potty strike at three months?!? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. Every time I have a problem with EC'ing, it seems like just posting it on here helps...maybe it makes me think about it better, or something. Anyway, here goes.

We've been EC'ing DD since she was two weeks, and she's almost twelve weeks now. We started out mostly offering at diaper changes, and gradually catching more and more as I became more aware of her timing. A couple weeks ago I started keeping her pretty much diaper-free during the day, and we were catching almost everything...we were regularly going anywhere from five to eight hours with no misses.

Anyway, toward the end of last week we started having a lot of misses. She also just started being really fussy a lot, and her patterns seemed to be changing, so I put her in diaper for a few days...but this week I decided I wanted to go back to having her diaper-free and just observing more than trying to catch so I could figure out her new patterns. Well, yesterday her patterns seemed the same as they have been (poop every other morning between 9 and 10 am; pee every twenty minutes in the morning and every hour in the afternoon). But lately it seems like every time I try to offer the potty she freaks out. She screams and arches her back--which is usually what she does when she doesn't need to go, but then she pees half a minute later. It's fine with me if she just doesn't want to go in the bathroom, and I don't mind getting peed on or cleaning it up, but I just want to know if this is normal for a three month old! I've tried peeing her outside, in a bowl, in the sink, and on a prefold in my lap, with varying success. Usually she is most happy about peeing when she first wakes up, and she's most upset about it with her rapid-fire pees in the morning. I had thought that maybe it was because she didn't need to pee so often anymore in the morning, but like I said, when I tried not catching them, she still was peeing every 20 minutes. Anyway...sorry so long; just want some thoughts on what could be causing this! Could she be about to hit a developmental milestone? (Like, I dunno, sleeping more than two or three hours straight at night? Tell me that's why this is happening! )

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Hey, there! My son is 4 months, and he has started doing that, too. I would say, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I've found that if I have a toy (or a hat, or a pacifier clip, anything really) handy, it helps a lot, even more now that he can play with it himself. But it still helped him sit on the potty longer before he could manipulate it.
#3 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM

no idea why it's happening but we have been going through the same thing here the last week or so at 3 1/2 mo. we've caught a few pees today, but with us he will fuss/signal no at the potty even tho I know he needs to go and then will go in the diaper a few minutes later. I am just thinking it's a phase and will pass at some point...I hope

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!

#4 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems like lots of babies go through this when they start to "get" that they can hold it. It's like something clicks for them and they realize that they don't have to go ALL the time, and they start to strengthen those muscles. But then they have to remember how to relax them too, and that's hard. They WANT to go, they know where they want to go, but they're thinking about it too hard. So they can't pee until they give up, get off the potty and relax, and suddenly before they realize it, they're peeing! (the "pee-right-next-to-the-potty" syndrome) I think it's actually a good sign, because it shows that they're starting to get it. (Listen to me, like I really know what I'm talking about...but my dd definitely went through this too, and I've read a lot of similar posts, so we're not alone!)

What I did with my dd was get her on the potty, and give her a binky/boob/toy or anything to help her to relax. Sometimes, I act like I'm relaxing (big sigh, drop my shoulders, goofy grin) and it helps her relax too. If that doesn't work for you, just give it time. I think he'll figure it out

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! Yeah, I've heard about the pee-next-to-the-potty syndrome; I just didn't realize it could start so early. She isn't even old enough to be interested in toys yet. But i do think she might be figuring out that she can hold it, because she is starting to go for longer periods without peeing, at least sometimes. Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that some other babies not much older than mine are doing this, too!

I'm going to get a baby bjorn little potty too, maybe that will help...right now I just hold her over the toilet.

Going outside really helped today, though!

It's so amazing to see them learning so much about their bodies so early! She hasn't even figured out how to grab things or reach for things yet, and already she's learning to hold her pee...

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 01:51 PM

We had the same thing at about 3.5-4 months, only a few weeks after starting EC in earnest. I still feel like I don't get it sometimes, but I find that this happens most late in the day, when we're both tired and I have less sense of what's going on with her patterns.

I didn't think of it in terms of a potty strike, though. Interesting. It's hard to know when to say, "Aw, c'mon, try again over here," and when she really doesn't need to go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page