Too late to try EC toilet learning? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My babe is 14 months (bigger than a 'baby', not quite yet a toddler... lol). He is one smart little cookie (lots of words, and has two older brothers challenging his learning). My middle ds just potty-trained, and it occurred to me that I bet if my babe were to take just one pee in the potty, he would figure out that's what it was for. Has anyone tried helping a toddler to learn to use the potty? I don't want to push him, or enforce using the potty, of course... but having just one kid down to diapers is kind of a tease about having no diapers to change at all. We've been using cloth about 1/2 the time on babe too.

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My niece started pottying (traditional PL) when my SIL PL-ed my nephew(don't know when they started), he was 2 1/2, and she was over a year, but not much. She was wearing panties all day by Christmas at 19 mos.

If he can tell when he's going would be the big thing, IMO. So just give him a chance when he's been dry for awhile or grunts(if he does that when pooing). I'd go for it. Is he watching his older brothers, then you've got a perfect opportunity and you can't beat that desire to copy that they have.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#3 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Three_Sons View Post

Has anyone tried helping a toddler to learn to use the potty?
That question sounds so weird to me. As everyone I know have 'taught' their toddler 'to use' the potty. And all/most of these people toddlers 'trained' by 2 2 1/2. That is what we/they all use to do in the old days.

It is never to late to try EC or potty learning. You should check out the Elimination forum. I did it parttime and then slacked for a while. I started back when he was about 12/13months. He is now 18 months and use it independantly(for pee and poop) at home when he is diaper-free and need help to take cloths off when at home. We are working on public places.

The best times are usually as soon as they wake up in the morning, after naps, and anytime you realize they haven't gone in a long time. Just go slow, I would say not to much pressure or show too much frustration as they can feed off of that. DS went through a phase (around 16/17mo) where he would wait last minute to seat on the potty. I made lite of it my pretending to pee smiling on it while he was jumping up and down and he taught it was funny and sat on it before it started to leak and have ever since. But everyone is different. Check out the forum.

#4 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 PM

We started EC around 8 months, which is late by EC standards. My DS has been using the potty pretty exclusively for poop since then. We seldom catch pee but I was not as concerned with that one. Now at 17 months he gives the sign for poop, walks to the bathroom and puts his seat on the big potty, then waits for me to undress him and help him up. It works great for us as we CD and I no longer have to deal with poop diapers. I say give it a go. You never know!
#5 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 06:48 PM

We were doing a little bit of EC before 13/14 mo., but after ds could walk at 13 mo. and was taking his dipe off before he had to pee, we decided to go for it. He has been going independently since 20 mo. It was great! Visit the EC forum for support and ideas. Good luck.

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's worth a go. If you don't want to jump into nakey-bum, if you could use cloth without covers or just underwear, you'd be able to tell when he's peeing without a huge mess. I would say the first step is to start cuing him when you know he's peeing (a gentle "psssss") just to raise his awareness and open the lines of elimination communication. I wouldn't give any other reaction than that- don't scramble to make the toilet, don't freak out about messes, just cue. When you're feeling ready and think he might be ready to go, hold him over the bath tub, potty, bush, or wherever and give him the cue that he's good to pee ("pssssss").

A pp mentioned good times to pee (wake ups, after feeding, etc.) but keep a look out for signs: eye-rubbing, fussiness for no other obvious reasons, a swelling penis.

Just jump in and have fun while you figure it all out!

Laurie, wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH (Aug/04), mom to
DS1 (Nov/05),
DS2 (June/12),
DD (May/15). 
#7 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM

With my first I didn't know the term EC - I just happened to start putting him on the pot right around 12-13 months and he was fully trained by 18 months. I don't think it is too late at all. Now I just sort of part time do it up until about a year then I get more serious. (My second was trained by 17 months). I am hoping for the same this time - my plan is only to have one in diapers at a time and I only have a little bit of time left!
#8 of 12 Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I scanned the forums for an EC Forum prior to posting but obviously missed it... I will go search it out and think over the helpful replies. After changing diapers for a solid 5 3/4 years, I am ready to be done with diapers.

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
#9 of 12 Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoBo View Post
With my first I didn't know the term EC - I just happened to start putting him on the pot right around 12-13 months and he was fully trained by 18 months. I don't think it is too late at all. Now I just sort of part time do it up until about a year then I get more serious. (My second was trained by 17 months). I am hoping for the same this time - my plan is only to have one in diapers at a time and I only have a little bit of time left!
Was your DCs trained out in public also? That is my problem right now. I am thinking because I put a diaper on him and at home I don't.
#10 of 12 Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Haven't read the responses. Nope, not too late. Check out diaperfreebaby.org.

Homeschooling and loving it.
#11 of 12 Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not too late at all; a friend of mine started at 14 months and at 18 months he's doing really well, definitely better than if she hadn't, you know? Focus on communicating about it vs. goal-setting...
#12 of 12 Old 05-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Moving this to Elimination Communication forum (counterintuitively, it's a subforum of Diapering ).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page