12 mth old mimics me cleaning up misses! Is this a good sign or a bad sign? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday DD who generally is really doing well on the EC front (but not signaling much at all) had some loose stool, and when that happens it generally ends up on the floor unlike normal poos which 99% end up in the potty... and it did in fact end up on the floor. Anyway, that was a fluke, but as I was cleaning it up, I noticed DD behind me with a handful of wipes "cleaning" the floor!!! She was squatting down wiping the floor, then moving to another spot and wiping some more. :

It was both cute (b/c she was mimicking me), sad (b/c apparently I do this enough for her to have picked it up), and frustrating as heck (b/c if she knows that after she goes on the floor we clean it up)!!!!

I've seen her do this a few times now though usually for pee misses b/c we rarely have poo misses. Is this a bad sign? Does it mean that she thinks typical potty protocol is 1. pee on floor, 2. run around in it, 3. clean it up, NOT 1. tell mommy, 2. go on potty, 3. wipe bum? OR is this a good sign, showing that she maybe sometime soon she'll put everything together in her mind and know that when she goes on the potty we're happy and she's clean, and when she goes on the floor we're not as happy (although we don't make a huge deal out of it, we do tend to get a little frustrated , and we have to clean the floor?

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 01:04 PM

i don't think its much to worry about.. we started late and ds (24mo. old now started at 14mo.) he was bottomless and he peed on the floor went and got a prefold put it on the mess and started stepping on it (that's how we clean up) he did this all without dh noticing until ds was cleaning up..

i think its the most natural thing in the world for toddlers to mimick your behavior. Your daughter will pick up on what pleases you and what doesn't without much fanfare.. they are perceptive enough.. in my opinion

just my $.02
kat
#3 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 PM

We're late starters, too, and DD did the same thing. I think it's fine and a good thing! It shows that she's not shamed about making a mess and that it isn't a big deal to clean up. When DD had accidents I would just say, "oops, pee goes in the potty! let's clean up." No biggie.

#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2007, 01:22 PM

We were pretty early starters with DS (2.5mo) and by about 12-13mo he was "helping" me clean up misses. We had a really bad streak for mos 9-12 or so when he was learning to crawl then walk, so misses (especially pee but some poo) were frequent and I kept a basket of prefolds in the living room for quick cleanups.

DS started just heading for the basket right after he peed on the floor and trying to wipe the miss up himself. I worried a little that he would just pee on the floor forever (especially the couple of times he went and got a prefold, threw it on the floor, and peed on it! : ) but once he was a pretty sure walker we got back on track with good signals and few misses.

Looking back I think it was actually really great that he understood that pee shouldn't stay on the floor and should be cleaned up quickly, and helped him to learn to signal to get to the potty in time so there wouldn't be a mess on the floor. Plus it was really cute that he liked to help me around the house in general.

Oh and like a PP, I also usually just acknowledge(d) a miss with an "oops you peed on the floor, next time let's go in the potty."

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page