from 4 days-ish

How's it going at this age? Pretty well, we went through a poop miss phase for a little bit while he was starting to crawl, but poops seem to be back in the potty now for the most part. Pees, well, I just got rid of dairy from my diet, and it's remarkable what a difference it makes! He's working on the whole "how long can I hold it" thing, but he's doing really well.

When are you having misses? Hmm, I've been really laid back about it, so I have to think about this one! During floortime, but that's mostly *my* missing it, because he'll fuss and I'll misinterpret it...but sometimes what he's doing is more important to him than pottying as well. Sometimes in the car if he doesn't want to go before we leave.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? He'll fuss before/right after he pees (usually) when he's playing, I think the rest of the time we just use timing for wake up pees and before and after we do something...maybe we just guess from his body language the rest of the time, or if we think it's been awhile? Haha, can you tell it's become routine, I can't even answer my own questions anymore!

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Well, he's in diapers right now (I know, I know, I just made that post about hating diapers!) but it's because he "creeps" and doesn't "crawl", so he's dragging his body across the ground, and tearing up his covers. So I feel more comfortable having that padding on him, because nakeybutt or undies would not work right now. (OUCH!) I like to use kissaluvs or trainers, but if we run out we just use covers and thin prefolds. Once he gets his stomach off the ground, or starts walking, we're planning on returning to undies or just pants. I miss not using diapers, it was so much easier!

What do you do for nights? DS is in a diaper, always has been, but I offer the potty when he wakes up. Lately he's started to prefer to nurse first, or realizes that he doesn't have to pee every time he wants to nurse, so that's pretty confusing, but I try to go along with his signals. Sometimes that ends in a wet diaper, but most of the time it goes well. Again, this has gotten better with removing dairy from my diet.

What do you do for being out and about? Potty him as we go, it's warm enough that normally we just pee him discretely next to the car, although we do have a "car potty". We've also gotten better about pottying him in public bathrooms, I've pretty much stopped caring what other people think about it! If we're at someone's house, we just use their bathroom. He's pretty good about signalling when we're out, even if he's busy playing with other babies or something.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Well, in our case, DS was peeing a LOT, and pooping very infrequently, so I had to think about food sensitivities. I knew he was sensitive to dairy when he was a tiny baby, but he had gotten better with it. However, I went on a kind of a dairy binge for a few weeks, and then trouble started. EC is much easier without any dairy at all though, so I'll have to look into other foods for calcium! So, if you think your dc has a pee frequency that's too often (DS was peeing like a newborn, every 15 minutes sometimes, and randomly with the timing) maybe it should be something to look into.

Also, with DS's increasing mobility, I've gotten really laid back about EC. I was stressing about it way too much which made me not really enjoy my one on one time with DS. So, now I give 80% instead of 100%, and I don't even think about it anymore, EC is just part of the fabric of our lives. It's wonderful, and I'm so glad that I'm not stressing about every pee and can still enjoy EC! So relax!

I like that I feel like he's become a total active participant. Occasionally he'll crawl to me if he has to go, and I can tell he's working on how long he can go between potty ops and the like. It's nice.

I hope some of the people who posted at the beginning will come back and give us an update!

#30 of 111 Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

"Well, he's in diapers right now (I know, I know, I just made that post about hating diapers!) but it's because he "creeps" and doesn't "crawl", so he's dragging his body across the ground, and tearing up his covers. So I feel more comfortable having that padding on him, because nakeybutt or undies would not work right now. (OUCH!)"

He might crawl faster if you took off the diapers.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page